Replies

• Really, it depends on who was writing him.

• I have never really liked Mxyzptlk as a character… too gimmicky. I think if you’re going to have a character that returns every 90 days to bedevil Superman, then you either have to use him every 90 days (story time) or explain why not. Probably the only Mxyzptlk I liked was the one in “Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?” in which he poses the question, “Did you really think a being from the fifth dimension looked like a little elf in a hat?” (or something to that effect).

The next time I see any of you in person, I’ll demonstrate the “correct” way to pronounce Mxyzptlk. (Remind me.)

• Mix-yez-pittle-ick was what I always heard.

• I've got to demonstrate the way I pronounce it.

• Oh, well, then.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

I've got to demonstrate the way I pronounce it.

• If I recall correctly, the ever-wonderful Superman encyclopedia by the late Michael L. Fleischer states "Mxyzptlk" is pronounced "Mix-yez-pittle-ick." The name of his Earth 2 counterpart, Mxyztplk, is pronounced "Mix-till-plick."

Hope this helps.

• Be sure to stand wayyyyyy back, folks.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

I've got to demonstrate the way I pronounce it.

• Mxyzptlk was a menace because he believed that he was above everyone else and that made it okay to disrupt the "merely" three-dimensional people. Superman was the person who said "No" to the Infernal Imp's misuse of power and held him responsible. Mxy cared nothing about consequences or repercussions because with every defeat, everything goes back to normal. In some ways, it was the ultimate "Get Out of Jail Free" card.

• "Be sure to stand wayyyyyy back, folks."

Oh, you've seen my demonstration before, then...?

• IIRC, both pronunciations were used kinda randomly until someone decided Mix-till-plick was Earth-Two and Mix-yez-pit-el-ick was Earth-One. Then the Earth-Two pronunciation was used on some cartoon or other, carving both pronunciations in stone for different fanboys, who will argue it until the heat death of the universe.

This reply was deleted.