Saw a Takashi Miike picture called The Great Yokai War. "Yokai" is a Japanese term for monsters from folklore, as opposed to the more familiar kaiju. It's a kids' picture, about a young boy from Tokyo sent out to live in the countryside with his older sister and his intermittently senile grandfather. When a vengeful spirit appears, the boy gets caught up in a war between warring groups of yokai and must find his courage to become the "Kirin Rider", the hero who will set everything to rights. It's not a bad picture - nothing deep, but an amusing story. Some of the yokai are really trippy, Japanese folklore can get pretty "out there", apparently.

Views: 27888

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I believe one reviewer actually called this film "a new low in Western Civilization," which I'd like to think, even in this case, is hyperbolic. But I'll never know because I won't be watching it.

ClarkKent_DC said:

I watched Sex and the City 2 last night. It was one of those cases where you've heard so much about it -- mostly negative -- and I wanted to see for myself what the fuss was about.

flash of leg, which makes a cabbie stop immediately. bang head photo banghead.gif

No wonder the movie won three of the seven Razzie Awards it was nominated for: the four leads jointly for Worst Actress, Worst Screen Ensemble, and Worst Prequel, Remake, Rip-off or Sequel.

ClarkKent_DC said:

I watched Sex and the City 2 last night. It was one of those cases where you've heard so much about it -- mostly negative -- and I wanted to see for myself what the fuss was about.

flash of leg, which makes a cabbie stop immediately. bang head photo banghead.gif

No wonder the movie won three of the seven Razzie Awards it was nominated for: the four leads jointly for Worst Actress, Worst Screen Ensemble, and Worst Prequel, Remake, Rip-off or Sequel.


JD DeLuzio said:

I believe one reviewer actually called this film "a new low in Western Civilization," which I'd like to think, even in this case, is hyperbolic. But I'll never know because I won't be watching it.

I can't disagree with that assessment. I haven't seen a lot of bad movies, and I don't go out of my way to find them (most of the time), but this one really smelled up the joint. 

As an old MSTie, I'm something of a connoisseur of bad movies.  It always interested me that the makers of MST3K said that there were some movies they saw that were so bad they weren't even useful to them as fodder for the show.

During the first nine weeks of school, each weekend, I decided this year to watch a different Quentin Tarantino movie. Last night, when I got home, I watched the final one, Death Proof. (No, I didn't watch them in order.) I love the way it was done in the 1970's grindhouse style, which added to the story in a way that wasn't cutesy.

The ending is just perfect. Kurt Russell is an American treasure. He's nothing fancy, but he doesn't want to be. He's incredible in all of his roles. I watched him a couple weeks back in The Hateful Eight as well. Fantastic performances all around here. I love how Tarantino never rests on an all-star cast. He knows how to cast his parts in the way that best suits the stories.

I saw Bladerunner 2049 on Saturday. I found the original to be entertaining enough, but not to waqtch more than twice in thirty five years. I feel pretty much the same about this one. I look forward to watching it again in 2049.

On Netflix streaming, I just watched

Tower (2016)

an excellent documentary of the 1966 mass shooting from the tower at the University of Texas in Austin. It is innovative in that it combines some archival footage with animation recreations. It's quite a time machine. The police were outgunned by a guy with a bolt-action rifle and ambulances were provided by funeral homes.*

* That was the case in suburban Los Angeles in the 60s, too!

I'd heard really good things about Tower. Glad to see it's on Netflix, and glad you liked it!

I haven't seen Death Proof since it was in the theaters as the Grindhouse double feature. We saw it on opening night. And man, that ending -- that final shot! -- had us leaving the theater practically BOUNCING.

Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man said:

During the first nine weeks of school, each weekend, I decided this year to watch a different Quentin Tarantino movie. Last night, when I got home, I watched the final one, Death Proof. (No, I didn't watch them in order.) I love the way it was done in the 1970's grindhouse style, which added to the story in a way that wasn't cutesy.

The ending is just perfect. Kurt Russell is an American treasure. He's nothing fancy, but he doesn't want to be. He's incredible in all of his roles. I watched him a couple weeks back in The Hateful Eight as well. Fantastic performances all around here. I love how Tarantino never rests on an all-star cast. He knows how to cast his parts in the way that best suits the stories.

I thought this was a very interesting experiment. It did a great job of bringing you in to the tension of the moment.

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

I'd heard really good things about Tower. Glad to see it's on Netflix, and glad you liked it!

I always love the way Kurt Russell goes from bravado to frightened wimp in one quick turn. It's so darn satisfying. You spend the last five minutes or so of the movie just laughing while he is chased down and eventually gets exactly what he has coming.

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

I haven't seen Death Proof since it was in the theaters as the Grindhouse double feature. We saw it on opening night. And man, that ending -- that final shot! -- had us leaving the theater practically BOUNCING.



Jeff of Earth-J said:

I saw Bladerunner 2049 on Saturday. I found the original to be entertaining enough, but not to waqtch more than twice in thirty five years. I feel pretty much the same about this one. I look forward to watching it again in 2049.


Blade Runner is one of those touchstone movies for me. First saw it in the theatre when I was 10 or 11. I've probably seen it 30 times since then. It's such a deeply embedded part of my movie dna that I'm hesitant to see the sequel.

Is there a particular one of the various alternate endings you prefer (and why)?

Personally, if you are that big a fan of the original I think you owe it to yourself to see the sequel. I think you'd like it.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service