Are there any well-established heroes who have never had a single solo strip * ? Speedy was around since the Golden Age, but I can't recall any solo stories. Not odd Green Arrow strips in which Ollie was busy and Roy had to fly solo, but dedicated, be-logoed features, such as those enjoyed by Alfred and Robin. I haven't read all the original Teen Titans tales, so perhaps Speedy had a shot (see what I did there?) there, but I suspect Lilith was busy hogging the back-ups, as she went across America finding psychic gingers in plaid who weren't her long-lost relatives.

Even Teen Titans Spotlight in the Eighties seems to have had no love for the guy. Did Roy really have to wait until his horrible Arsenal makeover to get some special time?

And on a vaguely similar note, were the Krypto and Superbaby strips reprinted in Superman Family in the Seventies originally run under the Superboy logo?

* So not the likes of shortlived JLAers Maya, Bloodwynd and Vibe.

Views: 197

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would expect any reader identification figure - ie, someone our age who hangs out with, and helps, the adult star - to have fans. No?

I liked Aqualad because he didn't have any blue in his black hair.

Randy Jackson said:

I'm amazed that Aqualad had any solo stories.  I'm amazed he had any fans.

Obviously he had fans.  I'm just not sure how.  Read some Silver Age Aquaman, and you'll see a character who's utterly, completely useless--heck, Quisp was more interesting and useful than Garth was.  When Mera showed, he truly became the "why is he ruining this perfectly mediocre story" character.

Really, as hard as Haney and Cardy had to work to make him useful in Teen Titans at least he had some use other than "golly Aquaman, I think they have us now.  What will we do?  How will we escape?  Can I whinge more?"

Martin Gray said:

I would expect any reader identification figure - ie, someone our age who hangs out with, and helps, the adult star - to have fans. No?

I liked Aqualad because he didn't have any blue in his black hair.

Randy Jackson said:

I'm amazed that Aqualad had any solo stories.  I'm amazed he had any fans.

The second story in Secret Origins #38 might qualify as a Speedy story. I've not seen it, however.

I think at least one of the "Tales of the Watcher" stories was a story about the Watcher. Mera appeared in a back-up series when Aquaman's title was revived in the 70s.

Some of the Inhumans (not Medusa; she had a solo tale in Marvel Super-Heroes) and some members of the LSH might qualify as well-established heroes who've never had their own tales. I don't believe the pre-Crisis Vartox ever got his own tale.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service