Even though issues 1 and 2 didn't overly impress me, I was planning on sticking with Flash: Rebirth out of faith that Geoff Johns would ultimately give me a good story. But issue three today convinced me that...yeah, I'm just not digging this book.

At the same time, Wonder Woman and Runaways remain on the verge for me, dependent on a new storyline and a new creative team, respectively.

I guess, given that I have something like three or four titles I want to find a space for, this could be worse news, but I'm disappointed that I'm not enjoying all these titles more.

Views: 7356

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm actually considering picking up JL Dark because of Trinity War. The idea of John Constantine having to contend with the Lasso of Truth seems like something I don't want to miss.

Border Mutt, I see the solicitations for both Superman Unchained and Superman Batman list them at 32 pages, but Unchained also lists a backup story. I suspect at least in its case, 32 pages is a type, and it's really a 40-page book. 

Johnny's girlfriend.  Sure, they were only supposed to be gone about 4 minutes, but all the others came up with reasonable replacements.  Johnny was dating a pop star and asked her.

I think  there's been some good stuff so far--Jen and Wyatt's date was a scream=--but it has been inconsistent.

Kirk G said:

I didn't know who the chick in the Thing suit was, and it wasn't explained...

Border Mutt, I see the solicitations for both Superman Unchained and Superman Batman list them at 32 pages, but Unchained also lists a backup story. I suspect at least in its case, 32 pages is a type, and it's really a 40-page book.

I might give Superman Unchained a chance then... have to wait and see if it is a typo.  I opted out of most of the Marvel Now books that looked interesting to me based on the arrogance of the price point.  I really hope DC doesn't get me opting out of most of their new comics.

I agree; Marvel is publishing some really good books right now, but between their $3.99 price point and their accelerated schedule, I never take a chance on them. I simply can't predict what it's going to cost me. DC will spring some surprises on me (crossovers, annuals) but in general, I know I'm getting an issue a month, at $2.99 for a regular-size book.

My jury still is out on most of the Marvel NOW! books though I do enjoy many of them and for the first time in my life, I am seriously contemplating dropping the majority of DC's books. I'm just not enjoying the DCnU but then again, I don't think that I'm supposed to.

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

I agree; Marvel is publishing some really good books right now, but between their $3.99 price point and their accelerated schedule, I never take a chance on them. I simply can't predict what it's going to cost me.

I actually ran the math on this for me, and over the past year and a half, Marvel on average double-shipped four titles I collect per month. So I just budget in four "double-ships" into my monthly buys, and if it goes under, that gives me room to try something new. Win-win.

To the topic of this thread, I recently dropped Action Comics because it was a title I was buying for the creators, not the character; Animal Man and Swamp Thing because Rotworld wore me down, and tonally the books were bleaker than I was really enjoying; and Indestructible Hulk and Uncanny Avengers because, while they were okay, I wasn't particularly finding myself NEEDING to read more.

Uncanny X-Men
I keep almost dropping, but the Bachalo art always brings me back. And Wolverine & the X-Men has been waning for me: neither the last two storylines (Frankenstein's circus, and Dog in the Savage Land) nor the art that accompanies them really grabbed me. Still, for that book, the goodwill Jason Aaron built in the first 20 or so issues is enough that I'm not bailing yet...

And Saucer Country I'm dropping on account of its last issue comes out this Wednesday. :(

That's pretty much why I went to trades. Trades feature usually 5 to 6 issues so if I bought the issues seperately, that's $20 to $24. I can get the trade for half that or less and I'm the type of person that doesn't need to read the story immediately upon publication. I can wait.

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

I agree; Marvel is publishing some really good books right now, but between their $3.99 price point and their accelerated schedule, I never take a chance on them. I simply can't predict what it's going to cost me. DC will spring some surprises on me (crossovers, annuals) but in general, I know I'm getting an issue a month, at $2.99 for a regular-size book.

I agree; Marvel is publishing some really good books right now, but between their $3.99 price point and their accelerated schedule, I never take a chance on them.

Exactly, that is something I've talked about a few times before. Marvel just makes it so hard for me to pick up any new series from them because of this practice. Sometimes they double ship a new series on its first 2 issues. Since I order from Previews, I am then having to buy 3 $4 books sight unseen before I even get a chance to drop it if I don't like it.

Fantastic Four and FF have both lot my interest. Not really wanting to continue with either. Sorry, Mr. Fraction.

Which issue was that?  Maybe I'll pick it up as a back issue...

Randy Jackson said:

Johnny's girlfriend.  Sure, they were only supposed to be gone about 4 minutes, but all the others came up with reasonable replacements.  Johnny was dating a pop star and asked her.

I think  there's been some good stuff so far--Jen and Wyatt's date was a scream=--but it has been inconsistent.

Kirk G said:

I didn't know who the chick in the Thing suit was, and it wasn't explained...

While I'm sort of enjoying Wonder Woman the story is just moving, moving.... moooooovvvvvviiiiiinnnnnggggg too slowly for me. It picks up a bit here and there, but... I keep being reminded of the Peanuts strip where Snoopy decided to read War and Peace one word at a time.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service