A ‘Giant-Size’ beginning, 41 regular issues ,one Annual, from the 1970s, a follow up 4-issue mini-series and some significant tales in Captain America and Namor before a mini revival in the new millennium…!

We will be starting in June 1975 – with Giant-Size Invaders #1 , a 30 page special written by Roy Thomas with art in the individual style of Frank Robbins and inked by Vince Colletta.

World War Two heroes Captain America and Bucky, the android Human Torch and partner Toro and Namor the Sub-Mariner find themselves thrown together against the Nazi villainy of Master Man and no less a figure than Winston Churchill helps form the …Invaders!

I’d love to know what memories anyone has of this series before I summarise it issue by issue….anyone up for it? (I’ll wait a bit for people to locate their issues if you’d like…)

(First question I’ll throw out there – anyone else notice the mistake on the cover of Invaders classic tpk #1)

Views: 17852

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I doubt that will last.

Still it is interesting to see how the Captain America who was part of the Invaders when they were first created is different from the Captain America in that shot.

PowerBook Pete, the Mad Mod said:

NEW INVADERS #1 (10/04)
“To End All Wars Part 1 of 3”
Writer – Allan Jacobsen Art – C.P.Smith

That’s a Scott Kolins cover, US Agent still looks remarkably fat and in the

‘original three-commemorative illustration above , Captain America looks ridiculously smug - it’s cartoonlike- and lets not even think about the prominence of Namor’s nipples!

The main action has moved on from the Avengers crossover in the #0 issue and we’ve actually got a bit of catching up to do.

Jim Hammond, the Original Human Torch is saved from attack by – the New Invaders – who consist of the Blazing Skull, US Agent (still calling himself – and dressing like) Captain America, Namor the Sub-Mariner, the Union Jack (III), Spitfire, the Thin Man and Tara a Human Torch.

Once this issue’s bad guys are defeated, sometimes quite violently, the New Invaders are introduced to the Original Human Torch who is not happy with the treatment of the (unnecessarily in his eyes) naked – and clearly synthetic –Tara.

Joey Chapman and Jacqueline Chricton discuss their romance and their strange lives together along with the importance of the Original Human Torch around them.

The Thin Man explains his mission statement which is to seek out technological assassins that travel through dimensional space, they were responsible for the massacre of the people that gave him his powers and therefore he holds a grudge, but also they represent a threat to the entire free world.
The Thin Man was duped at that time by Dell Rusk/ Red Skull and these ‘Axis Mundi’ but he did go ahead and build an interdimensional battleship which he unveils to our heroes…

For those reading along via trades, we’re now into the ‘New Invaders: To End All Wars” trade which covers the issues #1-#9. (and has this issue as it's trade cover.)

I should confess that although I have read this series/trade several times, I am not at all convinced that I actually understand everything that is supposed to be going on!

There are a lot of differences between this series and the #0 issue, which is odd.

I would expect the #0 to be a kind of sample of the series if not a straightforward origin issue, but this really is like another series altogether.

The writing, without a Chuck Austen co-credit does feel very different and the art feels like it’s a massive change although it’s by the same guy as last issue!
The art is dark and the colours so very very muddy it is distracting.

The costumes of some of the cast have changed drastically - with no explanation – also.
Most striking among the revamped looks is Spitfire’s. As much as the spiky haired punk look of the recent past was not a great look for Jacqueline, this new look, of a yellow wetsuit with tight swim cap is just awful!

How missed is Frank Robbins?

Union Jack’s alter ego of Joey Chapman is drawn so completely different from previous appearances, his early look mullet hairdo has not only gone but he now looks thirty years older and the spitting image of Carry-On star Sid James!
It is such a strong change I honestly thought I’d missed an explanation of some crisis in his life!

I am equally confused as to how the Thin Man has survived so many years since the War without aging much – clearly that’s a story I missed and I find it annoying that there isn’t a character synopsis here.

Come back next time when…well…kind of more of the same…I think…

On that cover, Blazing Skull looks like that Scooby Doo space ghost. Is USAgent's shield supposed to be reflecting a newspaper?

The shield is supposed to have all the names of people who died in 9/11 I believe as his tribute.
Again it's not made very clear.
Very little is made clear here.

I don't believe I've ever read a story explaining the Thin Man's longevity either. But since he seems to have evaporated after the end of this series, I guess it doesn't much matter.

His ability to become fourth-dimensional attributed to his longevity as the people who taught him that were highly advanced.

I thought the Thin Man became two-dimensional...

Well, this clears it up.

The Marvel Wiki database says Bruce "Thin Man" Dicksen is immortal and ageless. He becomes thin by warping parts of his body into other dimensions, rendering what's left sorta two-dimensional.

Incidentally, he got immortal and super-powered by one of those Shangri-La kinda places that are thick on the ground in the pulps and comics. You couldn't go to the Himalayas without tripping over one.  Just ask The Shadow, Thin Man, Deadman, Green Lama, Dr. Doom, Dr. Strange ... must be a franchise!

NEW INVADERS #2 (11/04)
“To End All Wars Part 2 of 3”
Writer – Allan Jacobsen Art – C.P.Smith

Another Scott Kolins cover, US Agent still looks a bit porky and his shield looks ridiculously small.

Nice to see a cover appearance by Tara the female-android-human-Torch, hopefully that means there might be some explanation/characterisation of her this issue…?

We open still in the country of Mazikhandar where we’ve been with these New Invaders all along. The Torch discusses the political position of the Thin Man and the Invaders along with the V-Battalion and is attacked by Namor!

Soon the two old friends form an uneasy alliance to continue the fight against the terrorist cell the Axis Mundi.
(Again – I think – this is the plot, it really does seem confused and reads as if this crosses with another title that I haven’t read.)

Our team banter in their copter, US Agent discusses his new/old shield which looks like a broken crusades type and later shows half of it appears to be a force field or something.

Union Jack and Spitfire have a tiff and we learn things are cooling between them.

The Thin Man announces their arrival at the Infiltrator ship, but the Torch doesn’t see it,

‘”Of course not. You aren’t Kalahian”

The team is met by Peter whom we soon discover used to be the hero the Fin and Nia his wife who appear to run the ship in the Thin Man’s absence but he soon takes over and explains the capabilities of the vessel and introduces everyone to a board showing many heroes whom he says he has kept alliances with – and seems to count them all as – Invaders.

The Thin Man introduces all this set up as an overture to Jim Hammond, the Torch, wanting him to be the tactical leader of the team.
The Torch is not convinced.
He meets Tara the synthetic female Torch, now decently dressed in a bodysuit and tells her she is one of the reasons he is there.
She openly asks if he wants to make love to her.

Gunshots conveniently interrupt that question and we find the Blazing Skull and US Agent sparring and bickering and it falls to Union Jack to announce that they’re all ‘lunatics’ and he and Us Agent get physical.

Down below, the Thin Man explains that the enemy troops are synthetic beings, imprinted with the ‘genetic memory’ of Agent Axis from WW2.

Suddenly the Infiltrator is attacked, which should not be possible as they should be kind of invisible.
Blazing Skull gets his head chopped off (honestly!) and the bad-guys announce – in German – the Infiltrator is theirs!!

The main bag-guy is clearly a Nazi, but all masked up and not named in this issue. It’s clearly not the Red Skull but otherwise a mystery for next issue.
With him in that last page teaser appears to be U-Man, Warrior Woman, and a female Baron Blood?

The Torch’s costume here such as it is another departure from previous and consists of a large flame motif which looks like a large ice-cream cone and reminds me of the pre-Quasar –Crusader look.

US Agent says his new shield is a trusty old one but I have no idea when he ever used this.

Union Jack and Spitfire have a tiff and we learn that Jacqueline’s son Kenneth is dead – I don’t know when how that happened either.

We all knew her brother was dead and that this Union Jack was her son’s best friend but this death was news to me at this point.

On the visual board showing Invaders allies we get to see Red Raven, Citizen V, Blue Diamond, the Destroyer and the original Vision.

The Thin Man even refers to Roger Aubrey as the Destroyer – who it appears is also still around.

The Thin Man admits to the Torch being the third choice for leader - we don’t find out who the other two were except that one was unlikely to have been Captain America.
“Steve Rogers and I have a complicated history; we do not work well together.”

Torch makes reference to “Not so long ago “ losing Toro, but even in Marvel-time that must have been quite some considerable time mustn’t it?

Every super-group has to have its share of internal bickering, even the original Invaders did a bit of it, but this is getting really annoying now…we get that no-one particularly likes each other, can we get on please?

Infact that's a symptom of what's not working in this series - there is just no-one here to like at all!

The Thin Man explains he was jailed for executing Agent Axis.
Again I have no idea and no reference as to when this happened.

It isn’t clear on her first appearance as the colouring is so vague throughout, but Nia is a blue-skinned  Atlantean.
Now this character at some point (?) gets explained to be the daughter of Lady Lotus (the old Invaders enemy) the product of having been raped by Merrano the U-Man.
I am not at all sure if I like or approve of that kind of character point. Is it necessary, does it add anything?
What do you think?

By the way, we know Lady Lotus survived until modern Marvel, so there’s a ‘meet-mom’ storyline waiting out there somewhere – and I’m convinced the writers here would have gone down that line had this series have survived…

Again the story is confusing, the plot either complex or paper-thin and the art…the art is really annoying dull, dark, muddy and just strange looking.

Next issue – the last of the opening three parter…come back…

Man, it's confusing just to read the post. Maybe the characters would have been better off in limbo.

Believe me Mark, I am trying to make all this reader-friendly but it's a mighty struggle.
It feels like there should be some Index information page s as back-ups but alas no.
I am totally baffled when I admit to it here and I can't believe I was a minority!?

Funny thing is when Jackie was introduced as a aged person in Captain America I felt it was the right thing to do, giving the book a more mortal feeling. I know that comic book characters don't deal well with aging and dying, but for someone who fought with Cap in WW2 that was the right thing, after all not everyone was Namor or the Torch. Zapping her back to a young woman would have been interesting because of all of the changes that have gone on in our society where women are concerned. Jackie would look young but easily remember life before women's liberation, but I don't think that was even touched on was it?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service