The saddest of news today. From The Daily Beast: "Original ‘Star Trek’ Star Nichelle Nichols Dies at 89"

The Daily Beast wrote:

Nichelle Nichols, the pioneering Black actress who first played the role of Nyota Uhura in Star Trek: The Original Series, died Saturday night, her son announced on Facebook. She was 89.

“Last night, my mother, Nichelle Nichols, succumbed to natural causes and passed away,” her son Kyle Johnson wrote Sunday. “Her light however, like the ancient galaxies now being seen for the first time, will remain for us and future generations to enjoy, learn from, and draw inspiration.”

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Here is the posting her son made on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/100044625840800/posts/pfbid02bqp4kTboFxfAW...

Sunday, 31 July 2022
    Friends, Fans, Colleagues, World
    I regret to inform you that a great light in the firmament no longer shines for us as it has for so many years.
    Last night, my mother, Nichelle Nichols, succumbed to natural causes and passed away. Her light however, like the ancient galaxies now being seen for the first time, will remain for us and future generations to enjoy, learn from, and draw inspiration.
    Hers was a life well lived and as such a model for us all.
    I, and the rest of our family, would appreciate your patience and forbearance as we grieve her loss until we can recover sufficiently to speak further. Her services will be for family members and the closest of her friends and we request that her and our privacy be respected.
    Live Long and Prosper,
    Kyle Johnson
    For Media inquiries only, please contact 424-441-9275
  • Oh!

That one caught me off guard.

• I heard that she was getting weaker.

They used clips of her voice on an episode of Star Trek Prodigy, saying Uhura was the best of the best.

But don't fret. Spock, McCoy and Scotty will open hailing frequencies for her and she'll find her way home no problem.

• Knowing her age, I had been dreading this for some time.

Here's the trailer for the documentary they did on her work with NASA. It's very good:

Woman in Motion: Nichelle Nichols, Star Trek and the Remaking of NASA: Official Trailer (2021)

Play Trailer

• For those of you who have access to Paramount+ a very good documentary on Nichelle Nichols. 96 minutes:

Woman In Motion - Watch Full Movie on Paramount Plus

This reply was deleted.