Did you just pick up a new title at the comic shop and want to let people know about it? Here's a thread to tout your new faves.

I picked up two new #1s this week. 

The first, Fairlady, was a book I'd been looking forward to for a while. Written by Brian Schirmer, with art by Claaudia Balboni and Marissa Louise, each issue is a done-in-one mystery set in a fantasy world. The creative team pitches it as "Magnum PI, set after the War of the Rings." It's an accomplished first issue, with Jenner Faulds being  a "Fairlady" -- a private investigator in this postwar fantasy world. I'm looking forward to more. Published by Image. You can read a preview of the first issue here.

The second book, Orphan Age, was one I'd never heard of before it caught my eye in the comics shop. Published by Aftershock, it's written by Ted Anderson, with appealing art from Nuno Plati. It's set 20 years after a mysterious event instantly killed all of the adults on the planet -- the result is a world that the kids made up for themselves out of what remained of the old world. I expected this to be like "Y the Last Man, but with kids," but the 20-year time jump makes it more like The Walking Dead without zombies. Small communities, new customs coming from the old ways, and some communities are more aggressive than others. I'm really looking forward to seeing where this goes. There are some preview pages here.

Anyone else read these? What did you think? And what indy debuts have you picked up that might be flying under our radar?

Views: 1149

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A No-Prize for you!

I read Assassin Nation #1 last night, and it was really good and funny. I'm a big fan of Kyle Starks books. His best-known book is Rock Candy Mountain, but I didn't like that one quite as much as Kill Them All or Sexcastle. The top 20 assassins in the world are brought together by a rich man with a price on his head. Wacky violence ensues, of course. By the end of the issue, only a fraction of them remain.

The second issue came out last week, which I have waiting to be read.

Erica Henderson has been drawing comics for awhile, but I do believe this is the first one she has drawn that has appealed to me (not because of her art). She's good here. If this has been drawn by someone too cartoony, it would have lost the edge this story calls for. It's just right.

"The 1974 date threw me at first because I hadn't finished the issue yet. In our reality all U.S. troops were withdrawn from Vietnam in 1973 except for embassy staff and a relatively small number of advisers working with the South Vietnamese military. Issue #2 establishes many changes beyond our timeline, including the war continuing for the U.S. beyond Nixon's 1974 resignation."

I meant to point out last week that Spider-Man: Life Story is a bit like Watchmen in that respect.

Assassin Nation #2 was as good as the first. I recommend this book highly to anyone who likes some of their comics in the non-superhero genre. Sorry, folks, it's not a Silver Age comic book.

Another non-Silver Age comic that I read today:

Little Bird #1-2: This is also from Image, and it is a crazy mix of religion, violence, and fantasy-ish settings. The art here is absolutely gorgeous. I don't know how else to describe this book, but I would recommend this to anyone who likes things a little different. This involves a young warrior, her mother, a grizzled mountain of a man, but it's so much more than that.

Two “new number ones” shipped this week: Dick Tracy Forever and Star Trek: Year Five. I just posted a comment about the former to “What Comics Have You Read Today?” and I’ll have something to say about the latter next week.

Punk Mambo #1 also came out this week, published by Valiant -- written by Cullen Bunn, with art by Adam Gorham and Jose Villarrubia. I was hoping it would be a good New Orleans/voodoo flavored way to scratch my Hellblazer itch, but it didn’t have that mysterious, lived-in feeling that the best Hellblazer books have. It felt like it was all surface trappings and no heart underneath, using voodoo stylings to tell a more straightforward adventure story. So I’m out after one, and am kind of regretting buying the sketch cover in favor of the gorgeous Dan Brereton one.

Also -- stretching the point of this thread -- The Terrifics #15 came out, the first one written by Gene Yang, and I’m already liking the book better than I ever did when Jeff Lemire was writing it. It just feels crisper, and more fun. I think I just need to face the facts that I’m just not a Lemire guy. But if you like the concept of this book, but it fell short for you before, you might want to give it another chance.

Ships this week:

"Five Years weaves the many strands of the "Terryverse" into one epic saga, years in the making! A dangerous paper written by Lilith has been leaked to the nations of the world containing a formula for the ultimate weapon, and now labs around the globe are attempting to build and test the Phi Bomb. Tambi, in an all-out effort to find the labs and stop them, has enlisted the help of Ivy Raven, Julie Martin, Rachel and Zoe. Meanwhile, Katchoo and Francine have moved their household - including the kid's new bodyguard, Samantha Locklear - to the beach where Katchoo devises her own solution to the problem..."

Thanks, Jeff! I'm way out of touch with the Terryverse at this point (I fell off of Strangers before the end of its run, even though I'd enjoyed it for a long time), but I'd like to reconnect with it at some point. Rachel Rising sounded interesting. 

For you I would recommend the Strangers in Paradise XXV Omnibus (which can be read in a single sitting( as a good jumping on poimnt. (It says "omnibus" but it's 10 issues, I think.) Here is what I posted about it on April 16 if you missed it:

STRANGERS IN PARADISE XXV OMNIBUS: I read this in a single sitting over the weekend and, man, did I miss a lot reading it initially in periodic monthly installments! This is so my favorite “independent” title. I like it more than Paper Girls, more than Stray Bullets. When I said (regarding the last issue) that I hoped that wasn’t the end, I didn’t know about Terry Moore’s follow-up series, Five Years: “One story. One world. Five years. That’s all we’ve got. Unless they can stop it.” Strangers in Paradise is basically reality-based; Echo is science fiction; Rachel Rising is fantasy; and Motor Girl is what it is. Moore brings these four diverse series together in XXV and creates the “Terryverse”; Five Years continues it.

By the end of XXV, the government has gotten ahold of a formula which could destroy all life. We’ve got five years, tops. If you’ve never read Strangers in Paradise before (or if you have, but haven’t read the other series), XXV really is a good jumping on point. You won’t be able to appreciate fully how well it fits together, but you’ll be able to appreciate it enough. It’s a fairly quick ready, but fascinating, gripping. It will draw you in and won’t let go.

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

Punk Mambo #1 also came out this week, published by Valiant -- written by Cullen Bunn, with art by Adam Gorham and Jose Villarrubia. I was hoping it would be a good New Orleans/voodoo flavored way to scratch my Hellblazer itch, but it didn’t have that mysterious, lived-in feeling that the best Hellblazer books have. It felt like it was all surface trappings and no heart underneath, using voodoo stylings to tell a more straightforward adventure story. So I’m out after one, and am kind of regretting buying the sketch cover in favor of the gorgeous Dan Brereton one.

I picked up Punk Mambo but haven’t read it yet. I have been reading a few other new titles from Valiant though:

• Incursion: This is basically a continuation of the Book of Death storyline that was centered around the Eternal Warrior and his mission to protect the Geomancers. Pretty solid so far.

• Forgotten Queen: The lead character is sort of a female version of the Eternal Warrior except that she appears to skirt the line between hero and villain. Very well written with some nice art.

• The Life and Death of Toyo Harada: A sequel, of sorts, to the unjustly canceled Imperium comic. Imperium was my favorite Valiant series, so I’m enjoying this one quite a bit.

Tomorrow also sees the debut of AHOY's Hashtag: Danger #1, the satirical Challengers of the Unknown-style series that appeared as back-ups in High Heaven and Captain Ginger. 

Stretching indeed, but no search on the site brought to me anything better to talk about #15. I liked it pretty well. I am wondering where Element Dog and Offspring went, because I thought they were nice touches to the the "family" feel of this title. I liked the art pretty well, and the writing was really nice. I'm a fan of Gene Luen Yang, but I feel like he still hasn't made a big statement in the DCU yet, save his underrated New Super-Man, which I am waiting to be pulled out of obscurity one day and tapped for its rich potential.

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

Also -- stretching the point of this thread -- The Terrifics #15 came out, the first one written by Gene Yang, and I’m already liking the book better than I ever did when Jeff Lemire was writing it. It just feels crisper, and more fun. I think I just need to face the facts that I’m just not a Lemire guy. But if you like the concept of this book, but it fell short for you before, you might want to give it another chance.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service