I meant to post this earlier but Night of the Lepus is on TCM tonight (4/15) at 11:30 PM EST.

This is one of those movies that I always heard about but never seen.

Of course, part of me wanting to see this is that DeForest Kelley is in it. As a kid, I was usually keen on seeing Star Trek actors in other shows!

Views: 1007

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Tonight 10/15 starting at 8PM EST is another Disney Live Action Marathon!

• BEDKNOBS AND BROOMSTICKS (1971) @ 8PM
  • FLIGHT OF THE NAVIGATOR (1986) @ 10:25 PM
  • THE BLACK HOLE (1979) aka Disney's answer to STAR WARS and the highlight of the night @ 12:15 AM
  • THE CAT FROM OUTER SPACE (1978) chocked filled with familiar TV faces @ 2 AM
  • LAST FLIGHT OF NOAH'S ARK (1980) perhaps the sleeper of the night @ 4 AM
  • Plus animated shorts in between the main features!

Philip Portelli said (Sep. 26):

Tonight, starting at 8PM (EST), TCM is showing all four of the Matt Helm movies starring, of course, Dean Martin! They include:

The photo looks like a scene from Star Trek. It could be from a lost 1960s movie where Martin played the role of Captain Kirk.

But seriously - I remember The Black Hole as a hodge-podge, but I like the mystery ship in space concept and the special effects sequence at the conclusion is really something. Dan Spiegle drew the Gold Key adaptation, but Jack Kirby did one that appeared in newspapers. There are samples from it here.

Despite being made due to the success of Star Wars, I remember The Black Hole being more of a mash-up between Star Trek and Lost In Space as if the Disney execs never saw Star Wars but went with what sci-fi was on TV a decade prior.

...Indeed, in his intro to Black Hole, the long-time Disney-associated Leonard Maltin described BH as being " more like something out of the Fifties ". Is that Roddy MacDowell's voice as the robot?

...Indeed, it is Toddy...and So I. Pickens as another robot, both uncredured, differing character types/accents of course.

Why do name actors do this? Is it some weird Actor's Equity rules thing --- especially 30-50 years ago, may be, when animated movies were not as big a part of the mainstream as they are today? 

...Roddy. Roddy McDowell. And Slim Pickens. I thought I corrected the above.

Emerkeith Davyjack said:

Why do name actors do this? 

Just because they are well-known doesn't mean they don't need money.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2018   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service