Marvel Brings Back Their First Super Team 'The Invaders' In honor of Marvel's 80th anniversary, Chip Zdarsky will reunite Cap, Bucky, the Human Torch... and Namor!

PUBLISHED October 2, 2018 by Jamie Frevele

Lots of great Marvel news has been coming out of New York Comic Con 2018, including several announcements about upcoming books. As part of Marvel's 80th anniversary, one familiar name was dropped on Thursday with the news that MARVEL COMICS PRESENTS would be returning in January 2019: the Invaders!

Writer Chip Zdarsky will team up with penciler Carlos Magno to bring the new story of the Invaders to life in INVADERS #1 in January 2019! Artist Butch Guice will create the cover; Mico Suayan and Alex Ross will provide variant covers.

Marvel's first super team made its first appearance in AVENGERS #71 back in 1969. The WWII-era team consisted of Captain America, Bucky Barnes, the original Human Torch (plus his sidekick Toro), and Namor. The powerful foursome will reunite this winter -- with Bucky as the Winter Soldier and Namor as their enemy. INVADERS #1 will see Cap, Bucky, and Jim Hammond facing Namor down as the Sub-Mariner tries to unleash a new deadly threat.

INVADERS #1, written by Chip Zdarsky with art by Carlos Magno, will go on sale in January 2019!

Prepare for the return of MARVEL COMICS PRESENTS, coming in January! And stay tuned to Marvel.com for more exclusive New York Comic Con reveals.

Cosmic Ghost Rider Joins the Guardians of the Galaxy Donny Cates and Geoff Shaw assemble the new-look squad!

Guardians of the Galaxy

Last month, writer Donny Cates and artist Geoff Shaw revealed that their Guardians of the Galaxy would be made up of an all-new roster. And teasing the lineup, they asked #WhoAreTheGuardians? Today, we have our first answer...

The Cosmic Ghost Rider. Guardians of the Galaxy tease

A spacefaring Frank Castle, eons in the future, joins the new team next year when GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY begins anew in 2019.

The universe is on fire. Hundreds of worlds are at war. Never has there been such hatred and division across the cosmos. And in spite of all this, Thanos of Titan is still dead…or is he? Now, more than ever, the cosmos needs the Guardians of the Galaxy…but in the aftermath of the Infinity Wars, who is left to answer the call? Featuring every cosmic Super Hero in the known universe, a new adventure is set to begin.

“My first job at Marvel, with 'Thanos Wins', was inspired by the work of my hero, one of the greatest cosmic storytellers ever, Jim Starlin. So being able to tell that Thanos story was a dream come true,” says Cates. "And now that Thanos has died in the pages of INFINITY WARS, my best friend Geoff Shaw and I could not turn down the opportunity to tell a story set during the fallout of the Mad Titan’s death.”

“Geoff and I always lean towards stories that are a little bit loud," the writer explains, "and in space, the stakes and action can be bigger than anywhere else. This was our chance to do things we’ve always wanted to do. To tear #$%@ up.”

“And of course Cosmic Ghost Rider is on the team. How could he not be?”

Read GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY by Donny Cates and Geoff Shaw, coming next year!

'Marvel Comics Presents' Set to Return for Marvel's 80th Anniversary

The classic comic series kicks off again in January!

In January 2019, kick off Marvel's massive 80th anniversary celebration with the return of MARVEL COMICS PRESENTS!

The classic anthology series makes a comeback with three new stories from a host of towering talent, including Charles Soule, Greg Pak, Ann Nocenti, Tomm Coker, and Paulo Siqueira!

Early next year, read three titanic tales celebrating the first decade of Marvel stories! First—an all-new tale of the man they call the Wolverine begins in the 1940s! Then comes Captain America, the first Avenger of World War II still fighting for freedom today! And finally, the untold tale of Namor and the atom bomb!

Prepare for the return of MARVEL COMICS PRESENTS, coming in January!

Funko Reveals Two Fan's Choice Marvel Studios 10 Pop! Vinyls at NYCC

At New York Comic Con, during their Funkast panel, Funko revealed the winner of their Fan’s Choice vote on what character should next get a Chrome version as part of the Marvel Studios 10 Chrome Funko Pop! line.

Originally, it was announced that there would only be one winner, but ultimately, two characters were so close in the amount of votes they got that it was decided both were worthy of getting the Chrome treatment. So congratulations to both Doctor Strange and Iron Spider and to all those who voted for them!  

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• This picture makes me think that Marvel is having Movie-Aquaman envy.

1936991667?profile=RESIZE_320x320

• So they are moving away again from thinking of Namor as a X-Men character.  I wonder what that will mean (or already meant?) for X-Men: Red.

For such an anti-social character, Namor is remarkably well connected, if unpredictable.  Fantastic Four, Avengers, Defenders, Illuminati,X-Men, even Iron Fist.  And he already comes with the background to allow for self-contained social environments, to boot.  He actually allows for an impressive variety of storytelling takes, although I personally think that he works best when "whiplash" from too frequent switching of directions is avoided.

• Wasn't Namor decapitated?

• Yeah, what happened to the head? Did two grow back in its place?

Nice analysis, Luis. Like a lot of "loner" characters in comics (Batman, Spider-Man), he certainly joins a lot of teams. Which is even weirder in his case, because he's so anti-social and erratic -- who'd want him on a team? The Hulk has a better temperament.

Someone -- John Byrne, probably -- wrote a story once that said his frequent amnesia and mood swings were due to some imbalance in his body chemistry when he was on land too much, or summat. I don't think that's been mentioned in a while. In "Time Runs Out," he was pretty much a villain. He wiped out half of Wakanda (and Black Panther returned the favor to Atlantis, which should have run out of people about three disasters ago.)

And on another topic entirely, has anyone here read Thanos, when it introduced the Cosmic Ghost Rider? (I think those issues are his only appearances to date.) As my LCS owner said, "That's not Frank Castle gone insane, that's just Deadpool." They really should have made him Wade Wilson -- it would make more sense, and he's more popular anyway.

• 1936992987?profile=originalA New Peter Parker Tale is Coming in Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man

Tom Taylor and Juann Cabal helm the new series!

Coming in January, meet the most local Peter Parker ever with FRIENDLY NEIGHBORHOOD SPIDER-MAN #1!

Written by Tom Taylor with art by Juann Cabal, the new series tells the tale of the power and responsibility that the wallcrawler bears as both a Super Hero and as the guy who lives next door!

And guess what? Spider-Man is the worst neighbor ever!

There’s always crazy villains and property damage and drama and he catches the villains and he tries to fix the damage and he helps carry your groceries and actually that property damage helps keep the rent down? You know what? Spider-Man is the best neighbor ever and this book will give you a closer look at Spider-Man’s neighborhood than any book ever before.

Also, it wouldn’t be a Spider-Man adventure without a threat that could destroy not only Spider-Man, but all his neighbors as well...
    Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man cover by Andrew Robinson

So, what's it like telling a Spider-Man story for the first time? "Honestly, it's amazing (pun intended...eventually...after I noticed it)," says Taylor. "[Spider-Man editor] Nick Lowe contacted me in a period where I was weighing up a lot of exciting writing offers, but as soon as I saw Spider-Man in the email, there was nothing else in my mind. Spidey was my first Marvel hero and a character I've always wanted an opportunity to write. As a fan, this is a bit of a dream come true. I was already writing X-Men and Star Wars comics for Marvel, and to add Spider-Man to that is, frankly, a little ridiculous."

The story focuses in on the human side of the hero known for his complex personal life. "With a lot of heroes, they're most heroic when they're in their suit and hide away their nature the rest of the time," explains the writer. "But Peter's humanity and kindness isn't ever hidden. He wants to do the right thing by everyone no matter whether he's on the ground or swinging through the sky. I've always loved when Peter Parker is at his most relatable. Sure, he's a guy who saves the world, but he's still struggling to pay his bills with his housemates. That's the heart of this series. We're going to tell some big stories here, and introduce an all-new hero, but it's all about the micro. This is Peter finding adventure in his apartment building, a few doors down."

Taylor and Cabal worked closely together on ALL-NEW WOLVERINE, and the duo will take their collective experience to the Marvel Universe's most visually idiosyncratic star, utilizing what Taylor has described as "comics alchemy." And Cabal agrees: "He nailed it when he described it that way. It’s wonderful to be working with him and [colorist] Nolan Woodard again. When you have confidence in someone and you know how he works, the process is much more fluid and organic and the final product is undoubtedly more satisfying for both creators and readers."

"When Nick asked who I'd like to work with on this, the first person I said was Juann Cabal," says Taylor. "Juann is one of those storytellers who thinks outside the box. He puts a million easter eggs in and does fascinating things with the storytelling, which then stretch and challenge me as a writer. If I know Juann is drawing, I know I can push things further as he'll be able to rise to anything I can think of. I might write five panels. He'll say, 'why not sixteen panels?' He has this way of changing pace and flow and focus which I think is going to work perfectly for a Spider-Man book too. I also have to say the second name I gave Nick Lowe was Nolan Woodard. Really glad he could join us on this. Great to have this band back together."

Read FRIENDLY NEIGHBORHOOD SPIDER-MAN when the new series begins in January!

• 1936991464?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

Comic Adaptation of the Hit Podcast 'Wolverine: The Long Night' Announced

Marvel's hit scripted podcast will get its own book written by Benjamin Percy!

During the This Week in Marvel panel at New York Comic Con 2018, it was announced that Marvel's hit scripted podcast "Wolverine: The Long Night" would make the jump from audio to comic books with the official comic adaptation! Benjamin Percy, the writer of the critically acclaimed podcast, will write the comic and team up with artist Marcio Takara to bring the story to the pages in January 2019.

WOLVERINE: THE LONG NIGHT #1 will feature a cover by Rafael Albuquerque and bring brand new visuals to the audio-only story.

Marvel's "Wolverine: The Long Night" podcast followed Special Agents Sally Pierce and Tad Marshal -- voiced by Celia Keenan-Bolger and Ato Essandoh -- as they investigated a string of mysterious deaths in Burns, Alaska. The voice cast also included Scott Adsit, Bob Balaban, Zoe Chao, Andrew Keenan-Bolger, and Brian Stokes Mitchell -- and Richard Armitage as Wolverine. The podcast is now available wherever you listen to podcasts!

WOLVERINE: THE LONG NIGHT #1, written by Benjamin Percy and penciled by Marcio Takara with a cover by Rafael Albuquerque, will go on sale in January 2019!

• Yes, it was John Byrne, in his 1990s Namor series.

Were I an Atlantean, I would insist on not even having diplomatic relations with wherever Namor lived.  Not necessarily due to disapproval, but out of simple self-preservation.  It feels like Atlantis suffers a major disaster caused by someone wanting to hurt Namor ever couple of years or so.

Captain Comics said:

Yeah, what happened to the head? Did two grow back in its place?

Nice analysis, Luis. Like a lot of "loner" characters in comics (Batman, Spider-Man), he certainly joins a lot of teams. Which is even weirder in his case, because he's so anti-social and erratic -- who'd want him on a team? The Hulk has a better temperament.

Someone -- John Byrne, probably -- wrote a story once that said his frequent amnesia and mood swings were due to some imbalance in his body chemistry when he was on land too much, or summat. I don't think that's been mentioned in a while. In "Time Runs Out," he was pretty much a villain. He wiped out half of Wakanda (and Black Panther returned the favor to Atlantis, which should have run out of people about three disasters ago.)

And on another topic entirely, has anyone here read Thanos, when it introduced the Cosmic Ghost Rider? (I think those issues are his only appearances to date.) As my LCS owner said, "That's not Frank Castle gone insane, that's just Deadpool." They really should have made him Wade Wilson -- it would make more sense, and he's more popular anyway.

• I think Namor's returned to find Atlantis abandoned more than once. It comes and goes like a skin rash.

• Did they establish that the beheaded Namor was from a different Earth or was that just a theory?

The Baron said:

Wasn't Namor decapitated?

• I only read the first six issues of Squadron Supreme, so I didn't know how he came back. But Wikipedia says that in Squadron Supreme #14, "due to a mishap with Mister Fantastic's magically-enhanced time machine, the time distortion phantoms of Doctor Spectrum and Hyperion are sent back in time where this incident resulted in Namor being revived."

I hope someone who actually read the thing can translate for me.

This reply was deleted.