I know this forum focuses mainly on older works of the Silver Age, but we aren't without our discussions on modern books as well. I wanted to start a thread to talk about modern collected editions and original graphic novels out of pure selfishness. I'm afraid some of these would get lost in "What Comic Books Have You Read Today?", and I have things I want to share with everyone! Plus, I look forward to hearing from you about what you all have read as well.

Views: 182

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well, that is indeed motivation for me. In the next month, I will plan to read this book in its entirety. I will also keep the suicide hotline number on hand while doing so... Seriously, I look forward to reading through this series, despite the fact that it is indeed a downer! I may need it after reading books like Sexcastle and Tarantula over the past couple of days.

Mark Sullivan (Vertiginous Mod) said:

I wish I could motivate you guys, but I already did a re-reading thread last year:

http://captaincomics.ning.com/forum/topics/re-reading-stray-bullets...

And a blog entry summary:

https://mrvertigocomics.wordpress.com/2016/07/10/re-reading-stray-b...

"I wish I could motivate you guys, but I already did a re-reading thread last year"

Read my last post to that discussion (dated August 1, 2016). I have been champing at the bit and biting my tongue (to mix a metaphor) waiting to discuss the next collection. Issue #28 shipped two weeks ago.

If I had Uber Alles readily available, I would be reading, but alas I do not. It is packed away with about 90% of everything else I own in storage, BUT I did keep up with the original series to its conclusion, so I've been keeping up with the new series Sunshine & Roses. 

I look forward to discussing the new character. (You know the one I mean.)

Yesterday, Mr. Higgins Comes Home arrived (came home?). It's an OGN written by Mike Mignola, but that's not what drew me to this book. It has art by Warwick Johnson-Cadwell, who is one of my favorite new artists, or new to me, at least. I first saw Johnson-Cadwell's work on the Helena Crash miniseries. The art is in the vein of Andrew MacLean (Headlopper).

Okay, I haven't read it yet, but I am wondering if anyone else had. It looks awesome.

...I am now reading CALIFORNIA DREAMIN', by Penelope Bagieu. It tells of " Cass Elliot Before The Mamas & the Papas ". The author is French, the 2015 book was translated to Anglo-Saxon in 2017, Ms. Bagieu apparently is well-established in France - and was born years after Ms. Elliot's death. An odd - interesting - subject for someone to bring up today!

This sounds fantastic! Thanks for the recommendation, Emerkeith!

Emerkeith Davyjack said:

...I am now reading CALIFORNIA DREAMIN', by Penelope Bagieu. It tells of " Cass Elliot Before The Mamas & the Papas ". The author is French, the 2015 book was translated to Anglo-Saxon in 2017, Ms. Bagieu apparently is well-established in France - and was born years after Ms. Elliot's death. An odd - interesting - subject for someone to bring up today!

I second the recommendation; it's a good book, well-researched and -executed by Bagieu.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service