Introduction to criminology, one of the pre-requesites for my degree in digital forensics, I made an off hand reference to Dragnet and Adam-12 and she'd never heard of them.  Nor did she get my reference to a 'man Friday' and none of my classmates know who Lana Turner or Jayne Mansfield was.

Fame is fleeting.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• photo doh.gif

I know the Miranda warning by heart because I heard it countless times on Adam-12

• Wow.

old photo old.gif

• I get not knowing Lana Turner or Jayne Mansfield, but I'd have thought anyone who knew law enforcement had heard of Dragnet at least.  It was a radio show, a tv show and a movie (twice, the original with Jack Web and the parody with Hanks and Akcroid)!  Adam -12 is a bit different maybe... 

It came about because she had assigned to do a quick paper on Eden Strang and watch a video.  I noticed the the video had been produced in 2001 and a quick check showed me that he was out of jail.  I remembered watching Dragnet as a kid and at the end of every show seeing what sentence the bad guys had gotten.  Years later when I watched the repeated shows on TV land I realized that enough time had passed that a lot those guys must have gotten out.  I had to explain this to her and then she laughed and promised to look up the show. 

Of course these days when I watch those shows I gaze longingly at the cars :)  But I also feel that considering the times that they were produced with the restrictions on sex and violence they did produce a very good drama.

• Wow, I don't just feel old, I feel ancient.

• Wow....just...wow....

I doubt she ever heard of the Kitty Genovese case...

• I really appreciated the bit in Watchmen regarding Kitty Genovese. For those who don't recall it, in the Watchmen universe Kitty Genovese had ordered a dress made of this miraculous new color-shifting fabric invented by Dr. Manhattan. When she was murdered in the same circumstances as our real timeline, Walter Kovacs comes into possession of the dress, making his Rorschach masks from it. Hopefully everybody who read Watchmen knew who Genovese was.

Alan Wright said:

I doubt she ever heard of the Kitty Genovese case...

• You know you're old when you get references teachers don't.

I remember a guy saying he was studying film noir. I suggested some films with Humphrey Bogart and Boris Karloff. He said who the hell are Humphrey Bogart and Boris Karloff? Karloff I can see him not getting unless he was into horror, Mr. Wong and Charlie Chan at the Opera are fairly obscure. But to say he knew all about film noir and never heard of Bogart was surprising. A lot of people, not just kids, seem to think dinosaurs walked the Earth back in the 1980s and the world didn't exist before that. Youtube is full of comments along the lines of "I love old fashioned movies--from the 90s!" There are people saying they wish Nickelodeon would go back to "the good old days of Spongebob instead of the junk they're making now!" I have socks older than Spongebob.

• You REALLY know you're old when the President is younger than you.

• You really know you're old when you have clothes older than the president.

• ClarkKent_DC said:

photo doh.gif

I know the Miranda warning by heart because I heard it countless times on Adam-12

But did you know that, hundreds of movies and episodes of television shows notwithstanding, U.S. law-enforcement officers have no obligation to read you your Miranda rights when you are arrested, and---again, films and television be damned---it does not taint the arrest that you are not read your rights?

When I was a cop, I used to love that.  I cannot tell you how many times I hooked a suspect up and dropped him off at intake, where upon he would yell, "You didn't read me my rights!", only to discover that it didn't matter.  And, yes, they were all convicted.

This reply was deleted.