Even though issues 1 and 2 didn't overly impress me, I was planning on sticking with Flash: Rebirth out of faith that Geoff Johns would ultimately give me a good story. But issue three today convinced me that...yeah, I'm just not digging this book.

At the same time, Wonder Woman and Runaways remain on the verge for me, dependent on a new storyline and a new creative team, respectively.

I guess, given that I have something like three or four titles I want to find a space for, this could be worse news, but I'm disappointed that I'm not enjoying all these titles more.

Views: 7472

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I still say have Aquaman get hit on the head and wake up with his Batman Brave and the Bold personality. At least then he'd...well, have a personality. And he'd be the life of the party! Plus, when any reporter started making fun of him, he'd guffaw and then say something witty and humiliating to the whole group of them. Then he'd offer to buy them all a round of drinks, wherein he would regale them with stories of what he did to some BP execs (sure, call it English Petroleum if you think it will keep the lawyers off your backs, DC) last year.

I swear, the BB&tB Aquaman is the best characterization I've ever seen on that guy.

But doesn't Johns also write the Aquaman series? Is he also a big joke in his own comic?

According to the public, yes. The first issue had Aquaman going into a restaurant and the guy sitting behind him is a blogger who asks Aquaman what it feels like to be the super-hero world's biggest joke. Seriously.

Travis Herrick said:

But doesn't Johns also write the Aquaman series? Is he also a big joke in his own comic?

Wandering Sensei said:

I still say have Aquaman get hit on the head and wake up with his Batman Brave and the Bold personality. At least then he'd...well, have a personality. And he'd be the life of the party! Plus, when any reporter started making fun of him, he'd guffaw and then say something witty and humiliating to the whole group of them. Then he'd offer to buy them all a round of drinks, wherein he would regale them with stories of what he did to some BP execs (sure, call it English Petroleum if you think it will keep the lawyers off your backs, DC) last year.

I swear, the BB&tB Aquaman is the best characterization I've ever seen on that guy.

"We shall call this adventure 'The Adventure of the Men Who Ate an Oil Spill!'"

I always assumed at least a small connection between the surprise sustained success of Wolfman/Perez' New Teen Titans, and the fact that the characters constantly referred to themselves as 'the best there is.' A message like that filters into the reader's attitude toward the comic, and I gave Wolfman credit for a shrewd image-enhancing tactic. If there's anything to that, then I can't imagine that labeling a character as a joke is going to help his popularity.

I'm done with Batwoman.  Yes, it's pretty, but the story's not doing it for me, and that's what's really important.

Figserello said:

The world in general never had any problem with Aquaman, any more than it has with people who wear their underwear outside their trousers, or a woman in a one-piece bikini who flies an invisible plane. So all that Johns is reflecting as a 'real world attitude' is the attitude of deeply humour-deficient fanboys.

I don't think that's true, actually. I'd wager that a lot of John Q. Public people (at least in America) think of one of two things when they hear "Aquaman":

1. The State's Superfriends sketch; more specifically the line "And Aquaman, you...go talk to some fish!"
  2. The "serious" Aquaman movie that Vincent Chase was working on in Entourage

NPR even had a post on their pop culture blog a few years ago about how making fun of Aquaman is getting old.

As far as Aquaman goes, I like his series. I like the mysteries surrounding Atlantis and Aquaman. Aquaman himself is kinda bland. The real star is Mera. She is a well rounded character and steals the show from her hubby everytime she's featured.

As far as my chopping block I have a few. I'm picking up a lot of monthly titles. I enjoy most of them but I'm so far behind in reading them. I need to limit my stack to what I really, really like.

Flash- I love the art but I haven't really connected with the story so far. I like the character but I think for now I'm dropping it.

Secret- This is a new one by Jonathan Hickman. I've only read the first issue and it was decent but haven't read the second. I figure I can pick this one up in trade if I ever have a desire to see how it ends.

Manhattan Projects- Another one by Hickman. I loved the first issue but since then I've gotten bored with it. It's a little too quirky for me and I haven't connected with the characters yet.

There's a few I'm on the fence about:

Justice League- I liked the first arc. Since then It's been some one shots that aren't exactly about the League. The newest arc is interesting though. The art by Jim Lee is keeping me on board for now.

Animal Man- There's times I love this book other times it's merely ok. Not sure how long they can keep on this rot story line.

Uncanny X-men- While a few issues have been good, this book is the duller of the two big X books. While Wolverine & the X-men is a lot of fun, Uncanny is kind of a downer. It's ending in October so I may just hold on and see it through.

Ultimate Spider-man- While it's a pretty good comic, nothing much has really happened. After the ending of the last issue though, I may stick around to see where it's going from there.

Alan M. said:

Figserello said:

The world in general never had any problem with Aquaman, any more than it has with people who wear their underwear outside their trousers, or a woman in a one-piece bikini who flies an invisible plane. So all that Johns is reflecting as a 'real world attitude' is the attitude of deeply humour-deficient fanboys.

I don't think that's true, actually. I'd wager that a lot of John Q. Public people (at least in America) think of one of two things when they hear "Aquaman":

1. The State's Superfriends sketch; more specifically the line "And Aquaman, you...go talk to some fish!"
  2. The "serious" Aquaman movie that Vincent Chase was working on in Entourage

NPR even had a post on their pop culture blog a few years ago about how making fun of Aquaman is getting old.

lol @ Aquaman.

It's still strange to see a writer expending such energy in taking the views of ironic hipsters as his starting point for the characterisation of a hero. That's building on very shaky sand. As I say, it makes Aquaman in-universe a weirdly self-obsessed narcissistic 'hero'. Why would a true hero care what bad-mannered basement-dwelling bloggers think of him?

Why would serious journalists snigger in the face of such a powerful player in their world?

Why is Johns erecting such barriers to his readers' enjoyment of his stories? Why is he apologising for writing a superhero story? Apologising to ironic hipsters at that?

Like they'd "accept" his "apology" and "dig" his "comic".

It's usually rare for me to put something on the chopping block; I like to stick with a title until it ends. (I've been with Hellblazer since issue 1, baby!) But I'm dissatisfied with Fairest, and Fables is turning into a chore to read. 

Wow.. I'm not happy with Fairest either, and am dropping it once this story's over. (Or possibly the done-in-one follow up, since it'll apparently be in the same trade paperback). But these last two issue of Fables have actually been my favorites since maybe issue 100. I wasn't very interested in the cubs... but last month's issue and this week's have had elements of flat-out horror in them that have really impressed me. 

Rob Staeger said:

Wow.. I'm not happy with Fairest either, and am dropping it once this story's over. (Or possibly the done-in-one follow up, since it'll apparently be in the same trade paperback). But these last two issue of Fables have actually been my favorites since maybe issue 100. I wasn't very interested in the cubs... but last month's issue and this week's have had elements of flat-out horror in them that have really impressed me.

Oh, the horror in Fables isn't the problem for me ... it's that the pace is dragging, both for the lead story and the backup story. We're six issues in, with no end in sight -- and I believe most continued stories ought to be four issues, six at the most. Longer than that, the story ought to be really, really compelling ... and this one isn't.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service