A ‘Giant-Size’ beginning, 41 regular issues ,one Annual, from the 1970s, a follow up 4-issue mini-series and some significant tales in Captain America and Namor before a mini revival in the new millennium…!

We will be starting in June 1975 – with Giant-Size Invaders #1 , a 30 page special written by Roy Thomas with art in the individual style of Frank Robbins and inked by Vince Colletta.

World War Two heroes Captain America and Bucky, the android Human Torch and partner Toro and Namor the Sub-Mariner find themselves thrown together against the Nazi villainy of Master Man and no less a figure than Winston Churchill helps form the …Invaders!

I’d love to know what memories anyone has of this series before I summarise it issue by issue….anyone up for it? (I’ll wait a bit for people to locate their issues if you’d like…)

(First question I’ll throw out there – anyone else notice the mistake on the cover of Invaders classic tpk #1)

Views: 18047

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There tends to be alot about her having her son and they built the vampire thing in recent years but her USP of being deaged is not really touched on , no Mark.

"USP"?

Sorry - Unique Selling Point.

Richard Mantle said:

The shield is supposed to have all the names of people who died in 9/11 I believe as his tribute.
Again it's not made very clear.
Very little is made clear here.

I'm struggling with what to make of this point. I think I'm coming down on the side of "tasteless and naff"?

I think everyone was suposed to feel the same.
As with everything else with this series - it just didn't quite work.

I remembered this series mainly for how much I disliked it. Now I remember why!

NEW INVADERS #3 (12/04)
“To End All Wars Part 3 of 3”
Writer – Allan Jacobsen Art – C.P.Smith

That’s another Scott Kolins cover, I actually like that figure of Namor and it reminds me that I haven’t mentioned that it’s a breath of fresh air seeing him drawn without his wetsuit look but he looks much more heroic and less pompous here than Kolins drew him in the Avengers issues earlier.

I still don’t understand the Torch’s combat fatigues and that ice-cream cone motif but this is a good striking cover.

So we’re onboard the Infiltrator and the bad guys are winning. Namor and the female-android-Torch-Tara attack but Tara gets hurt – which instantly also hurts the Human Torch.

We learn that the main bad guy is actually Herr Nacht from the Byrne/Namor title where the Torch lost most of his powers to the blood transfusion that restored Spitfire to youth (Remember everyone? Good.)

Warrior Woman beats up US Agent.

Uman fights Namor and Nia who we learn is his biological daughter – after ‘”one moment of brutal pleasure”

Spitfire battles Baroness Blood who it appears is her daughter-in-law and she makes mention of her son John too (where did I miss all those events then?)

Having had his head cut off last issue the 'Blazing JAW' fights and talks on and on (no I don’t know how that’s possible either)

Eventually the bad guys are all dispatched away after some technobabble and as the Thin Man quotes Shakespeare – or Khan Noonian Sing.

So there we are, the end of the battle, the heroes lick their wounds and look to the future as the Invaders…

The art is all over the place here. Namor is still drawn with the most ridiculous face and hairline I’ve ever seen and are all the costumes and masks of both the good and the bad guys just designed so no actual other faces or features need to be drawn?

What’s the Tara hurt / Torch feels it plotline? Is this the beginnings of the Human torch as the messiah’ of all synthetic life..?

Herr Nacht is the big bad? He of the money and the pride and the Master Man leather and laces? Covered up in a very dull costume/mask. Not much character in his look and not much development in his character.

I still don’t understand any of the motivations of any of these bad guys other than – ‘we’re bad!’

Baroness Blood says at one point as she tries to suck Jacqueline’s blood “I need that power. Your grandson needs that power” another possible plotline for later issues if this series had have prospered.

So the opening ‘origin story’ is over , the players are set, there’s so many questions that surely some of them will be addressed ….next issue…?

There sure is a lot of rapiness around here of late. Wasn't Yellow Lotus or whatever her name is raped as well? And who did U-Man rape? Was it a "name" or just a random Atlantean chick?

Gah! I need a shower.

Also, the Torch's new symbol looks a LOT like the one worn by Byrne's Torch of Liberty (over at Dark Horse). I don't remember if the characters are contemporaneous.

U-Man raped old Invaders enemy Lady Lotus and this Nia was the resultant child...and married the Fin (who I cannot explain why is still young.)

Oh, I see, it's the SAME rape, not two different ones. That's better, I guess. For some reason, I thought Master Man had his way with Lotus lady.

The Fin stays young because he has a magic sword. At least that's the explanation.

Nia being the heroic daughter of the evil U-Man is very similar to the Defenders' Andromeda being the daughter of Attuma. I guess Warlord Krang never had any kids!

I guess it's also similar to Gamora being the adopted daughter of Thanos, but turning against him and being heroic (after a fashion). OTOH, there's Nebula, who claimed to be Thanos' granddaughter, and emulated his pursuit of the Infinity Gauntlet. I think she was lying, though.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service