THE DOCTOR IS IN… THE “BLACK HAMMER” UNIVERSE

New “Black Hammer” Spinoff Miniseries from Creator Jeff Lemire and Artist Max Fiumara

MILWAUKIE, Ore., (December 07, 2017)—Following the success of Jeff Lemire and Dean Ormston’s Eisner Award-winning series Black Hammer and its spinoff series Sherlock Frankenstein & The Legion of Evil, Dark Horse is excited to announce the next installment in the Black Hammer universe, Doctor Star & The Kingdom of Lost Tomorrows. Abe Sapien artist Max Fiumara joins Jeff Lemire in the new four-issue miniseries. Award-winning colorist Dave Stewart (Hellboy) and talented letterer Nate Piekos (Umbrella Academy: Apocalypse Suite) round out this super creative team. Doctor Star & The Kingdom of Lost Tomorrows will feature variant covers by Declan Shalvey and Jordie Bellaire, J.G. Jones, Dustin Nguyen, and Annie Wu.

Doctor Star & The Kingdom of Lost Tomorrows is a dual-narrative story that chronicles the legacy of the Golden-Age superhero Doctor Star. An aged crime fighter desperately wants to reconnect with his estranged son, who he hoped would one day take the mantle of Doctor Star. Over the course of the story we learn his World War II-era origin, how he got his powers, his exciting astral adventures, the formation of some of Black Hammer’s greatest heroes, and more in this heartbreaking superhero tale about fathers and sons.

“Dean and I were thrilled to see the fan response to Sherlock Frankenstein & The Legion of Evil,” New York Times bestselling writer Jeff Lemire explained. “We’re very excited to continue to expand the Black Hammer universe with Doctor Star with Max Fiumara as the artist. This new series examines a difficult relationship between a father and son, which I think many people will relate to.”

The first issue (of four) of Doctor Star & The Kingdom of Lost Tomorrows goes on sale March 07, 2018 and will be available for preorder at your local comic shop on December 20, 2017.

Praise for Black Hammer and Sherlock Frankenstein & The Legion of Evil:

“Every so often, you read a comic that grabs hold of you and won't let go. Its world is fascinating, its characters are captivating and its art is mesmerizing.”—IGN

“Masterfully plays with all the many tropes and genres of superhero fiction over the past few decades.”—Entertainment Weekly

“With Sherlock Frankenstein & The Legion of Evil, the world of Black Hammer gets richer, deeper, and a hell of a lot more fun.”—Nerdist

“A real treat for Black Hammer fans, one that builds a fully realized world in a way that the main series has merely hinted at.”—Multiversity Comics

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I've really enjoyed the Black Hammer books, and that's despite the many, many retcon, retro, pseudo-Justice Leagues that populate the stands. Only the Jupiter's Children series has the same impact on me.

• I tried Jupiter's Legacy  and Children, and it just didn't do anything for me. I've enjoyed Black Hammer a ton though. The characters are a heck of a lot more sympathetic than just about anything Mark Millar has given us.

I just worry that these spin-offs are keeping us from seeing the main storyline advance, OR these spin-offs are advancing the main storyline, and we just aren't seeing how, yet. 

Either way, though, I'm on board for this series. As this looks to be an obvious nod to Starman from the 90s which is an all-timer for me.

• I  enjoyed the first Black Hammer collection. Looks like I have some catching up to do.

• Pretty soon, Jeff Lemire is only going to be writing Black Hammer-universe books. I'd be totally okay with that.

• Me too, as Royal City just isn't doing it for me. 

Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man said:

Pretty soon, Jeff Lemire is only going to be writing Black Hammer-universe books. I'd be totally okay with that.

• Same. It's so depressing. I thought Essex County was a masterpiece when I first read it about ten years ago, but now having reread it, it was still good, but man, I'm depressed enough by the state of the world right now. I want to read stuff that's going to help and motivate and make me laugh. (Or at least get me pumped!)

Travis Herrick (Modular Mod) said:

Me too, as Royal City just isn't doing it for me. 

Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man said:

Pretty soon, Jeff Lemire is only going to be writing Black Hammer-universe books. I'd be totally okay with that.

This reply was deleted.