Even though issues 1 and 2 didn't overly impress me, I was planning on sticking with Flash: Rebirth out of faith that Geoff Johns would ultimately give me a good story. But issue three today convinced me that...yeah, I'm just not digging this book.

At the same time, Wonder Woman and Runaways remain on the verge for me, dependent on a new storyline and a new creative team, respectively.

I guess, given that I have something like three or four titles I want to find a space for, this could be worse news, but I'm disappointed that I'm not enjoying all these titles more.

Views: 7370

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Looks like I'm dropping Adventure Comics for a while (after issue 6). It'll be crossing over with the Superman/Supergirl books for a bit to deal with the Legion story -- and while that's a story I'd really like to read, I can't spend $13-16 bucks a month to do so. I'll buy it in trade, and rejoin the Legion when Levitz takes over.
I'll be dropping Fantastic Four after the next issue, too. Not that I don't like it -- I do, despite the fact that the most recent issue was a dud -- but I'll be perfectly happy waiting for the trade when I can afford it.

Rob
Is anyone reading X-Men Forever? And can they convince me to keep reading it?

I fully confess that I've become so tired of Claremont's writing that I have hard time reading anything he does. But the Tom Grummett art has had me keeping the title this long. But, geez, it's so ... Claremont-y!
Poor DC is taking a hit right now on my list. I'm saying goodbye to:

Batgirl — I like Stephanie Brown, and so wanted to follow this title, but the art and writing never went above "not bad" for me, and that combined with my not particularly liking the design of the new Batgirl costume is enough to decide I can do without this title.

Gotham Sirens — My mind's been warring with itself on this one for months: I really enjoy Paul Dini's take on Bat-villains; I don't really enjoy the gratuitous cheesecakeyness of the art. I finally chose a winner in that battle. Sorry Paul Dini.

Batman: Streets of Gotham (possibly) — See above about Paul Dini, but it worries me that he's already been replaced by guest writers less than a half-dozen issues into this and Gotham Sirens. I passed on the second issue of the Chris Yost fill-in; I'm not sure if I'll be back when Dini returns.

Wonder Woman (possibly) — I'm not really enjoying the Paradise Island politics stuff, and the stories just aren't staying with me. I'm wondering if I can get better bang for my $3/month elsewhere...

It's not all DC, though. I'm also contemplating dropping:

S.W.O.R.D. (possibly) — This is neither fish nor fowl; neither a Marvel cosmic book, nor a Marvel superhero book. It's kind of a hybrid of the two, and that combo could be good, but so far it hasn't quite convinced me. On the plus side for it, their use of Death's Head leaves me entertained; on the minus side, I really don't like the way the artist (whose name escapes me offhand) draws Beast. It looks like they may be going with a backup story wherein Lockheed seeks to rescue Kitty Pryde from the cosmic bullet of doom, though, so that may be worth sticking around for. Maybe.

Angel (possibly) — I just don't know. I guess I'll look at what Willingham offers with his first issue and decide from there.

Captain America (possibly) — I haven't been buying Reborn (I'm waiting for the trade on that one), and I realize I find myself...not particularly missing this title. I mean, it's a good, solid action book, well-written and well-drawn, but...I just don't find myself thinking about it in its absence. At all. Hrm.
I suspect you'll change your mind after reading the Reborn collection. I've read Brubaker's entire run twice (except for the most recent issues, and I've discovered it reads better in collected format rather than monthly installments.
I'm with you, Alan, on Captain America. Reborn is actually convincing me to go ahead and drop it rather than keep on keepin' on. It may be the most boring "event" comic since Millenium...and that's saying something.
Alan M. said:
Poor DC is taking a hit right now on my list. I'm saying goodbye to:

Batman: Streets of Gotham (possibly) — See above about Paul Dini, but it worries me that he's already been replaced by guest writers less than a half-dozen issues into this and Gotham Sirens. I passed on the second issue of the Chris Yost fill-in; I'm not sure if I'll be back when Dini returns.

Same here on that second Yost issue. His characterization of the Huntress completely ignored all of her growth in Birds of Prey, which really irked me. Not to mention the whole "priest turns evil" thing, yet again. Not buying the second Yost issue led me to consider whether I was really enjoying Dini's stories in this series, and the answer was pretty much "No." I still love the Dustin Nguyen art, but not enough to keep paying $4 a month.

I'm the complete opposite on Captain America. I once dropped this title during the first year, immediately regretted it, picked up the three issues I missed, and have enjoyed it ever since, including Reborn.

I haven't put much on the chopping block lately, unless you count first issues that didn't hook me, such as Black Widow: Deadly Origin, or whatever it's called.
Doc Beechler said:
I'm with you, Alan, on Captain America. Reborn is actually convincing me to go ahead and drop it rather than keep on keepin' on. It may be the most boring "event" comic since Millenium...and that's saying something.

I don't think I've gone that far with it, but I know on the new comic's blog posts I've commented a few times about how I don't like this at all. I am sticking with Reborn though it interests me just enough to stay.
Reborn (and the issues leading up to it, and after it) are all trade-waits for me. (And once they're in trade, they'll be Rob-gets-a-job-waits...)
I don't see Captain America: Reborn as an "event"; I see the limited series released while the main title is on hiatus as a sales gimmick. It should be part of the regular series, but I don't blame Brubaker for that. I think the perception of this as a boring "event" is working against my perception that it's a good run of issues in an ongoing story arc.

I Cap, I like X-Men Forever, but I like it for the same reason that's turning you off. I find it nostalgic (it's the only X-title I read, and it's been a long, long time since I've read anything by Claremont), you find it "Claremont-y." And it is that, but it's easily accessable, self-contained and scratches that X-Men itch I feel from time to time. But that's not said to convince you to read it, just an explanation of why I like it.

Just out of curiousity: are you still reading glamorpuss, Cap?
Jeff of Earth-J said:
I don't see Captain America: Reborn as an "event"; I see the limited series released while the main title is on hiatus as a sales gimmick. It should be part of the regular series, but I don't blame Brubaker for that. I think the perception of this as a boring "event" is working against my perception that it's a good run of issues in an ongoing story arc.

Exactly. It was never supposed to be an event; it's really just Captain America #602 and following. I've been enjoying the insight into Steve Rogers as he quantum leaps, especially since I haven't read much of him before Brubaker's run.
Batmatt Beyond said:
Jeff of Earth-J said:

Exactly. It was never supposed to be an event; it's really just Captain America #602 and following. I've been enjoying the insight into Steve Rogers as he quantum leaps, especially since I haven't read much of him before Brubaker's run.

Well it sure seemed like it was supposed to be an event. With the way it was solicited in Previews and the way Marvel was pushing it I don't see how you can say it wasn't suppose to be an event. Putting the regular series on hiatus makes it appear even more so.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service