The saddest of news today. From The Daily Beast: "Original ‘Star Trek’ Star Nichelle Nichols Dies at 89"

The Daily Beast wrote:

Nichelle Nichols, the pioneering Black actress who first played the role of Nyota Uhura in Star Trek: The Original Series, died Saturday night, her son announced on Facebook. She was 89.

“Last night, my mother, Nichelle Nichols, succumbed to natural causes and passed away,” her son Kyle Johnson wrote Sunday. “Her light however, like the ancient galaxies now being seen for the first time, will remain for us and future generations to enjoy, learn from, and draw inspiration.”

Views: 128

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Here is the posting her son made on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/100044625840800/posts/pfbid02bqp4kTboFxfAW...

Sunday, 31 July 2022
Friends, Fans, Colleagues, World
I regret to inform you that a great light in the firmament no longer shines for us as it has for so many years.
Last night, my mother, Nichelle Nichols, succumbed to natural causes and passed away. Her light however, like the ancient galaxies now being seen for the first time, will remain for us and future generations to enjoy, learn from, and draw inspiration.
Hers was a life well lived and as such a model for us all.
I, and the rest of our family, would appreciate your patience and forbearance as we grieve her loss until we can recover sufficiently to speak further. Her services will be for family members and the closest of her friends and we request that her and our privacy be respected.
Live Long and Prosper,
Kyle Johnson
For Media inquiries only, please contact 424-441-9275

Oh!

That one caught me off guard.

I heard that she was getting weaker.

They used clips of her voice on an episode of Star Trek Prodigy, saying Uhura was the best of the best.

But don't fret. Spock, McCoy and Scotty will open hailing frequencies for her and she'll find her way home no problem.

Knowing her age, I had been dreading this for some time.

Here's the trailer for the documentary they did on her work with NASA. It's very good:

Woman in Motion: Nichelle Nichols, Star Trek and the Remaking of NASA: Official Trailer (2021)

Play Trailer

For those of you who have access to Paramount+ a very good documentary on Nichelle Nichols. 96 minutes:

Woman In Motion - Watch Full Movie on Paramount Plus

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

Richard Willis replied to Commander Benson's discussion Deck Log Entry # 240 An Empty Chair
"Commander, I have never had a son or an actual brother, but you, your son and all veterans are my…"
13 minutes ago
JD DeLuzio replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"I don't think anyone has posted this one. It was my introduction to Strangers in Paradise and…"
1 hour ago
ClarkKent_DC replied to Commander Benson's discussion Deck Log Entry # 240 An Empty Chair
"A wonderfully eloquent epitaph. My deepest condolences to you, Commander, and to Cheryl."
1 hour ago
Mark Sullivan (Vertiginous Mod) replied to Commander Benson's discussion Deck Log Entry # 240 An Empty Chair
"Such heartbreaking news! I am sorry for the family's grief. But you wrote about it beautifully…"
3 hours ago
Eric L. Sofer replied to Commander Benson's discussion Deck Log Entry # 240 An Empty Chair
"Commander, I hope that the sorrow passes quickly, to be replaced by the love and honor and warm…"
3 hours ago
Philip Portelli replied to Commander Benson's discussion Deck Log Entry # 240 An Empty Chair
"My sincerest condolences to you, your wife and family, Commander. Be strong and remember the love.…"
3 hours ago
doc photo replied to Commander Benson's discussion Deck Log Entry # 240 An Empty Chair
"My condolences to you and Cheryl. I can't imagine the grief that comes with the loss of a…"
3 hours ago
Mark Sullivan (Vertiginous Mod) posted a discussion
3 hours ago
Lee Houston, Junior replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"There is something fascinating about good magic acts. Unfortunately, this might not be one of…"
4 hours ago
Commander Benson posted a discussion
4 hours ago
Peter Wrexham replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"It's getting near the end of the month, and I still have a fair number of classroom scenes in…"
4 hours ago
Dave Palmer replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
5 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service