Did you just pick up a new title at the comic shop and want to let people know about it? Here's a thread to tout your new faves.

I picked up two new #1s this week. 

The first, Fairlady, was a book I'd been looking forward to for a while. Written by Brian Schirmer, with art by Claaudia Balboni and Marissa Louise, each issue is a done-in-one mystery set in a fantasy world. The creative team pitches it as "Magnum PI, set after the War of the Rings." It's an accomplished first issue, with Jenner Faulds being  a "Fairlady" -- a private investigator in this postwar fantasy world. I'm looking forward to more. Published by Image. You can read a preview of the first issue here.

The second book, Orphan Age, was one I'd never heard of before it caught my eye in the comics shop. Published by Aftershock, it's written by Ted Anderson, with appealing art from Nuno Plati. It's set 20 years after a mysterious event instantly killed all of the adults on the planet -- the result is a world that the kids made up for themselves out of what remained of the old world. I expected this to be like "Y the Last Man, but with kids," but the 20-year time jump makes it more like The Walking Dead without zombies. Small communities, new customs coming from the old ways, and some communities are more aggressive than others. I'm really looking forward to seeing where this goes. There are some preview pages here.

Anyone else read these? What did you think? And what indy debuts have you picked up that might be flying under our radar?

Views: 933

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is something I've been thinking about recently, Rob. I've found myself less interested in new series from Image especially. It seems that they put out lots of great, interesting, or hopeful first issues. But how many of them go anywhere? Most go to a trade at most.

One of the reasons I like finding new titles from smaller companies like Black Mask, Scout Comics, Vault Comics, and even Dynamite, is that most of their comics are four-to-six issue length stories/series. I know I will get an ending. Plus, you get to see some awesome talent that is pretty unfettered.

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

Well, the two books that inspired this thread -- Fairlady and Orphan Age, have been cancelled. I was on the verge of dropping Orphan Age... it never quite lived up to the promise of the first issue (though things were looking up with the last, I thought)... but I'm really going to miss Fairlady. 

By the way, Steeple 2 arrived in shops either this week or last (I was on vacation for a week, so I picked up both weeks together), and I liked it even better than issue 1. The Scottish setting seems a bit stronger this issue than in the first issue, and I'm really enjoying Billie the vicar's relationship with both her pastor, her satanic-priest buddy, and the people of the town in general. I think this one runs 5 issues, and it's a keeper. 

Basketful of Heads issue 1 arrived...and there's only a hint of the basket so far, told in a flash-forward, and only a fleeting glimpse of the enchanted axe that will play a prominent part. And yet...I LOVED this book. Really solid storytelling by Joe Hill and Leomacs (who's new to me, though he's been working in European comics for a while). Leomacs in particular gives a standout performance, drawing regular people doing regular things, in a clear, inviting way -- there's a bit of Jordi Bernet in his line, and a bit of Fernardo Francavilla, except sunnier. I'm crazy about the look of this book -- it's nothing like what I'd expected.

The story is all setup so far, and all compelling. It's set in 1983 on an island vacation community at the end of summer, where there's been a prison transport escape. No one's too worried; the crooks making a run for it aren't anything  special, just average outlaw jamokes. And yet something bad is coming... you can feel it in the air. The book has a feeling to it like the beginning of Jaws. It feels super real to me, and I want to read more, now. 

There's a backup, too -- Sea Dogs, a four-page installment in a serial that will appear in every Hill House book. Basically it's how the Continental Navy used werewolves in the Revolutionary War. So yeah, I'm in.

Also, there's a new Hellblazer title out there. It starts with Sandman Presents: Hellblazer, an annual-size book out this week, which will lead into Books of Magic 14 in November. After that (actually that same week) it starts its ongoing title with issue 1, apparently unburdened by the John Constantine appearing in the superhero books. Writer Si Spurier talks a bit about what that's about on the Horror DNA website. 

At any rate, I liked the book quite a bit. It felt more bombastic than most Hellblazer stories, but I think that's just the launching point. And John himself certainly seems like his old bastard self.

Basketful of Heads!! Oh my gosh, what an impressive debut! I also love the art—I saw more of a mix between Dave Lapham and Mort Drucker, but I definitely see where you’re coming from. I just loved it. I see what you’re talking about with Jaws. I already care about these characters.

I'm looking forward to both of these when they get collected. Also curious to see where the Sandman Universe books go in the second collections.

Glad you liked it, Sensei! And yeah, I can see those comparisons, too!

Rob, your review and Cap's on another thread have convinced me to get Basketful of Heads. I'll be tradewaiting.

Ahoy's latest comic, Dragonfly and Dragonflyman came out this week.  By Tom Peyer and Peter Krause, it's a prequel to The Wrong Earth, and really looks at the two different Dragonfly heroes through the eyes of their sidekicks, the Stingers. As usual, I'm more of a fan of the Dragonflyman segments -- he fights a boxing kangaroo! -- than the grimmer Dragonfly version. 

I'll have to check with my LCS to get the first issue and future issues. It snuck up on me.

I've got nothing but praise for Far Sector -- a new Green Lantern series out in a distant space sector. It's both a murder mystery and a political thriller, as 3 distinct alien races share a city called Platform Ever Forward, when the first murder in 500 years occurs and a newbie GL, earthwoman Jo Mullein, is called in to investigate. Written by Hugo Award winner N.K. Jemisin, with art by Naomi's Jamal Campbell, this book is a tour de force. This first issue is so confident and beautiful, I think we're in for a Green Lantern tale people will be talking about for years to come. 

This gets my highest recommendation. Go read it.

YES. YES. YES.

This book does the same thing that The Mandelorian did this week, also. It adds to the mythos. It doesn't retread anything. It doesn't negate anything. It doesn't alter anything. It only adds. I will add more to this later, but I am so happy with this week.

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

I've got nothing but praise for Far Sector -- a new Green Lantern series out in a distant space sector. It's both a murder mystery and a political thriller, as 3 distinct alien races share a city called Platform Ever Forward, when the first murder in 500 years occurs and a newbie GL, earthwoman Jo Mullein, is called in to investigate. Written by Hugo Award winner N.K. Jemisin, with art by Naomi's Jamal Campbell, this book is a tour de force. This first issue is so confident and beautiful, I think we're in for a Green Lantern tale people will be talking about for years to come. 

This gets my highest recommendation. Go read it.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service