I thought this might be a nice companion thread to "On the chopping block," where we can talk about currently running books that we're thinking of picking up in the middle of their run.

The one that comes to mind for me is Firestorm. Dan Jurgens is taking over with issue 13, and he purportedly is treating it like a first issue. Most of the "international firestorms" storyline is over with -- don't ask me how -- and it's apparently going back to being Ronnie and Jason in high school together, teaming up to be Firestorm. Which is what I wanted to read in the first place, so it's probably a good time to give it a chance.

So, any books you're thinking of hopping on to?

Views: 1355

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Following up, I wound up buying issues 4-6 of Phantom Stranger, but ultimately it failed to grab me. 

But this month sees a new writer for Swamp Thing (and a number of other DC books, including Action Comics, Suicide Squad, and Red Hood & the Outlaws). On Mart Gray's recommendation, I checked out Swamp Thing 19 -- here's what I wrote on his blog:

I met Charles Soule today at the MOCCA Fest in NY, and picked this up from him -- possibly the only DC comic in the entire show -- on your recommendation. (He signed it, and drew a little Swamp Thing on the cover, too!) It's good stuff; I like where it seems to be going, and the tone of the story is just right. (Not too grim, but still a serious adventure with stakes.)

Soule said he's planning to do 1-, 2-, and 3-issue stories, and then move on to the next one, rather than a huge arc. I think that's the way to go, too (and really, it was *that* aspect of Alan Moore's run that pulled me in -- underwater vampires, all right!). I'm looking forward to seeing what this story brings. Swamp Thing might be an ideal book to pick up occasionally, story to story.

I don't regularly get Archie, but I will from time to time if it's doing a story arc that interests me. Right now, it's doing a crossover with Glee, of all things, so I'm in.

It seems it took a while to get it together, because it features the TV show lineup from the first two seasons, before any of the kids graduated McKinley High School.

I will chime in on Archie when I'm interested as well. The whole Kiss thing (with awesome covers by Franco Francavilla), the Occupy Riverdale issue, and the one with the guest appearance by George Takei are all in my collection. I'm not a Glee fan, though, so I'm skipping past this one.

A couple other DC books I'm trying as writers change or for other reasons:

I picked up today's Justice League Dark because there's a Flash guest appearance. Hopefully it's good -- the cover makes it look like fun.

In the next week or two, I plan to pick up Suicide Squad #20, as well. I'm not familiar with the new writer, but the cover's a grabber, and in an interview with Newsarama, the writer referenced the old pies-in-the-face mystery from the Ostrander run... in a way that suggested the book might try to include moments like that in between all the espionage & stuff. So I'm very willing to give this guy a try.

Has anyone here read Locke & Key? I've been wondering whether or not that's a bandwagon worth climbing aboard. It seems to be every comic book podcast's sweet love.

Yep, I've been reading it in collected form all along. Great read, I'd recommend it. They're close to the end of the final arc in the monthlies.

Wandering Sensei: Emeritus said:

Has anyone here read Locke & Key? I've been wondering whether or not that's a bandwagon worth climbing aboard. It seems to be every comic book podcast's sweet love.

It's something I plan to get to, certainly -- once the series is done, I'll probably look into what my trade options are. I've read Hill's novel Horns, though, and I'm currently reading NOS4A2 -- both really good stuff.

Today I've ordered

from Dynamite

Mark Waid's The Green Hornet

Battlestar Galactica

From Image

Jupiter's Legacy

Ten Grand

From IDW

Doomsday.1 (I know several people dislike John Byrne's politics/attitudes but I enjoy his comics)

Suicide Risk

Wandering Sensei: Emeritus said:

I've read the first four or so volumes, and would highly recommend it. I've probably checked out and read volume one three or four times from the library, so when I saw it for half off at C2E2 this weekend, I finally bought it. Now I just have to get the rest....

Also at C2E2, I found a dealer who was selling essentially new comics (i.e. issues as recent as two weeks old) for a dollar a piece, so I picked up the following:
Avengers Assemble #9-11 — The first three issues of Kelly Sue DeConnick's run. Such fun; I am definitely going to add this to my pull list.

X-O Manowar (new series) #1 — Also really good, but the first issue was all set-up, so it doesn't really give me a good feel for what the book is. I think the first trade is only $10, so I'm going to see about getting that from my shop.

Guardians of the Galaxy (new series) #1 — Got this because I thought I would want to come on board to gear up for the Gaiman involvement, but I want it to be the Abnett/Lanning Guardians and it's not, so I think I'll have to pass...

Harbinger Wars #1 — The only Valiant title I'm reading is Archer & Armstrong, and I'm not clear if this is going to cross over. But it's Clayton Henry art (he told me he thought it was the best he's ever done), so I might stick with it.

Fearless Defenders #1-3 — Haven't read these yet; will report back.

Alan: How close to Vernon Hills/Grayslake/Libertyville are you? I will be in that area this weekend and was wondering if there was a spot where I could poke my head in for FCBD sometime on Saturday. Not sure when I won't be coaching a karate tournament, but I'm hoping to hit some spot that late afternoon/evening.

Sorry, I just remembered when I saw you were at C2E2 that you are a Chicagoland guy.

I've been enjoying Fearless Defenders--it's fairly light-hearted, and it's nice to see a female fronted book from either of the big two that isn't focused on fan service.

Of course, that means it's going to be canceled soon.

What's Gaiman got to do with Guardians of the Galaxy?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service