I thought this might be a nice companion thread to "On the chopping block," where we can talk about currently running books that we're thinking of picking up in the middle of their run.

The one that comes to mind for me is Firestorm. Dan Jurgens is taking over with issue 13, and he purportedly is treating it like a first issue. Most of the "international firestorms" storyline is over with -- don't ask me how -- and it's apparently going back to being Ronnie and Jason in high school together, teaming up to be Firestorm. Which is what I wanted to read in the first place, so it's probably a good time to give it a chance.

So, any books you're thinking of hopping on to?

Views: 1360

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I do have to wonder what made DC want to publish Aquaman and the Others. Couldn't they have tried out The Outsiders? The Doom Patrol? I think he would have been perfect for a resurgence of The Forgotten Heroes, especially since DC seems hellbent on playing Aquaman as a joke within the DCNu.

And by the way, I am a huge fan of Captain Marvel, Ms. Marvel, and Ghost Rider. All three have started up just recently, and I decided to stick with them all for the foreseeable future. Great, original stuff from all of those books.

While I think The Others is a pretty lousy name, I'm glad DC's trying something new. I'd rather have the first iteration of the Others than the fourth iteration of the Outsiders. I hope it does well -- as much as people want to see old books back, the more stuff in the new DCU, the better, in my opinion.

I suppose you're right. The Outsiders and the Doom Patrol were new at one time.

I do wish them luck; I just can't see anyone caring about The Others, at least not as they were introduced in the Aquaman title.

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

While I think The Others is a pretty lousy name, I'm glad DC's trying something new. I'd rather have the first iteration of the Others than the fourth iteration of the Outsiders. I hope it does well -- as much as people want to see old books back, the more stuff in the new DCU, the better, in my opinion.

Yeah, I agree it's a really weird horse for them to be backing. It very well might be an unnanounced miniseries, and if they get more than eight issues out of it, they'll be thrilled. At the same time, I've seen it pointed out that the cast is really diverse, so that's great point in its favor, IMO.

I have to say I am on the bandwagon for the new Moon Knight series. This seems to be entirely self-contained, like so many other Warren Ellis-penned series.

Along with this, I have to highly recommend (based on the relaunch) the new Ghost Rider series. Art by Tradd Moore, writing by a newcomer that I like named Felipe Smith makes this one awesome, kinetic book. Highly recommended.

Hey, I'm glad I remembered this thread! Anyways, as some of you may or may not know I help out at my LCS about once or twice a month, so I get to read a lot of comics for free do a lot of market research. Well there has been a series I've been reading there, that I've actually decided to shell out my own hard cash to get it monthly, and this is Curse Words  written by Charles Soule and art by Ryan Browne. It has a very good mix of humor and action. 

Also, if there is ever another Shirtless Bear-Fighter series or one-shot, I am all-in. It was just so ridiculous and over the top that I loved that first miniseries.

I've heard good things about Curse Words from a few people now. I'll have to keep an eye out for it. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service