I am going to attempt to connect certain events from the worlds of various comics, movies, TV shows and pop culture into a hopefully logical narrative much like my Gorilla City thread. Each entry may not connect with the previous one.

Of course, comments, additions and suppositions are always welcome!

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Intriguing...

• FROM THE JOURNAL OF DOCTOR HENRY PYM April 9th, 1967

When we announced that the Olympian hero, HERCULES was going to stay with the Avengers during his exile to Earth, I expected some doubt as to his claim of being "THE" Hercules from myth. What took me and the others by surprise was the reaction from one of our own members, though he wasn't active with the team at the time. Nonetheless, THOR returned and convened an emergency meeting involving the Prince of Power. He requested that only I (as GOLIATH), the WASP and CAPTAIN AMERICA attend. Another shock was when IRON MAN also arrived.

I am writing this down as proof of this admittedly bizarre intervention at Thor's insistence as he wanted the world to one day know what had transpired here.

I had never seen Thor so stern and so uncomfortable. He stood at the head of the conference table, holding a glowing parchment.

"Hercules, does thou know what this is?"

"It looks like another of those binding agreements but not from Olympus. So...Asgard?"

"Aye. It was sent by Odin to enforce the rule you have broken numerous times."

"And which rule is that? I've broken my fair share of them." He turned and gave us a grin.

"The most serious one, Bearded one!"

"What?? I have never taken a mortal life! What madness is this, Thunderer?"

"No the one about....procreating!"

"Wait, this is to stop Hercules from...having children? Is that any of our concern?"

"Nay, Iron Man, it is to stop him from having MORE children!"

"He has children. In Olympus, of course."

"I do not like where this is going! Odin is your sire, not mine. I do not have to heed his commands!"

"Perhaps not but surely thou knows this symbol near the All-Father's!"

"By Saturn's blood....it is Zeus! Mine own father doth conspire against me!"

"Everyone stay calm. We're all friends here!"

"Are we, Captain? I am assailed on!"

"Maybe we need a little more information. Thor, you say Hercules had children on Earth?"

"Has children, dear Wasp. From decades ago."

"But then who was his wife?"

"Wives, though it seldom came to that! Shall you tell them or I?"

"This is your trial, Norseman! Prattle on!"

• "By looking at the newspapers during the war, one cannot help but notice FOUR different men calling themselves Hercules. And all were thine prodigy."

"They were stout and true, though not the most imaginative."

"Then there were two different MARVEL BOYS, each claiming to have been visited by the Spirit of Hercules."

"Yes, Bucky met them with...with someone else. I can't remember but he was taken aback by their similar origins though it took months for them to meet."

"Aye, were they thy sons, grandsons or simply descendants?"

"It blurs after time. What does it matter?"

"You mean you don't know how many children you have?"

"Milady, I sire children, I do not count them!"

"There were other heroes from that time, all bearing your legacy, though they knew it not. Like POWER NELSON, SHOCK GIBSON and MISTER MUSCLES, all brave and bold but with no idea of their heritage."

"Aye I've had heroic sons. Is that so bad?"

"What about the Brawler of the Seven Seas who also sprang from you, though I know not how far back. I speak of BLUTO or as some call him BRUTUS."

"I know of his misdeeds and he can't take a punch but you must admire his persistence!"

"But it proves that some on thy family tree may be bad apples."

"I do not control them, Thunder God. Most know nothing of me."

"That's terrible!"

"Is it, Wasp? I know my faults. History has proven that I am not the best of fathers. They are better off not knowing. Besides, with all modesty, they would be unable to escape my shadow!"

"Mayhaps. But those are your sons. What of your daughters? I have learned of two "mountain women" of great strength, one who resides near the town of Dogpatch, the other encountered by the Amazon Princess herself."

"Do not speak to me of her! She and her people spread lies about me! LIES!"

"I must say all this is amazing and a bit scandalous but Hercules has been on Olympus for decades. So the problem's solved."

"Sadly, no, Goliath. Hercules has been to Earth in the last twenty years and I know now of three more offspring!"

• "So, Thor, thou dost want to continue thy circus?"

"Until thou signs this accord!"

"Nay, I have no more children on this orb though they may need my seed as they did in Greece in Olden Times!"

"Do not lie, Boastful One. I have seen them with mine own eyes. Dost thou think I am so naïve that I cannot detect thy aura on these three young men?"

"Oh, thou can do that? Are they well?"

"I visited the Soviet Union, guarding the Radioactive Man as they were going to return him to his native China. There I met a young man who called himself STARFIRE. He possesses great strength and speed though he chooses not to show it often. He gave me an origin involving the Great Meteor Crash of 1908 but many have been at that site without gaining powers though I do not doubt that you may have been there in 1908."

"That land will need heroes in its future as the Good Captain can attest to."

"Then in Los Angeles, I met another young man who calls himself MIGHTY SAMSON. Despite the name, he wore bracelets that radiated Olympian magic to transform himself. And his dog becomes a lion! Thou could not have made it easier if thou had given me a signed confession."

"The bracelets of Athena allows him to access his birthright as one of my earlier children needed a magic ring to access his!"

"Wait that was the cartoon! That was real? That happened?"

"More or less. Given the confusion caused by my previous sons, I whispered in his ear to take the name Samson. It seemed easier that way."

Finally, I travelled to the eccentric town of Good Haven where I met the neophyte hero STRONGMAN who was with his team, the Mighty Heroes."

"The Mighty Heroes? Those, well, uncoordinated guys?"

"They mean well and stand together united. Strongman has a purpose there and he must learn to overcome his clumsiness." 

"But wouldn't they all be better if you were there to help them."

"No, Captain, they are doing fine without me. Besides what would I say to them now?"

"Put your mind at ease, Lion of Olympus. Sign the accord."

"Why now, Thor?"

"Because thou art attracted to the Scarlet Witch. With her being a mutant, who knows what offspring you may have together?"

"That would be her decision to make, not thou. Not Odin! Not even Zeus!"

"She cannot know and thy seductive charms are legendary. She is no conquest. She is an Avenger. Pray, sign and be done with it. In thy heart, you know it is the right thing to do!"

"Very well, as I am a guest here, I will...behave. In truth, I came to that conclusion the last time I came to Earth eight years ago. I will have no child on Earth."

"Wait....EIGHT years ago??"

• Interesting stuff.  I know that at least one variation of the Popeye mythos has Bluto and Brutus as two different people.

• Didn't Venus turn out to be someone else? We could still hear that isn't really Hercules.

Sons of Hercules tells us Herc had 100.

• Philip Portelli said:

"The bracelets of Athena allows him to access his birthright as one of my earlier children needed a magic ring to access his!"

"Thing Ring, do your thing!!!" {please oh please oh please}

• He was also called "Sonny Boy" but it's entirely possible that all three are either brothers or cousins and Popeye never knew the difference or cared to!

The Baron said:

Interesting stuff.  I know that at least one variation of the Popeye mythos has Bluto and Brutus as two different people.

• I'm going with the assumption that Marvel-Hercules is the real Hercules. The cartoon and movie versions are all his sons who went by his name as part of the Herculi.

Ronald Morgan said:

Didn't Venus turn out to be someone else? We could still hear that isn't really Hercules.

Sons of Hercules tells us Herc had 100.

• Sorry but I meant the cartoon Hercules with the memorable theme song! In my theory, Hercules was a producer/consultant on the series as he was with the Italian films!

But Benjy Grimm, a second cousin of the Thing, suffered from a rare disease which was cured by Reed Richards using the combined cosmic radiation from Ben, Senior and the energy from the Molecule Man stored in two special rings which give Benjy the ability to become a slightly less powerful version of the Thing. But it wouldn't have worked if a Shmoo hadn't entered the energy matrix!

Doctor Hmmm? said:

Philip Portelli said:

"Thing Ring, do your thing!!!" {please oh please oh please}

This reply was deleted.