The  New 52 is suddenly seven lighter. Along with the previously announced I, Vampire, the following titles have been announced as cancelled:

From Wave 1

Firestorm

Deathstroke

Savage Hawkman

I, Vampire (previously announced)

From Wave 2

Ravagers

From Wave 3

Sword of Sorcery 

Team 7

Who knows what books will follow them? I'd love to see Steel join the Superman books (of course, I've been saying that since day 1), and, or course, Secret Six again.

Also, there are some creative changes in the works, as detailed at CBR.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Of the new 52 I'm only reading Batman and Green Lantern. I made a big drop because I was getting so many books and letting them pile up. I chopped it down to what I truly liked. There's still some good stuff in the new 52 I'm just not reading it. I plan to eventually catch up on some stuff.

I'd like to see a Deadman series. I know he's in Justice League Dark but I wasn't "feeling" that one at the start. I really enjoyed his story in DC Universe Presents opening arc though. He's a character I've grown to like since Brightest Day. Before that,  I liked his appearance a lot in Kingdom Come.

I was hoping to like Green Arrow but it didn't click with me. I was thinking of trying this week's issue that starts Jeff Lemire's run but it was sold out at the shop.

• The interview I liked to mentioned that there'll be a few new Young Justice books debuting. (The sub-section of the New 52, that is, not necessarily a book by that title or with those characters.)

• Can't say I'm surprised by any of the cancellations, especially Hawkman and Sword of Sorcery. I don't read any of those books so it's no loss on my end.

Still waiting for Earth 2 tpb.

• Harras is all about the gimmicks and hype, isn't he?  He doesn't say much about characterisation, or good storytelling or ambitious creator-driven tales, but he's always with the "We want to shock readers, we want to surprise readers."

If shock and surprise are all he's got, then no wonder I've never been less interested in DC Comics.  I need to be involved, impressed and genuinely entertained too.

Anyway, speaking of the aesthetics of 'Bad 90s Comics', what's with Arse***'s outfit in this pic?

1936083068?profile=original

Is that trucker's-cap-and-mullet-with-a-superhero-outfit some kind of hipster irony, or is it a genuinely felt callback to ..well, Bad 90s Comics?

And I've just noticed Red Hood is wearing a trenchcoat. 

Ah, the 90s.

• Figs, all I will say in defense is that this is a surprisingly good comic--or at least it has been.  Unfortunately, there's a creative team change coming.

Figserello said:

Harras is all about the gimmicks and hype, isn't he?  He doesn't say much about characterisation, or good storytelling or ambitious creator-driven tales, but he's always with the "We want to shock readers, we want to surprise readers."

If shock and surprise are all he's got, then no wonder I've never been less interested in DC Comics.  I need to be involved, impressed and genuinely entertained too.

Anyway, speaking of the aesthetics of 'Bad 90s Comics', what's with Arse***'s outfit in this pic?

1936083068?profile=original

Is that trucker's-cap-and-mullet-with-a-superhero-outfit some kind of hipster irony, or is it a genuinely felt callback to ..well, Bad 90s Comics?

And I've just noticed Red Hood is wearing a trenchcoat. 

Ah, the 90s.

• Can't say I'm crazy about the reign of Harris, either. His interest in comics and mine seem to rarely coincide. 

I don't think it's wrong to want to shock or surprise readers -- but I get the feeling he wants to shock us with things we've seen a million times before.

I'm not surprised by the cancellations, either, but I'm sad to see Sword of Sorcery go. I liked Amethyst, and especially hope we get to see more Beowulf someday.

With the cancellation of Hawkman and Firestorm, I'm beginning to wonder: When do you think we'll see our first revival of a cancelled New 52 title -- and which will it be? So far, I think the biggest contenders would be Hawkman, Firestorm, Justice League International and Static. Of the four of them, Static's the only one that really intrigues me... but I'd love to see them take their time and figure out to do the character justice. (Rumors are there are legal/ownership issues involved, so it's pretty unlikely... but I can dream.)

How many of the original New 52 are left, anyway? (Answering my own question -- looks like 18 of the original 52 have bit the dust. The New 34!)

**also, I didn't note above that DCU Presents is also going away. So that's 8 new books in the next two months!

• Well, Static still has three other major appendages that they can chop off, so there's mileage in him yet.

Rob says Red Hood is a fun comic too, but I'm just commenting on how the surfaces are so perfectly in tune with 90s sensibilities.

In the 70s we loved the 50s and in the 80s we loved the 60s, so I shouldn't be surprised that there is a 90s thing going on right now.  Those revivals in the 70s and 80s tended to focus on the stuff that was wonderful about the past era, whereas DC's infatuation with Bad 90s Comics on the other hand...

When do you think we'll see our first revival of a cancelled New 52 title -- and which will it be?

Wonderful question.  I'm sure finding that there isn't a market for Liefield 90s Hawkman or Deathstroke closes down their options rather bewilderingly for DC.  That ties their hands.

The answer to your question depends on those copyright laws, and how often they have to put out a Hawkman comic to retain the rights.  (Surely not often?  Don't they have TPBs and Justice League Cartoon DVDs with Hawkman in them on the shelves all the time?)

Oh, and according to one of the posters on the linked article: "That leaves 35 of the original 52 still being published and 23 total canceled titles in less than 2 years."

I guess we are in a new paradigm now, but I wonder how that stacks up against previous performance?

• Of the new cancellations, I'll miss Sword of Sorcery.  I can't say I had much interest in the rest, (although Firestorm was at least getting back to basics).  

Seems to me, this new paradigm needs some sort of loss leader exception for critical successes, to give them at least a small chance to build an audience.  On almost every message board I frequent, comments about OMAC and Sword of Sorcery were almost entirely positive, but these were both yanked before they even had a chance to reach the trade crowd.  If DC isn't going to promote anything that isn't Batman or Geoff Johns related, (which of course is just silly talk), they at least need a way to give what quality they're putting out a little extra rope.  The way they're going, they'll never have a sleeper hit, as anything different is cancelled before it even hits the audience.

Ah well... I wonder if June will be the month that DC releases a full slate of new offerings that actually have a chance without promotion?  Snyder's Man of Steel and Red Robin seem like pretty good bets.  Add in Gen 13, (a solid name title to fill out the "Young Justice" category), Shazam, (which has gotten the Geoff Johns push), Cyborg, (brought out front by Justice League [although it seems like he's there because everyone else stepped back]), and Martian Manhunter, (who looks to be front and center again in Justice League of America), and you could conceivably have a wave of releases that doesn't have a cancellation by issue two.  Ah to dream.

• They certainly didn't give Sword of Sorcery or Team 7 much time, did they?

Doesn't make me optimistic about Katana and Vibe.

• The only ones I read are Sword of Sorcery and Team 7. I will truly miss SoS...Team 7 not so much. Sword of Sorcery is another case when everyone complains that there aren't any books with a female lead or female creators. You get both here and it doesn't sell at all, and this one was good. This version outlasted the last on though.

18 from the original 52? That doesn't seem out of line with what normally happens.

This reply was deleted.