Even though issues 1 and 2 didn't overly impress me, I was planning on sticking with Flash: Rebirth out of faith that Geoff Johns would ultimately give me a good story. But issue three today convinced me that...yeah, I'm just not digging this book.

At the same time, Wonder Woman and Runaways remain on the verge for me, dependent on a new storyline and a new creative team, respectively.

I guess, given that I have something like three or four titles I want to find a space for, this could be worse news, but I'm disappointed that I'm not enjoying all these titles more.

Views: 5535

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Jessica Jones is wearing out its welcome with me. Bizarre complaint, I know, but it's just too...Bendis.

I think I'm at a point where I need to trim a few titles. My regular comics have been growing and growing, and I need to pull back a bit. 

Some of it will be just letting stories or titles end, and then not picking up the next one. So when Deathstroke goes monthly after "The Lazarus Contract," I might not be joining it. Definitely won't be, if Priest isn't writing it. 

I picked up the first issue of American Gods, and it's very good -- but I'm rereading the novel right now, and it just feels redundant. I'll probably watch the show, though, if Kathy & I bite the bullet and subscribe to Starz for the duration.

Trinity is getting the Ax. Mostly the book has been perfectly fine (though this most recent issue was an overblown bore), but without Manapul it just doesn't have the appeal to me. Frankly, while I think his stories are decent, I'd like to see him paired up with a stronger writer again -- so long as that writer gives him room for his visual flourishes. 

Future Quest is apparently coming back after it's opening 12-issue arc, but I'm inclined to let the next one sit on the shelf. It's fun, but it's mostly scratching a nostalgia itch of maybe a generation (or half-generation) before me. 

I think I'll wait for a digital sale to pick up more issues of Super Sons, which I'm enjoying. Cave Carson is getting the ax, too, I think -- though there were two lines in this week's issue that really made me smile. Both Justice League titles are on thin ice with me, too. I think the plotting of JLA is sharper, but I hate the Extremists...and I simply think Bryan Hitch isn't up to the task of making each Justice League issue feel satisfying on its own. I'll ride out this "Timeless" story and see where it goes.

I'm sure some other titles might take their place here and there. I understand Supergirl might start dealing with the Saturn Girl mystery soon... in which case I'll probably pick that up. But my pull list is growing like kudzu, and something has to give.

And yeah, today's Justice League of America -- so monologue-y! -- convinced me not to even bother finishing up the story. It was pretty much the worst DC comic I've read since Rebirth. Just lousy, soulless superhero claptrap. Steve Orlando is capable of much better.

I am going to take the leap from Marvel monthly titles to Marvel Unlimited. I tend to have an ever-present mountain of unread comics already. The last straw was when Marvel stopped including the digital copy of the actual comic you had bought. I'm not going to mind waiting six months!

I recently dropped all f the Archie titles. Oddly (and I know this is a bad reason), I made this decision based on the 10 minutes of Riverdale that I saw. I think I had planned to continue the Mark Waid one, but when the last issue shipped I forgot. If I'm ever in the mood to read Archie, I have several volumes of archives I haven't read yet.

Yesterday I decided to drop ROM.

Most of my Archie books have fallen by the wayside, too -- Afterlife and Sabrina come out so rarely that they don't make a ripple in my budget, I somehow lost track of The Black Hood when it renumbered, and i quietly dropped Jughead a while ago. (Happy to read more issues of it, but don't need to buy it regularly.) And Josie and the Pussycats never clicked with me, so I only bought the first issue.

I'll still read Betty & Veronica when a new issue arrives (Hughes's art counts for a lot, and his AMAZING "gazpacho tactics" joke in issue 1 earned him a lot of points as a writer with me.) And I'm still reading the Waid Archie title. 

By the way, avoid Jughead: The Hunger if you haven't already bought it. It's really a weak-tea imitation of Afterlife, as the artist & colorist tries their best to ape Francavilla's style, but there's just not enough in Frank Tieri's script to make it clever or fun enough to justify the $5 cover price. I wish I'd noticed the price before I bought it; I'd have left it on the shelf. (It's set up so that it can continue if sales warrant it, but on the whole it dilutes the otherwise terrific Archie horror line.)

D'oh! I just bought this today, and no, I did not look at the price. Oh well...might as well read it now.

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

By the way, avoid Jughead: The Hunger if you haven't already bought it. It's really a weak-tea imitation of Afterlife, as the artist & colorist tries their best to ape Francavilla's style, but there's just not enough in Frank Tieri's script to make it clever or fun enough to justify the $5 cover price. I wish I'd noticed the price before I bought it; I'd have left it on the shelf. (It's set up so that it can continue if sales warrant it, but on the whole it dilutes the otherwise terrific Archie horror line.)

Well...I hope you like it more than I did. It's not horrible or anything -- it just feels like a space-filler and a cash grab to me. I think I would've been better off just buying a hamburger and thinking about Jughead as I ate it.

I think I did like it more than you did, somewhat. Yes, it seems to be trying to fill in the inexplicable gap between issues of Afterlife With Archie and Sabrina, but I thought it looked good and the story was decent. When I bought it, I thought it was the story of Jughead just after he turned into a zombie in Afterlife, and honestly, it wasn't until I was about halfway through it that I realized this is yet another separate reality.

When I discovered that, I have to admit I was disappointed by the fact that it was thrown together so quickly about the connection with Betty's family, but I guess it was maybe just because Frank Tieri knew that this was potentially just a one-shot that may not go any further. Michael Walsh's art is really nice, I think, and falls in line very well with Francesco Francavilla and Robert Hack in the other titles.

Oh, good -- I'm glad you enjoyed it!

The scene with Jughead eating that massive all-you-can-eat sandwich was my favorite part of it. I guess the thing that disappointed me the most is the Walsh art -- it looked fine, but I'd have much rather he'd used a different style to make it more distinct from the other two horror titles. As it is, it looked too much like Afterlife that your confusion is completely understandable (and possibly intentional). If they DO spin it off, I think that art style will do it no favors -- this story should have its own identity, like the other two do.

This is absolutely true. I do believe it's why I assumed it was within the same world.

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

As it is, it looked too much like Afterlife that your confusion is completely understandable (and possibly intentional).

Well, Priest will still be writing Deathstroke as a monthly, so I'll still likely be buying it. 

There's a chance I'll pull back from Wonder Woman for a few issues, during the 5-issue interim between Rucka and the next permanent writer. I'll give the fill-in team a chance, though, and hope they hook me. (Either way, I'll be back to try out the new team).

I think this week's "Timeless" wrapup is my last issue of Justice League until Bryan Hitch is off the writing chores. His stories just never seem to cohere for me. There's stuff I like in them, but I need to be paying discount prices for these. Some Comixology sale in the future, most likely. (And incidentally, is the girl Molly, who's the catalyst for this adventure, supposed to be Molly from Marvel's Runaways? I haven't read that book in ages, but it looks to me like she's drawn exactly like her.)

In indie drops, I'm letting go of Jay Faerber's Copperhead, which I was enthusiastic about before its hiatus, and am less so after waiting a couple years for an issue. (And there's a new artist, whose work is not as interesting or detailed, IMO.)

And Dark Horse Presents was just cancelled! I didn't love every issue, but they were always worth reading, just for the exposure to new talents, if nothing else. I'll be sorry to see it go. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service