NYCC 2018: Marvel leads announcements with new 'Invaders' series

Marvel Brings Back Their First Super Team 'The Invaders' In honor of Marvel's 80th anniversary, Chip Zdarsky will reunite Cap, Bucky, the Human Torch... and Namor!

PUBLISHED October 2, 2018 by Jamie Frevele

Lots of great Marvel news has been coming out of New York Comic Con 2018, including several announcements about upcoming books. As part of Marvel's 80th anniversary, one familiar name was dropped on Thursday with the news that MARVEL COMICS PRESENTS would be returning in January 2019: the Invaders!

Writer Chip Zdarsky will team up with penciler Carlos Magno to bring the new story of the Invaders to life in INVADERS #1 in January 2019! Artist Butch Guice will create the cover; Mico Suayan and Alex Ross will provide variant covers.

Marvel's first super team made its first appearance in AVENGERS #71 back in 1969. The WWII-era team consisted of Captain America, Bucky Barnes, the original Human Torch (plus his sidekick Toro), and Namor. The powerful foursome will reunite this winter -- with Bucky as the Winter Soldier and Namor as their enemy. INVADERS #1 will see Cap, Bucky, and Jim Hammond facing Namor down as the Sub-Mariner tries to unleash a new deadly threat.

INVADERS #1, written by Chip Zdarsky with art by Carlos Magno, will go on sale in January 2019!

Prepare for the return of MARVEL COMICS PRESENTS, coming in January! And stay tuned to Marvel.com for more exclusive New York Comic Con reveals.

Cosmic Ghost Rider Joins the Guardians of the Galaxy Donny Cates and Geoff Shaw assemble the new-look squad!

Guardians of the Galaxy

Last month, writer Donny Cates and artist Geoff Shaw revealed that their Guardians of the Galaxy would be made up of an all-new roster. And teasing the lineup, they asked #WhoAreTheGuardians? Today, we have our first answer...

The Cosmic Ghost Rider. Guardians of the Galaxy tease

A spacefaring Frank Castle, eons in the future, joins the new team next year when GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY begins anew in 2019.

The universe is on fire. Hundreds of worlds are at war. Never has there been such hatred and division across the cosmos. And in spite of all this, Thanos of Titan is still dead…or is he? Now, more than ever, the cosmos needs the Guardians of the Galaxy…but in the aftermath of the Infinity Wars, who is left to answer the call? Featuring every cosmic Super Hero in the known universe, a new adventure is set to begin.

“My first job at Marvel, with 'Thanos Wins', was inspired by the work of my hero, one of the greatest cosmic storytellers ever, Jim Starlin. So being able to tell that Thanos story was a dream come true,” says Cates. "And now that Thanos has died in the pages of INFINITY WARS, my best friend Geoff Shaw and I could not turn down the opportunity to tell a story set during the fallout of the Mad Titan’s death.”

“Geoff and I always lean towards stories that are a little bit loud," the writer explains, "and in space, the stakes and action can be bigger than anywhere else. This was our chance to do things we’ve always wanted to do. To tear #$%@ up.”

“And of course Cosmic Ghost Rider is on the team. How could he not be?”

Read GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY by Donny Cates and Geoff Shaw, coming next year!

'Marvel Comics Presents' Set to Return for Marvel's 80th Anniversary

The classic comic series kicks off again in January!

In January 2019, kick off Marvel's massive 80th anniversary celebration with the return of MARVEL COMICS PRESENTS!

The classic anthology series makes a comeback with three new stories from a host of towering talent, including Charles Soule, Greg Pak, Ann Nocenti, Tomm Coker, and Paulo Siqueira!

Early next year, read three titanic tales celebrating the first decade of Marvel stories! First—an all-new tale of the man they call the Wolverine begins in the 1940s! Then comes Captain America, the first Avenger of World War II still fighting for freedom today! And finally, the untold tale of Namor and the atom bomb!

Prepare for the return of MARVEL COMICS PRESENTS, coming in January!

Funko Reveals Two Fan's Choice Marvel Studios 10 Pop! Vinyls at NYCC

At New York Comic Con, during their Funkast panel, Funko revealed the winner of their Fan’s Choice vote on what character should next get a Chrome version as part of the Marvel Studios 10 Chrome Funko Pop! line.

Originally, it was announced that there would only be one winner, but ultimately, two characters were so close in the amount of votes they got that it was decided both were worthy of getting the Chrome treatment. So congratulations to both Doctor Strange and Iron Spider and to all those who voted for them!  

Views: 91

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Richard Mantle said:

A new Invaders title means I may have to ressurrect my Invaders read-along thread...?

Why, yes, I hope so!

A new Invaders series is something I am likely to buy.

I stuck around for all of Squadron Supreme, and I really wish I hadn’t. The questions about Namor’s severed head have already been answered, and answered more than adequately, by Richard.

“A new Invaders title means I may have to ressurrect my Invaders read-along thread...?”

Please do. I regret that I was too busy to participate in the first one, but I promise to if you bring it back for the new series.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2018   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service