Craig hasn't posted the link to his Ask Mr. Silver Age article about the 1960s Harvey Heroes in Comics Buyers Guide #1680 (Aug. 2011) yet, so I'll try to be helpful and get some discussion going here.

The theme of this issue is comics we'd like to see reprinted, a topic the AMSA forumites have discussed frequently over the years. Mr. Age reviews Harvey's attempts to do super-heroes during the height of the Silver Age, 1965 or so. I've never seen any of these, and frankly, after his descriptions, I probably don't want to. Outside of some historical significance (Jim Steranko's early pre-Marvel work), I don't know that any of it is worth reprinting, even in a cheap format (although, as I frequently say I'd buy it!).

Once again I'm thankful that Mr. Silver Age is here to read this stuff so I don't have to.

Hoy

Views: 1135

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Was the Jaguar a Harvey super hero? 
He was one of  Archie's. In 1959 Archie started a superhero line with two Joe Simon titles, The Adventures of the Fly and The Double Life of Private StrongThe Double Life of Private Strong was cancelled after two issues. After #4 Archie took The Adventures of the Fly off Simon and produced it in-house, with Robert Bernstein writing. Adventures of the Jaguar, also written by Bernstein, joined it in 1961.

Has anyone got a link to the Charleton super-heroes?  A recent viewing of the classic movie "The Watchmen" has started my family discussing what Charleton heroes were, and how they could possible have "jumped companies" (Blue Beetle, Question, Captain Atom)  and why they might have changed them slightly for the Watchman movie.

PS: How many of the characters in Watchmen were drawn from Charleton heroes, and how many were cut from whole cloth?

Has anyone got a link to the Charleton super-heroes?  A recent viewing of the classic movie "The Watchmen" has started my family discussing what Charleton heroes were, and how they could possible have "jumped companies" (Blue Beetle, Question, Captain Atom)  and why they might have changed them slightly for the Watchman movie.

All the super hero characters in Watchmen were from Charlton. There were a few older heroes mentioned in the backstory who were probably made up, but in any case did not come from that source. Check the link below for the list, under 'characters'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watchmen

I've done a number of columns on Archie's heroes, including the Fly, Fly Girl and Jaguar. I kind of liked them back then for reasons that are hard to explain, and I've got all their issues. They were kind of like mac & cheese--you knew exactly what you were going to get, and it was kind of fun mixed in with all the other super-heroes. Marvel's heroes were smart-alecks, DC's made you read a lot of word balloons of explanations and plot twists, but Fly and Jaguar just did whatever they were doing.

If I hadn't done so many columns on them already, I might have done my Missing Reprints column on them, since I think Archie should give them a try. They did Fly and Shield reprints, but those were either GA or early SA and not like what subsequent Fly or a Jaguar reprint would be. (Plus, the chances of me doing Harvey's Heroes any other way was really slim, but that's another story).

-- MSA

Didn't Rob Liefeld buy or at least rent Fighting American from Joe Simon after Simon tried and failed to get Captain America back?

Liefelt had several versions of FA, but it was he who had the run-ins with Marvel, not Simon.

Here's how Wikipedia put it:

"A two-issue miniseries (August–October 1997) from Awesome Entertainment, written by Rob Liefeld (story) and Jeph Loeb (script), and penciled by Liefeld and Stephen Platt, had originally been produced for the "Heroes Reborn" version of Captain America for Marvel Comics.[12] Here, Fighting American was a retired superhero coping with the death of his partner. The miniseries came about, Liefeld said in 2007, while he was packaging a Captain America series for Marvel. In early 1997, the company, which had filed for bankruptcy, asked Liefeld to accept lower payment for his studio's work. He refused and was removed from the series.

"Liefeld called Fighting American co-creator Joe Simon and Roz Kirby, widow of co-creator Jack Kirby, who agreed to license the character to him, but at a price Liefeld would not accept. Liefeld created the similar character Agent America, drawing "maybe three pinups and one poster image", but withdrew the character, he said, when Simon threatened to sue.

"Liefeld negotiated a new deal for Fighting American, but was then sued by Marvel. During the course of the trial, he said, his version of Fighting American acquired a shield. As one of the terms of the settlement, however, Fighting American was forbidden from throwing his shield like a weapon, to distinguish him from Captain America.[13]

"In later comics published by Awesome Entertainment, Fighting American was John Flagg, a former soldier who gained powers through an unspecified experiment "never to be duplicated." A subsequent miniseries, Rules of the Game, written by Loeb with art by Ed McGuinness, reintroduced some of the original Simon & Kirby villains. It was followed by the miniseries Dogs of War, written by Jim Starlin and penciled by Platt.

"While Awesome was legally prohibited from having him throw the shield, Rules and Dogs showed several additional weapons are built into it, including multiple spike projectiles, a Gatling gun and a mini-missile. This version has also used throwing stars tipped with tranquilizers."

Ah, those were the days! Truly awesome.

-- MSA

Hey, I remember seeing that 3 Rocketeers logo.  Did they ever appear on a cover, or have a masthead of their own? In the 1966-67 time period?

It was 1965. They had the lead/cover feature in Harvey's Blastoff comic;

-- MSA

There isn't one thing about that cover -- including the captions -- that isn't awesome. 

And yet, it was a one-shot collecting material planned for an earlier series that didn't get published. Three Rocketeers then moved into the Unearthly Spectaculars giant-sized anthology for a couple more appearances.

-- MSA

Looks Kirbyish.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service