Even though issues 1 and 2 didn't overly impress me, I was planning on sticking with Flash: Rebirth out of faith that Geoff Johns would ultimately give me a good story. But issue three today convinced me that...yeah, I'm just not digging this book.

At the same time, Wonder Woman and Runaways remain on the verge for me, dependent on a new storyline and a new creative team, respectively.

I guess, given that I have something like three or four titles I want to find a space for, this could be worse news, but I'm disappointed that I'm not enjoying all these titles more.

Views: 5535

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

JLA isn't quite clicking for me yet, but I'm not ready to give up on it (the past few issues were an improvement, and I'm enjoying the Suicide Squad crossover; I like to see the League fight villains -- we've had a few years of them fighting amorphous philosophical threats). Flash and Titans I like -- I feel like Flash has been finding its feet post-Godspeed, and Titans has me hooked with the mystery of Wally. 

The Batman and Superman parts of the DCU are the parts I generally avoid, but for now they seem like the absolute strongest. I'd rate the books Superman, Detective, Batman, Action, in that order -- though Batman has been getting better and better lately, and might have overtaken Detective.

Does anyone know if these are still scheduled and/or anything about them or the creative teams?

Detective 445 said:

Still waiting on JSA and Legion and hoping those will be good.

I really had high hopes for Blue Beetle because Ted Kord came back, but so far he hasn't been the Blue Beetle. If I hear that's changed, I may check it out again.

Richard Mantle said:

Does anyone know if these are still scheduled and/or anything about them or the creative teams?

Detective 445 said:

Still waiting on JSA and Legion and hoping those will be good.

It looks like some groundwork for a new JSA is being laid in Earth 2 Society as that series comes to an end.

Legion groundwork has been laid in a scene in Batman and now in Justice League/Suicide Squad.

I really doubt that's going to happen. DC is very committed to Jaime Reyes as Blue Beetle, although there may be some flashbacks.

Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man said:

I really had high hopes for Blue Beetle because Ted Kord came back, but so far he hasn't been the Blue Beetle. If I hear that's changed, I may check it out again.

I’ve posted both of these here recently, but I’ve since reevaluated each.

THUNDERBOLTS: I had already come to the conclusion to drop this title at the conclusion of the current story. I see now that Marvel is promoting #10 as the 20th anniversary issue. That will probably be the end of the current story anyway, but if it’s not, if the current story ends in #9, I’ll buy #10 anyway, which features a story by the original creative team of Kurt Busiek and Mark Bagley.

AVENGERS: I expected the first story to end with issue #6, but #3 came to a soft ending. They’ve defeated the immediate threat, but Captain America has an idea to end it once and for all. Previously I stated that the artist’s style is ill-suited for a super-hero comic. #3 has served only to reinforce that opinion. I read the entire issue trying to imagine what it would have looked like if drawn by John Buscema… or Sal Buscema… or John Byrne… or…

I'm sticking with it because I'm enjoying the stories, but the art isn't quite to my liking either. It's not bad, but IMO it's not working for a superhero comic.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

AVENGERS: I expected the first story to end with issue #6, but #3 came to a soft ending. They’ve defeated the immediate threat, but Captain America has an idea to end it once and for all. Previously I stated that the artist’s style is ill-suited for a super-hero comic. #3 has served only to reinforce that opinion. I read the entire issue trying to imagine what it would have looked like if drawn by John Buscema… or Sal Buscema… or John Byrne… or…

Oh, I was also going to say I'll likely buy the next issue because the cover is so cool.

I like that the line-up is an updated version of the Founders:

Instead of Ant-Man we have the new Spider-Man (Miles Morales)

Instead of Wasp we have the new Wasp (Nadia)

Instead of Thor we have female Thor (Jane Foster)

Instead of Hulk we have Hercules

Instead of Iron Man we have Vision (a synthetic man)

Instead of Captain America we have the new Captain America (Sam Wilson)

Also, as I think I mentioned, I had been following Hercules and Vision's solo titles.

I decided to drop all these titles that shipped today, on the spur of the moment, whether the story was completed or not.

Captain Kid
Inhumans vs. X-Men
Scooby Apocalypse
Supergirl

Wednesdays are good "choppingblock" days.

I don’t buy any comics I don’t enjoy (and haven’t for several years now), but there are some I like more than others, let’s call them “A” series and “B” series. After some thought about why I’ve been falling so far behind on my current series lately, I think I’ve discovered why. Let’s say every week I buy 10 comics, five “A” titles and five “B” titles. I read the “A” titles immediately, but I’m not in such a hurry to get to the “B” ones. Sometimes I haven’t even gotten to them by the Wednesday of the following week, when I buy five more “A” and “B” titles. Soon I have 10 unread “B” titles, then 15, then 20.

I am now in the midst of a concentrated effort to drop all of my “B” titles.

I'm thinking of dropping the "Superwoman" book. It's OK, but not great.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service