Saw a Takashi Miike picture called The Great Yokai War. "Yokai" is a Japanese term for monsters from folklore, as opposed to the more familiar kaiju. It's a kids' picture, about a young boy from Tokyo sent out to live in the countryside with his older sister and his intermittently senile grandfather. When a vengeful spirit appears, the boy gets caught up in a war between warring groups of yokai and must find his courage to become the "Kirin Rider", the hero who will set everything to rights. It's not a bad picture - nothing deep, but an amusing story. Some of the yokai are really trippy, Japanese folklore can get pretty "out there", apparently.

Views: 32716

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

At the time, I was around 10 or 11 and had no idea a movie was coming out, but  did happen to pick up the first 6 or 7 issues of the Martin Pasko reboot and the Annual which adapted the movie. I also remember seeing the movie in the theatre and being pretty bored outside of a few Adrienne Barbeau scenes. Unfortunately didn't stick around long enough for the Alan Moore issues and ended up reading those years later.

Gosh, what was so interesting about the Adrienne Barbeau scenes?

Detective 445 said:

At the time, I was around 10 or 11 and had no idea a movie was coming out, but  did happen to pick up the first 6 or 7 issues of the Martin Pasko reboot and the Annual which adapted the movie. I also remember seeing the movie in the theatre and being pretty bored outside of a few Adrienne Barbeau scenes. Unfortunately didn't stick around long enough for the Alan Moore issues and ended up reading those years later.

On the "extras" menu, there was an interview with Adrienne Barbeau which lasted 16 minutes.

The interview with the guy who played the kid comedy relief lasted 15 minutes.

The interview with Len Wein lasted 14 minutes.

According to Barbeau, the movie was released in the US, then pulled because of a topless scene. (Apparently her contract didn't allow for her to be shown topless, although she didn't care one way or the other.) The European version (and the DVD) left the topless scene intact.

The comic book series revival did coincide with the release of the movie. (I'll have something to say shortly about the annual which adapts to movie on the "What Comic Books Have You Read Today?" discussion.)

We watched the first episode of the TV series last night. There's no origin, yet it seems to be a reboot of the movie since there's an entirely different Arcane (and no Abby).

Jeff of Earth-J said:

The interview with the guy who played the kid comedy relief lasted 15 minutes.

That kid reminded my brother and me of our nephew at the time we saw the movie.

"Uh huh. Here comes trouble."

Re-watched The Monster That Challenged The World (1957), which title is a bit off a misnomer, but I suppose The Monster That Challenged A Small Part Of Southern California wouldn't have sold as well.

That said, it's a serviceable late fifties giant critter flick, in which naval men battle giant mollusks.

Wikipedia tells me it starred Tim Holt. He had a career as a cowboy star and lead roles in The Magnificent Ambersons and The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, and was the "star" of ME's comic Tim Holt. Hobie Doyle from Hail Caesar! may have been semi-based on him.

The Salton Sea is worth looking up.

I'll give you two guesses.

Captain Comics said:

Detective 445 said:

Holt's character was fairly well-developed for a picture of this type.

Luke Blanchard said:

Wikipedia tells me it starred Tim Holt. He had a career as a cowboy star and lead roles in The Magnificent Ambersons and The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, and was the "star" of ME's comic Tim Holt. Hobie Doyle from Hail Caesar! may have been semi-based on him.

The Salton Sea is worth looking up.

The '70s fashions and effervescent line readings?

Doctor Hmmm? said:

Captain Comics said:

Detective 445 said:

It's like you read my mind!

Captain Comics said:

The '70s fashions and effervescent line readings?

Doctor Hmmm? said:

Captain Comics said:

Detective 445 said:

"I'll give you two guesses."

LOL!

Luke Blanchard said:

The Salton Sea is worth looking up

Just don't get close enough to smell it.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2018   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service