New Avengers Titles and other silver age mis-steps...

Recently, we've seen an explosion in the Avengers family of titles...

If memory serves, we have at least:

The Mighty Avengers

The dark Avengers

Avengers Academy

New Avengers

Secret Avengers

Solo Avengers

and many of these titles have already reached issue 19 or higher...

As I recall, the original Avengers title saw a change in their line-up as early as issue #4, and a grand shake-up with #16. http://www.comics.org/issue/19164/cover/4/

Does it seem unusual to you that we  might get to issue #20 without a significant alteration in the format or reason de eter (reason for being) that underlies these books?    Just asking if anyone else notices this.

Views: 1686

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I talk about the THIRD Green Goblin and different versions of the Spider-Foes here. As for the "King Kong" homage AKA Gog in the Savage Land, it was a rare occurence of Gwen being directly involved in an adventure, playing Fay Wray. Also it was probably the most overtly sexy Gwen we've seen at that point!

P.S. Kirk, you should think about renaming this thread but to what, I have no idea! ;-)

In DAREDEVIL, Mr. Kline created fake versions of The Scorpion and Mr. Hyde.  In CAP, he & Falcon met a fake Stranger (from a different dimension? I forget the details).  In ASM, you had a fake Vulture threatening MJ, and until the end of the story, he was believed to be the original.  Not long after saw Harry become the 2nd Green Goblin, followed by Mysterio when it was revelaed that the real Mysterio had died in prison. And then came the clone of Gwen Stacy, followed by the clone of Spider-Man...  Maybe this was a way of creating "new" characters without actually having to be creative...?

Ah, I see what you mean about "duplicate villians" now.   Was it ever explained  just how Mr. Klein was recreating these villians?  Scorpion, Mr. Hyde etc?

And, can anyone recount the wandering tale of Mr. Klein for us, stem to stern, beginning to end?  I just don't recall enough of the detils, but I'm wondering if it made any more sense than i recall, and/or if they story evolved any while wandering from title to title. (For the life of me at the time, I couldn't figure out what the connection was between the title's that he would show up in.... now, someone has let it slip that they were all three of the titles that someone was writing at the time... so he did it, because he could!)

Here's a link to a web page that puts a lot more research into Mr. Kline than I would ever attempt.

Hoy

Thanks, Hoy.  That does it for me.  I now know everything that anyone might want to know about Mr. Klein.  It does seem that his name, MK-9, references the name Klein... (Mr. Kle-Nine...get it?)

I just want to add that the best Avengers title out there right now has got to be the Avengers Academy continuing series.

This series never ceases to engage me.  Complex characters, an ensemble cast, hidden agendas, secrets, and thoughtful plots with both contained in one issue adventures, and an on-going storyline.  This book has it all!

I must say I was hooked from the first issue, with the kids discovering that they were all potential supervillians and that the teachers were keeping secrets from them. And the move for Finese to blackmail Pietro into teaching her Magneto's tricks... well, it established a serious tone right from the start. 

The most recent issue somewhat brings that issue full circle, as she gets her crack at the big M himself...and finds that maybe that's not quite the goal that she wanted.

I am reminded of the original school for gifted mutants in the first class of X-men to some extent, but it's far more than just a school book... in that I never know what's going to happen next.  Each issue keeps me guessing.  And with frequent guestars from the Avengers' roster...  well, it's hard to get any better than this.

Seriously, if you aren't reading this series, you'll want to snag the last two years worth of books.  They really engage on a new level for you... and that's something that I haven't really seen since the Silver Age run of Fantastic Four at its height!

I'm a latecomer to Avengers Academy but I agree with you, Kirk.  Avengers Academy is one of the titles I enjoy the most month after month. 

The Silver Age was a lot more innocent, and despite already having a couple of decades of experience behind it at this point, the comic book industry was still finding its way to some respect.

Then again, Marvel's distributions arrangement of the 1960s kept them from having too many titles to begin with.

Marvel has tried doing multiple Avengers titles before with varying degrees of success, and look at what the "core" group has been through since the post-Image experiment. Just how many times have they restarted within the last decade?

Yet just because all this product is available doesn't necessarily mean its good. Readers opinions vary and for me, I'm just reading the Fantastic Four/FF at least as long as Hickman remains as writer. I personally think Marvel has seriously gone down hill with events like "Civil War", "One More/Brand New Day", etc.

But if you're happy, enjoy.

The only Conway issue of DD I've read was #94, with the fake Mr. Fear, but I noticed the pattern in Spider-Man with the fake Vulture and Mysterio.  Ya think Gerry had some aversion to using the original characters, none of whom had been actually killed off in any previous issues?  Of course, Lee & Romita came up with the first "fake" Vulture, and later did a great story in which the original Vulture pops up to whop the tar out of the doppelganger just to prove that he could do it! 

Henry R. Kujawa said:

In DAREDEVIL, Mr. Kline created fake versions of The Scorpion and Mr. Hyde.  In CAP, he & Falcon met a fake Stranger (from a different dimension? I forget the details).  In ASM, you had a fake Vulture threatening MJ, and until the end of the story, he was believed to be the original.  Not long after saw Harry become the 2nd Green Goblin, followed by Mysterio when it was revelaed that the real Mysterio had died in prison. And then came the clone of Gwen Stacy, followed by the clone of Spider-Man...  Maybe this was a way of creating "new" characters without actually having to be creative...?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service