A ‘Giant-Size’ beginning, 41 regular issues ,one Annual, from the 1970s, a follow up 4-issue mini-series and some significant tales in Captain America and Namor before a mini revival in the new millennium…!

We will be starting in June 1975 – with Giant-Size Invaders #1 , a 30 page special written by Roy Thomas with art in the individual style of Frank Robbins and inked by Vince Colletta.

World War Two heroes Captain America and Bucky, the android Human Torch and partner Toro and Namor the Sub-Mariner find themselves thrown together against the Nazi villainy of Master Man and no less a figure than Winston Churchill helps form the …Invaders!

I’d love to know what memories anyone has of this series before I summarise it issue by issue….anyone up for it? (I’ll wait a bit for people to locate their issues if you’d like…)

(First question I’ll throw out there – anyone else notice the mistake on the cover of Invaders classic tpk #1)

Views: 18062

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wow, I actually have that Avengers Spotlight issue (Its Avengers of course I've got it!) - but I'd missed that historic gem

and the Phantom Eagle appearance I was thinking of was Incredible Hulk #135 I believe.

Philip Portelli said:

Actually the Crimson Cavalier is referred to as the Swordsman's ancestor in AVENGERS SPOTLIGHT #22 (S'89) written by frequent Amazing Heroes contributor Lou Mougin and drawn by his co-creator Don Heck!

It's possible Roy Thomas didn't want Union Jack to be the only costumed hero of WWI.

The Phantom Eagle appeared as a ghost in, naturally, GHOST RIDER #12 (Ju'75) and I was wrong. His first appearance was in MARVEL SUPER-HEROES #16 (S'68).

(It can be so frustrating using Safari on this board, half the time my responses just vanish and I'm left with a blank space)

I liked Baron Blood as a villain, he seemed right for the times and I remember reading in one of the Black and White Dracula's that Dracula himself didn't do much in WW2. I thought that the Invaders were captured far too easily though. The next issue was a reprint of a GA Captain America story wasn't it?

I do believe you're right Mark - are you reading along - or from memory...?

Mark S. Ogilvie said:

The next issue was a reprint of a GA Captain America story wasn't it?

Memory, back then I didn't see a lot of Captain America stories from WW2 and it stuck in my mind.

It is interesting as you'll see when I do the proper entry . . -
They integrate it into the story with a framing sequence of the storyline proper - rather than just fob off with the reprint alone!!

Mark S. Ogilvie said:

Memory, back then I didn't see a lot of Captain America stories from WW2 and it stuck in my mind.

That's another reason I remember it.

I am behind in reading along because I just got back from vacation but here are a few thoughts:

Invaders 5 & 6 and Marvel Premiere 29 & 30 - Of course, I love the Liberty Legion and they were supposed to be showcased so, yes, The Invaders themselves are kind of guest-stars in their own book. Even Bucky, who gets the team together, suddenly steps back and really does nothing except a lot of "logistics" and "legwork". I like the fact that Roy Thomas incorporated Blue Diamond's only appearance in comics and made him a super-hero rookie!

Krieghund constantly mocks and is sarcastic to the Red Skull, until the Red Skull threatens Krieghund and then he falls in line. Why doesn't he just kill Krieghund and be done with him? We know that the Red Skull survives the exploding dirigible but does Krieghund? I guess we'll have to keep reading!

As for Invaders 7, 8, 9 I kinda like the covers. They all look similar with a central figure or two with the other figures in the background swooping in. Not to get too far ahead but if you look at the covers for 2, 3 (sort of), 4, 6, 10, 11..they all seem to follow the same pattern. 

Thanks for playing catch-up, Mark.
There's so much more to come...!

Okay, read Invaders 7 & 8.

Sir Steel and the Silver Squire, Union Jack and the Crimson Cavalier debuted in Invaders 7. So these are Roy Thomas creations? I think Roy's aim was to tell everybody that costumed heroes have always been in abundance throughout time in the MU. 

There's a reference to Piccadilly Circus, which isn't a true circus. It's essentially London's version of New York's Times Square. When I first read this book when I was a kid I did think that it was an actual circus that they were on their way to see, which struck me as odd. Now it makes more sense.

I also liked the reference to Bucky wondering why Steve Rogers and James Barnes haven't been court-martialed by the military because they've been in uniform so much. Cap says that he'll let Bucky in on that secret one day. We now know that the Army commanders KNEW that Steve was Cap and that whole story.

The Sub-Mariner getting upset about the damage his precious plane received was classic. What, he didn't have the money to fix it? You're flying it around during WAR, you moron!

Invaders 8 had Baron Blood coming up with some rather sophisticated decoys which seemed out of sort for 1942.

The Invaders goes back to monthly with issue 8 and we get Frank Springer's inks instead of Vinnie Colletta's. I think I liked Vinnie's better.

INVADERS #10 (11/76)
.” The WRATH of the REAPER!”
Writer/editor Roy Thomas. Artists – Frank Robibins & Frank Springer

3page framing sequence –

“Captain America Battles The Reaper! (The man the law couldn’t touch!) - reprinted from Captain America Comics #22 (01/43) artwork by Al Avison & Al Gabrielle – 15 page main feature.

As the Invaders title switched back to monthy the main tale for this issue was bumped back to # 11 with a taster / three page framing sequence of our heroes racing to get the injured Jaqueline Falsworth to a hospital – along with her now crippled father Union Jack who mentions the ‘Reaper’ and send Cap reminiscing about an old enemy of his and Buckys with that name….for no other reason than that it seems…

The 1943 Cap tale is all very brash and fast moving – the Reaper being a Nazi appealing to the masses to revolt without breaking any laws himself – and eventually revealed as a spy and electrocuted on a train track.

Cap and Bucky save the day but still get to have to peel potatoes and mop the floors as they are misunderstood by their drill sgt. –

Why the Reaper wears a dress and wields a scythe is not explained.!

The most curious point is that the Reaper IS drawn on the cover of this issue – but – he has a hood up and does not show his beard where as in the reprint he never wears a hood and has a very distinctive long beard – so who did Jack Kirby think he was drawing on the cover…??

So not much to say about this Invaders issue – other than to comment on the framing sequence actually having some of the continuing story was a pleasure to see – in this era most times Marvel were forced to reprint an issue instead of the new stuff – they never fitted very well and had nothing but a ‘sorry’ blurb on the letters page to explain the lack of original story. I guarentee everyone has their pet hated reprint issue – (I’d go for Amazing Adventures #12 Beast tale replacing Avengers 136 – off the top of my head.!) – and although this story had nothing to do with the main Invaders plot – regardless how Cap tried to squeeze it in – at least the main story was addressed.

So – moving straight on – next will be Invaders #11 – “Night of the Blue bullet!”

Ah, yes, the Dreaded Deadline Doom, I remember it well.

It's actually surprising that Marvel reprinted a non Simon & Kirby Golden Age Cap story. I think that's all they did in the late 60s.

Mark mentioned that The Invaders went monthly with #8. That's probably why we have this filler but at least they reprinted something really old.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service