A ‘Giant-Size’ beginning, 41 regular issues ,one Annual, from the 1970s, a follow up 4-issue mini-series and some significant tales in Captain America and Namor before a mini revival in the new millennium…!

We will be starting in June 1975 – with Giant-Size Invaders #1 , a 30 page special written by Roy Thomas with art in the individual style of Frank Robbins and inked by Vince Colletta.

World War Two heroes Captain America and Bucky, the android Human Torch and partner Toro and Namor the Sub-Mariner find themselves thrown together against the Nazi villainy of Master Man and no less a figure than Winston Churchill helps form the …Invaders!

I’d love to know what memories anyone has of this series before I summarise it issue by issue….anyone up for it? (I’ll wait a bit for people to locate their issues if you’d like…)

(First question I’ll throw out there – anyone else notice the mistake on the cover of Invaders classic tpk #1)

Views: 18064

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I should have suspected as much when I found out that the CCA was responsible for the She-Hulk's clothing always tearing in just the right way to cover her naughty bits (I imagine they must be the ones supplying her cousin Bruce with his purple pants, as well).

Those CCA guys are such spoilsports!

AVENGERS (v3) #83 (08/04)
“Once An INVADER Part 2”

Writer – Chuck Austin Pencil Art – Scott Kolins
Also known as Avengers ~.#496

The title only appears on the cover.

The cover is at least something to do with the inside story – featuring as it does the new look new line-up for the New-Invaders., as before I don’t like the look for Spitfire and who’s the female Torch figure…?

After his rescue last issue the Blazing Skull is costumed up and the new group arrive at a sea battle, USAgent (still looking like Captain America) orders everyone into battle, assisting the Sub-Mariner’s troops in defending an oil tanker.

Walker releases his secret weapon, a (naked) female who on contact with air bursts into flame as a female Human Torch, apparently called ‘Tara’.

USAgent refuses to share her back-story with Union Jack and Spitfire, who reminds Walker she doesn’t like him and they all move on to an audience with Namor..

USAgent wants to join with Namor to overturn the government of Mazikhandar – for the good of all – and oil – of course.

We learn from Peter Gyrich of the New Invaders and their plans – and we get the revelation that Del Rusk – who was the Red Skull in disguise, had ordered the Invaders together when he posed as a good guy ….

Oh and Hawkeye and Wasp discuss their kiss last issue and it’s ramifications, Goliath laughs at the idea then realises how volatile his teammates still think he is – then catches Wasp and Hawkeye – ‘doing it’…Fade out…

For an Invaders interested reader this is a perfect issue – only five (that’s all = 5!) pages are actually taken up by Avengers in their own mag and the rest is dedicated to furthering the ‘New Invaders’ theme…

Kolins clearly likes drawing big bulky heroes; all his men are built like bodybuilders – even Peter Gyrich which is just not right!
Worse of all was the ridiculous budgie-smuggler Speedos he puts Namor in – that’s just unsightly!

(Why isn’t he in his black-wet-suit look that he’s favoured for many years…?)

I have said this before…---Del Rusk = Red Skull and no one saw that??!!

However, by this connection I think we’re supposed to accept that maybe the New Invaders are misguided – although their mission to save lives and overthrow tyranny seems pretty acceptable to me…?

Tara is a mystery, Union Jack is all guns and Spitfire all attitude while USAgent chews the scenery almost foaming at the mouth and the Blazing Skull remains the wisecracking, unhinged, comic relief – and seems to have very undefined powers.
Namor is as pompous as he ever gets.

Character wise everyone is all over the place, the Avengers come off worse, in their own book! – I said before – I don’t have a problem with Jan and Clint ‘enjoying themselves’ but their opinion of Hank Pym is way out of date, Clint worked with him for years on the West Coast between ‘that slap’ and now – this ‘betrayal’ was being blown way out of proportion for me.

As the second of a three-parter its kind-of okay, everyone is almost in place, but I’m having trouble understanding everyone’s motivations and as a unit – I’m not sure I even like these ‘New Invaders’…

Come back.......for the last 'pre-Bendis' Avengers issue......part 3 of ..."Once An Invader....."

That costume on Spitfire and the hair style... Don't like it.

AVENGERS (v3) #84 (09/04)
“Once An INVADER Part 3”
Writer – Chuck Austin Pencil Art – Scott Kolins
Also known as Avengers ~.#499

That’s not a bad cover, but as the very last Avengers before Disassembled it seems a bit off-topic.

As a Namor cover it brings his pompous character brilliantly to the issue – but may have been more appropriate for the previous issue than this one…

So, the Avengers race off to the mission which is to counter the activities of the ‘New Invaders’ …and that means interrupting the Jan-Clint-Hank love triangle…
“” you have a pair of underwear hanging out of your belt. Women’s underwear.”

The New Invaders attack the Capitol – Spitfire kissing Union Jack while the bombs blow …

The Avengers arrive to counter the Invaders and there’s an assassination to end the issue in shock.
And end the pre-Bendis Avengers.

And set up the New Invaders issue 0.

Again the art is overblown and super-steroidal.

The characterisation awaits a reaction from Hank Pym – that we never see and since when did Wasp become Giant-Woman…?

Not great, but an enticing start to the New Invaders title…but come back and we’ll see where that leads…

Did anyone out there enjoy this stuff…?

NEW INVADERS  # 0 (08/04)

“Join The FIGHT!”
Writer – Allan Jacobsen & Chuck Austin Art – C.P.Smith

That’s a Scott Kolins cover, linking this series to the end of the Avengers series as discussed above.

At last a new Invaders title after all these years…!

Carrying straight on from the last page of Avengers #84 the Avengers and the ‘New Invaders’ are in the country of Mazikhandar and the president has been shot dead.

The Avengers and the Invaders argue politics leading to Hawkeye actually shooting and arrow in US Agent’s leg.

Meanwhile the Thin Man covertly discovers that the president had already been killed and replaced by the Red Skull / Dell Rusk a long time ago.

The Thin Man influences all plays subtlely and after Atlantis enters a pact with Mazihandar they send the Avengers away…leaving the New Invaders and the Thin Man together…and mired in mystery….
Not least among the mysteries – how come the Thin Man is still alive and what’s his motivation?

I confess here that I have read and re-read this issue and I have virtually no idea what’s going on and how much further the story had progressed by the end of the issue.

I can’t even say it’s a smooth transition from the New Invaders guesting in the Avengers to headlining their own title, there’s not much of either team shown here.

Union Jack shows awe in front of Captain America.
Blazing Skull makes a crass joke.
The female naked Human Torch Tara is mentioned but hardly seen.
Namor has a major part here but never feels part of the New Invaders grouping, more like a guest-star in his own right.

Art wise this is much different to the Scott Kolins art we’ve been seeing, there is a muted colour palette and everything looks muddy and dull.

I don’t know this C.P.Smith but he struggles with facial expressions and his women (especially Giant-Wasp here) are awful.

As an opening issue for the new ongoing title it is very annoying that this ‘0’ issue was not collected in the New Invaders trade with the rest of issues #1-#9 but I’m not at all convinced it is a necessary chapter of the story.

So, the New Invaders consist, probably, of Spitfire, Union Jack, US Agent, Blazing Skull, Tara, Namor and the Thin Man.

Come back and see if the new title ever had a chance of working out…

I look at that cover and I just wonder if Captain America ate Toro or something. He looks fat.

Richard said:

Come back and see if the new title ever had a chance of working out…

With Chuck Austen writing, probably not.

It's actually USAgent wearing his Cap uniform (over his own?). Never any explanation for the look - let alone the extra pounds.

Ah, okay.

Richard Mantle said:

It's actually USAgent wearing his Cap uniform (over his own?). Never any explanation for the look - let alone the extra pounds.

It's like "Hoth-uniform Captain America."

It's just Captain America representing his country -- the fattest country on earth.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service