Was looking through the On The Chopping Block thread and a question popped into my mind that I'd figure I would throw out to everyone:

As new companies pop up and new books are created by these companies, how likely are you to try one of their books? With comic budgets fairly normal here (from what I've read), we all have our favorites from Marvel, DC, Dark Horse, Image, that we will always read. I will always read Spider-Man from Marvel, although I did stop shortly after they resurrected Norman Osborn. I do, however, always look for concepts that might interest me and try the books.

How likely are you? And what do you look for in a book that might nudge you to try it?

Looking forward to hearing some of your answers!

Views: 136

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

JeffCarter said:

Speaking of strange comics store managers, when I went to grad school at Indiana U, there was a comic shop that was underground downtown, and the guy behind the counter looked exactly like Alan Moore. And he acted very similarly to the way I would expect Alan Moore to behave.

Did he accuse you of stealing his stuff?

I can't remember what it was called. I just remember going down those steep, steep stairs. It may have been called that. Do you remember the Alan Moore-esque guy?

Doc Beechler (mod-MD) said:

Wasn't it called The 25th Century Five and Dime or something like that?

Heh. No. But he always had that look that Alan Moore has in his press photos. And his hair was unkempt. He never smiled or said hello.

I always gave him my warmest greetings when I would descend into his store, and admittedly he would respond when I did greeted him.

I remember that was the store where I went wild in his quarter bin and bought up tons of Nexus, Micronauts, and Nam issues.

Figserello said:

Did he accuse you of stealing his stuff?

Having met Mr Moore briefly, I have to say that in the flesh he is nothing like the evil Satanist that he appears in photos/film of him.

He went out of his way to make everyone feel welcome and individually appreciated at a signing of his I attended.  He just seemed very down-to-Earth, and without any pretensions.  I suppose he knew without being big-headed about it, that most of us were pretty overwhelmed to finally meet him and shake his hand, so he was trying sincerely to make us feel like we were meeting just another guy!

Given what I know now about his feelings towards the book, he didn't show any reluctance to sign it when I put Watchmen in front of him.

He's from a very unpretensious working-class Midlands family and he stills lives in the heart of the community he grew up in, so I'm sure that amongst them he wouldn't get away with being as weird and self-regarding as his public persona appears.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No fistfights. No flame wars. No trolls. The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Latest Activity

Mark S. Ogilvie replied to Captain Comics's discussion Comics Guide for April 23, 2104
"Batman/Superman number 9, that explains why the storyline of the first contact had a big whole in…"
10 minutes ago
Emerkeith Davyjack replied to The Baron's discussion Mark Trail - The AWESOMEST Comic Strip Ever
".As I don't think I have ever , really , followed MT ~ I don't real it being carried…"
13 minutes ago
The Baron replied to Captain Comics's discussion Comics Guide for April 23, 2104
""2104"? Guess you're really ahead of schedule, Skipper!  ;)"
1 hour ago
The Baron replied to The Baron's discussion Mark Trail - The AWESOMEST Comic Strip Ever
"Sure. But the idea of strangling trees still wierd me out, for some reason."
2 hours ago
Richard Mantle replied to Mark Sullivan (Vertiginous Mod)'s discussion Justice League Dark Vol. 3: The Death of Magic
"I'm glad this team is getting to mix with 'mainstream' DC like with the…"
2 hours ago
Emerkeith Davyjack replied to Emerkeith Davyjack's discussion "The Twilight Zone" ( original ) reseen
"...Thank you . I think I've heard of that rolling waiting room , though mebbe not specific to…"
3 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Emerkeith Davyjack's discussion "The Twilight Zone" ( original ) reseen
"Emerkeith Davyjack said: ...What is the Dulles one ??? This is one of the Washington DC airports.…"
6 hours ago
Emerkeith Davyjack replied to The Baron's discussion Mark Trail - The AWESOMEST Comic Strip Ever
".Why ? It's " the ci-irr-cle of liiffe " - isn't it ?"
6 hours ago
Emerkeith Davyjack replied to Emerkeith Davyjack's discussion "The Twilight Zone" ( original ) reseen
"...What is the Dulles one ???  I used to fly a fair bit as a kid , but only no rather…"
6 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Emerkeith Davyjack's discussion "The Twilight Zone" ( original ) reseen
"Emerkeith Davyjack said: .....taking place in an airport , where people were to walk on the tarmac…"
7 hours ago
John Dunbar (the mod of maple) replied to John Dunbar (the mod of maple)'s discussion She-Hulk (2014) thread - SPOILERS
"It was not spelled out directly in the story, but it was implied that Harrow had not used the…"
7 hours ago
Captain Comics replied to Captain Comics's discussion Comics Guide for April 23, 2104
"GRIMM FAIRY TALES: HELSING #1 Publisher: ZENESCOPE ENTERTAINMENT INC Writer: PATRICK…"
8 hours ago
Captain Comics replied to Captain Comics's discussion Comics Guide for April 23, 2104
"OTHER PUBLISHERS ALL NEW SOULFIRE #4 Publisher: ASPEN MLT INC Writers: J. T. KRUL Art/Covers:…"
8 hours ago
"VALIANT COMICS ETERNAL WARRIOR #8 Writer: GREG PAK Art: ROBERT GILL Cover: LEWIS LAROSA $3.99/T+/32…"
8 hours ago
Philip Portelli replied to Alan M.'s discussion On the Chopping Block
"I dropped Avengers A.I. despite having the Vision and Henry Pym (two of my favorite Avengers). The…"
8 hours ago
Emerkeith Davyjack replied to John Dunbar (the mod of maple)'s discussion She-Hulk (2014) thread - SPOILERS
"...Thank you . Putting the " real ":-) world into this , considering how frequently…"
9 hours ago

© 2014   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service