A ‘Giant-Size’ beginning, 41 regular issues ,one Annual, from the 1970s, a follow up 4-issue mini-series and some significant tales in Captain America and Namor before a mini revival in the new millennium…!

We will be starting in June 1975 – with Giant-Size Invaders #1 , a 30 page special written by Roy Thomas with art in the individual style of Frank Robbins and inked by Vince Colletta.

World War Two heroes Captain America and Bucky, the android Human Torch and partner Toro and Namor the Sub-Mariner find themselves thrown together against the Nazi villainy of Master Man and no less a figure than Winston Churchill helps form the …Invaders!

I’d love to know what memories anyone has of this series before I summarise it issue by issue….anyone up for it? (I’ll wait a bit for people to locate their issues if you’d like…)

(First question I’ll throw out there – anyone else notice the mistake on the cover of Invaders classic tpk #1)

Views: 18066

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is how dim I am - somebody had to point out to me that the Crusaders were a thinly-veiled pastiche (if that is the right word) of the Freedom Fighters!  Oddly enough, when a thinly-veiled pastiche of the Invaders turned up in the Freedom FIghters' own mag, I picked up on that right away!

Well, the Invaders characters are a lot more iconic than the Freedom Fighters!

Roy Thomas is a master of the 'thinly-veiled'..

The Baron said:

This is how dim I am - somebody had to point out to me that the Crusaders were a thinly-veiled pastiche (if that is the right word) of the Freedom Fighters!  Oddly enough, when a thinly-veiled pastiche of the Invaders turned up in the Freedom FIghters' own mag, I picked up on that right away!

Here's a fairly lengthy explanation.

Wow . Thanks for that link.
Fascinating!

The Baron said:

Here's a fairly lengthy explanation.

Wasn't there also a similar crossover-that-wasn't with the Teen Titans and the DNAgents?

Yep!

There was TALES OF THE NEW TEEN TITANS #48 (N'84) where they battled the Recombatants consisting as Aurora (Rainbow), Dreadnought (Tank), Topaz (Amber) and Pseudos (Sham). I don't remember why Surge wasn't represented.

DNAGENTS #14 (Jl'84) had Eclipse's teen titans battle Project: Youngblood who included Black Owl (Nightwing), Amazing Girl (Wonder Girl), Roboto (Cyborg), Celestia (Starfire) and Heartstring (Jericho). Again, not sure why there's no Raven or Changeling analogues.

Both homage teams sacrifice themselves for the "home" teams!

"Thinly veiled" characters have been hovering around in comics for so long that every time there's a new team the first thing my brain does is look for analogs.

Of course, this is the same brain that was trained by Silver Age Superman comics to read every unusual name backwards just in case ...

I'm like that with names possibly being anagrams.
'Dell Rusk' in Captain America never fooled me.!

Captain Comics said:

"Thinly veiled" characters have been hovering around in comics for so long that every time there's a new team the first thing my brain does is look for analogs.

Of course, this is the same brain that was trained by Silver Age Superman comics to read every unusual name backwards just in case ...

When did Jackie become a vampire?

Ah. Mark. You see she was bitten by Baron Blood (go see above. We'll wait.!)
Anyway that bite caused her to need a transfusion from the Human Torch's universal blood-type which gave her her Spitfire powers. BUT although it isn't aparent until many years later ( I think) she gradually finds herself becoming more and more influenced by the vampire taint and gains the fangs that she struggles to deny...all still to come.......

Mark S. Ogilvie said:

When did Jacki shee become a vampire?

Vampire Taint would be a good goth band name.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service