A ‘Giant-Size’ beginning, 41 regular issues ,one Annual, from the 1970s, a follow up 4-issue mini-series and some significant tales in Captain America and Namor before a mini revival in the new millennium…!

We will be starting in June 1975 – with Giant-Size Invaders #1 , a 30 page special written by Roy Thomas with art in the individual style of Frank Robbins and inked by Vince Colletta.

World War Two heroes Captain America and Bucky, the android Human Torch and partner Toro and Namor the Sub-Mariner find themselves thrown together against the Nazi villainy of Master Man and no less a figure than Winston Churchill helps form the …Invaders!

I’d love to know what memories anyone has of this series before I summarise it issue by issue….anyone up for it? (I’ll wait a bit for people to locate their issues if you’d like…)

(First question I’ll throw out there – anyone else notice the mistake on the cover of Invaders classic tpk #1)

Views: 18093

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

To me, Sal Buscema was a major step DOWN from Marie Severin, who I feel was a better match for Namor than Gene Colan or John Buscema.

Oddly enough, I thought Ross Andru was a much better match with Namor than he ever was with Spider-Man... but unfortunately, he only drew 3 issues, each one finished by a different inker.

Ok. Sorry. Visiting family and the sun's been out!!

Anyway... Coming soon..! Bucky's finest hour? Someone else does the art??
"Give me liberty or give me the legion...!? . . .that's not quite right is it..?

Semi-seriously though. . . Any memories of the Liberty Legion story arc before we take a detailed look??

I remembered liking them more than The Invaders simply because to me they were new. I had seen Submariner and Captain America for years and although this was younger versions of them, they were a bit of old hat when the Liberty Legion came around.

Richard Mantle said:

Ok. Sorry. Visiting family and the sun's been out!!

Anyway... Coming soon..! Bucky's finest hour? Someone else does the art??
"Give me liberty or give me the legion...!? . . .that's not quite right is it..?

Semi-seriously though. . . Any memories of the Liberty Legion story arc before we take a detailed look??

Absolutely loved the Liberty Legion! Especially Blue Diamond, Thin Man and Jack Frost! I think Marvel has pretty much killed all members of the Legion since The Invaders. I know Blue Diamond was changed into a living diamond and took off into space in a Marvel Two-In-One issue and Jack Frost was killed (?) in a Cap America issue. Didn't Miss America die in one of the Vision & Scarlet Witch series? We all know about Jeff Mace. Don't know about Thin Man or Red Raven.

Yeah. Definitely liked the Legion.

For a while Miss America was Wanda and Peitro's mother, that's about all I remember of her.

Did they?
Any idea which MTIO.? Which Cap??
My understanding is that Miss America died in child-birth - that ended up NOT being Wanda.
I know the aging Whizzer was around the Avengers for a while but did he actually die at all?

And I always wanted Jack Frost to be/link to the early Iron Man baddie by the same name. - but I don't think they did.

Mark Stanislawski said:

Absolutely loved the Liberty Legion! Especially Blue Diamond, Thin Man and Jack Frost! I think Marvel has pretty much killed all members of the Legion since The Invaders. I know Blue Diamond was changed into a living diamond and took off into space in a Marvel Two-In-One issue and Jack Frost was killed (?) in a Cap America issue. Didn't Miss America die in one of the Vision & Scarlet Witch series? We all know about Jeff Mace. Don't know about Thin Man or Red Raven.

Yeah. Definitely liked the Legion.

The Various Fates of the Liberty Legion

SPOILER ALERT....SPOILER ALERT.....SPOILER ALERT...........SPOILER ALERT......SPOILER ALERT.....

You have been warned!

THE RED RAVEN: As the Golden Age Hawkman was Roy Thomas' favorite hero as a child, he revived Timely's ripoff analogue in X-MEN #44 (My'68) battling the Angel and then in SUB-MARINER #26 (Ju'70). He died in the latter, was revealed to have a daughter, Dania who became the new Red Raven, then he wasn't dead anymore! Also his origin got linked to the Inhumans.

MISS AMERICA: her death in childbirth was revealed in Giant-Size Avengers #1 (1974). Her son, Nuklo, is still around!

BLUE DIAMOND: became an elderly bitter man, though still diamond-hard, as seen in MARVEL TWO-IN-ONE #79 (S'81). There he saved Alicia Masters from an angry mob and was transformed into living diamond by the cosmic Star-Dancer. She enclosed his town with an energy dome with the Thing on the outside. The scared people inside thought that Alicia was responsible and were about to lynch her! And while they were stringing her up, she was worried about THEM and what Ben would do to them! That woman's a saint, I tell ya!

THE PATRIOT: Jeff Mace was revealed to have cancer in Captain America Annual #6 (1982) and died peacefully with his hero by his side in Captain America #285 (S'83).

THE WHIZZER: died of an urinary tract infection.

I'm kidding! After his revival in Giant-Size Avengers #1, he thought that he was the father of Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch. He also aided the Avengers admirably in The Avengers #153-158. Even after, Wanda found out who her real father was, she let Bob Frank believe that she was his daughter. He found out the truth right before he was killed in THE VISION AND THE SCARLET WITCH #2 (D'82) protecting his real son, Nuklo from his old enemy Isbisa.

THE THIN MAN: after fighting the urge for many years, Nick Charles finally left the running of the family paper mills to his son, Nick Jr and once more became a detective, much to the delight of his wife, Nora. Their happiness was diluted by the demise of their beloved dog, Asta. Unfortunately the couple eventually perished due to acute alcohol poisoning. I swear, those two drank at the drop of a hat and a LOT of hats dropped around them!

Okay! Okay!

Bruce Dickson returned to the Himalayas' hidden city of Kalahia after the war only to be horrified to find it completely destroyed and its people slaughtered, including his beloved Olalla. Grief-stricken he later learned that it was Agent Axis, the triple-spy that masterminded the massacre but he helped the CIA after the war against the Soviets and was granted immunity. In front of Captain America, the Thin Man triple-broke Axis' neck and was arrested in Marvel Comics Presents #34 (Late D'89). He later formed a more violent version of the Invaders. As far as I know, he's still alive.

JACK FROST: Eventually someone at Marvel realized that the Frosty One was the only Liberty Legion member not accounted for/had his life ruined so he reappeared in CAPTAIN AMERICA #384 (Ap'91) where he was rumored to be a very small Jotun from Asgard and was perpetually trapped in the gullet of a huge Ice Worm!

After all, we do have Iceman!

The Liberty Legion: The only team that has their real lives make them miss the Nazis!

Sure seems like these guys spent an awful lot of energy KILLING OFF old heroes, doesn't it?

"Vol. 5! It will reprint issues #25-38"

Sal Buscema-- AUGH!!!!   : )

I liked Sal on CAP... and DEFENDERS...  but not really that much else.

Amazing info thankyou.
I must get the Thin Man dvd box set!!??

Go for their other movies too. William Powel and Myrna Loy made a few movies together beside the Thin Man movies.

Richard Mantle said:

Amazing info thankyou.
I must get the Thin Man dvd box set!!??

Sadly yes.

Henry R. Kujawa said:

Sure seems like these guys spent an awful lot of energy KILLING OFF old heroes, doesn't it?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service