Saw a Takashi Miike picture called The Great Yokai War. "Yokai" is a Japanese term for monsters from folklore, as opposed to the more familiar kaiju. It's a kids' picture, about a young boy from Tokyo sent out to live in the countryside with his older sister and his intermittently senile grandfather. When a vengeful spirit appears, the boy gets caught up in a war between warring groups of yokai and must find his courage to become the "Kirin Rider", the hero who will set everything to rights. It's not a bad picture - nothing deep, but an amusing story. Some of the yokai are really trippy, Japanese folklore can get pretty "out there", apparently.

Views: 28216

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I saw The Founder on a rental disk soon after it came out on DVD. I agree that it's a very good film. Michael Keaton does a masterful job of portraying a complex character who is not a villain but just isn't perfect.

I knew he had played non-comedy roles when he was announced as the lead in Batman, so unlike most comic fans I had no doubt he would do justice to Bruce Wayne. 

I noticed that The Founder was careful not to show Ray Kroc having an affair with the future Joan Kroc. Instantly smitten with her, even in the presence of her husband, yes. Deep, intense, late-night phone calls where they bond, yes. But nothing untoward between them -- just the moment at the end where they are together when he practices his speech for the award he's receiving and he thanks her as his wife.

I watched Futureworld for the first time tonight.
Words cannot describe how terrible this sequel to Westworld is.

I saw it when it first came out and haven't wanted to see it again. On the other hand I've watched Westworld several times. Some films really don't need a sequel.

I couldn't swallow Westworld because they made a big deal out of how the Yul Brynner robot sees in infra-red, but the heroes kept escaping him in ways that wouldn't work against someone who saw in infra-red. Like when they laid down on tables in the robot-making room, and the robot walked right past. Nope, they'd be glowing like Rudolph's nose to the robot.

The Westworld series on HBO was my favorite series on the network last season.
Looking forward to Season Two next year.

I watched The Hateful Eight tonight. It had watched it once before, but I had actually forgotten many of the details in the meantime. It's a story in which you end up not really rooting for any of the characters, and thus it comes to a quite satisfying conclusion.

Not sure if I've mentioned it, but since the school year has started, I have been watching one Tarantino movie a week. I have two left--Reservoir Dogs and Death Proof.

Saw Saw (2004). See. Saw. See?

I saw the movie in a theater back in the day. I like the HBO series: it takes the concept and makes it richer and deeper. I don't have an HBO subscription, but Sling TV offers weekend previews periodically. Last weekend I spent 4 hours watching the last part of the series (having seen the beginning during a previous free preview) and really enjoyed it.

Thomas Lupo said:

The Westworld series on HBO was my favorite series on the network last season.
Looking forward to Season Two next year.

The Baron said:

Saw Saw II (2005), too.

The Baron said:

The Baron said:

Saw Saw II (2005), too.

Saw Saw III (2006).

Now, see if you can guess what the next movie I'm going to watch will be.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service