Did you just pick up a new title at the comic shop and want to let people know about it? Here's a thread to tout your new faves.

I picked up two new #1s this week. 

The first, Fairlady, was a book I'd been looking forward to for a while. Written by Brian Schirmer, with art by Claaudia Balboni and Marissa Louise, each issue is a done-in-one mystery set in a fantasy world. The creative team pitches it as "Magnum PI, set after the War of the Rings." It's an accomplished first issue, with Jenner Faulds being  a "Fairlady" -- a private investigator in this postwar fantasy world. I'm looking forward to more. Published by Image. You can read a preview of the first issue here.

The second book, Orphan Age, was one I'd never heard of before it caught my eye in the comics shop. Published by Aftershock, it's written by Ted Anderson, with appealing art from Nuno Plati. It's set 20 years after a mysterious event instantly killed all of the adults on the planet -- the result is a world that the kids made up for themselves out of what remained of the old world. I expected this to be like "Y the Last Man, but with kids," but the 20-year time jump makes it more like The Walking Dead without zombies. Small communities, new customs coming from the old ways, and some communities are more aggressive than others. I'm really looking forward to seeing where this goes. There are some preview pages here.

Anyone else read these? What did you think? And what indy debuts have you picked up that might be flying under our radar?

Views: 728

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've been on the fence about Flash Forward: One of my all-time favorite characters written by a writer who's not a favorite of mine (though I've certainly enjoyed some of his books) and pretty much my least-favorite artist in the business. With covers by one of my favorite artists. I...just...don't...know...!

I'll probably wait until I read some reviews, and then maybe buy it on Comixology. I've got too much paper in this house anyhow.

As for Archie 1955, that's DEFINITELY being bought on Comixology. I loved the previous, wartime series by Waid, Augustyn, and Peter Krause -- it's a melancholy gem -- and I'm sure to love this too.

Rob, I read the first couple of issues of Ignited, and I thought it was pretty good. Some interesting characters, with different powers. I have the fourth issue, but somehow my LCS didn't get the third one for me, so I will have to get it somewhere...

I didn't see ANY of the issues at my LCS -- it wasn't until I was at Midtown Comics in NYC that I was able to pick up the first three, as well as Omni 1. And then, miraculously, I saw my local shop had an single copy of 4, so I jumped on it. 

I'm going to pass on Flash Forward.  Big Flash fan, loved the Post-Crisis Wally West series, but I haven't liked anything I've ever read by Lobdell.  If Shaner was doing interiors and not covers, that might sway me.  Booth is pretty meh to me.  If I hear good buzz then maybe I'll also check it out on Comixology.

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

I've been on the fence about Flash Forward: One of my all-time favorite characters written by a writer who's not a favorite of mine (though I've certainly enjoyed some of his books) and pretty much my least-favorite artist in the business. With covers by one of my favorite artists. I...just...don't...know...!

I'll probably wait until I read some reviews, and then maybe buy it on Comixology. I've got too much paper in this house anyhow.

As for Archie 1955, that's DEFINITELY being bought on Comixology. I loved the previous, wartime series by Waid, Augustyn, and Peter Krause -- it's a melancholy gem -- and I'm sure to love this too.

“I'll probably wait until I read some reviews…”

“If I hear good buzz then maybe I'll also check it out…”

I’ll be buying the first issue of Flash Forward at least, and I’ll be sure to post something about it here (probaby on “What Comics Have You Read Today?”). This is one I’ll be buying for the character specifically, not the creative team.

Thanks, Jeff!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service