Even though issues 1 and 2 didn't overly impress me, I was planning on sticking with Flash: Rebirth out of faith that Geoff Johns would ultimately give me a good story. But issue three today convinced me that...yeah, I'm just not digging this book.

At the same time, Wonder Woman and Runaways remain on the verge for me, dependent on a new storyline and a new creative team, respectively.

I guess, given that I have something like three or four titles I want to find a space for, this could be worse news, but I'm disappointed that I'm not enjoying all these titles more.

Views: 5861

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I find myself buying a lot of Image #1's, seeing if I like them, and then tradewaiting if I do. I almost feel bad about this, but then I know that they get a lot of their money (or the owners do) from their trade sales.

If it's Boom, I tend to read it by issue, because their trade prices aren't that much different from their single issue sales, honestly. Same goes for IDW.

I only read a handful of DC comic books anymore, and now I find myself dropping Superman, Action Comics, and Super Sons. Maybe one day I'll go back and pick these up in trade (or digitally), but for now, I just have too many issues piled up without reading them.

I might be dropping Deathstroke. I just read the first issue of the new direction, and the penciller, Diogenes Neves, really doesn't do it for me. The plot seems as twisty-turny as ever (with Slade now helming a new team of heroes), but without decent "acting" to carry the character moments, the subterfuge just doesn't have much weight. 

Plus, the issue starts out with a 6-page action sequence featuring characters we haven't seen before (only one of which survives), and a page transition that makes no sense (on one page, a character is hiding a little knife behind her back; on the next page she leaps up with two guns in her hand, despite there being nowhere to conceal those guns in her skimpy outfit). Anyway, that's 30% of the book that's ameturishly staged and with no discernible effect on the rest of the plot. I trust that Priest will tie it in soon, but considering my other caveats, it's just one more thing to make me feel like I'm not getting my money's worth out of this title.

I like this book, and will probably pick it up in trade later (esp. if I can get it cheap), but if I'm going to trim the fat off my pull list, this might be a good place to start. 

I've begun to notice a trend with Brian K. Vaughan's books. They start out interesting and fascinating, but then seem to start treading water. This is the reason I dropped Saga and also the reason I may end up dropping Paper Girls. The stories just seem to stop moving forward.

Not sure if this is the right/best thread to put this but ...

I'm becoming concerned regarding marvel's upcoming Legacy/Generations output.

I had hoped they were seeing the error of their ways - diluting their product beyond all recognition - and were finally listening to their customer/ their market and were about to pull back to the characters and titles we all loved and lost.

BUT - the more recent stuff I hear/read seems to be continuing Marvel 'hoping' everyone will see - what they appear to believe - that these 'new/diverse' versions of their beloved franchises are worthy of buyers.

I did not want Legacy/Generations to be one-shots where the old guard accept and endorse the new versions - that will not satisfy the Marvel fan/collector in me .

I want my marvel heroes back.

I fear I'm not going to get them.

I'm dropping Superwoman, it just wasn't holding my interest.

It seems like you'll be getting Steve Rogers back as Captain America (and not evil), Bruce Banner back as the Hulk, Sam Wilson back as Falcon, and Tony Stark (eventually) back as Iron Man (the first issue of Legacy begins a rescue mission for him that will probably culminate in issue 600). Plus the Thing is coming back in Marvel Two-In-One. 

I don't think the newer & diverse characters are going to be ignored though. But it seems like they'll be stepping back from the leads of the traditional core titles, in large part, while keeping their own titles (Champions, Ms. Marvel, Squirrel Girl, Moon Girl, etc.)



Richard Mantle said:

Not sure if this is the right/best thread to put this but ...

I'm becoming concerned regarding marvel's upcoming Legacy/Generations output.

I had hoped they were seeing the error of their ways - diluting their product beyond all recognition - and were finally listening to their customer/ their market and were about to pull back to the characters and titles we all loved and lost.

BUT - the more recent stuff I hear/read seems to be continuing Marvel 'hoping' everyone will see - what they appear to believe - that these 'new/diverse' versions of their beloved franchises are worthy of buyers.

I did not want Legacy/Generations to be one-shots where the old guard accept and endorse the new versions - that will not satisfy the Marvel fan/collector in me .

I want my marvel heroes back.

I fear I'm not going to get them.

If that's true then I welcome it.
Now if we could only get a good Avengers title and the Original Vision back......

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

It seems like you'll be getting Steve Rogers back as Captain America (and not evil), Bruce Banner back as the Hulk, Sam Wilson back as Falcon, and Tony Stark (eventually) back as Iron Man (the first issue of Legacy begins a rescue mission for him that will probably culminate in issue 600). Plus the Thing is coming back in Marvel Two-In-One. 

I don't think the newer & diverse characters are going to be ignored though. But it seems like they'll be stepping back from the leads of the traditional core titles, in large part, while keeping their own titles (Champions, Ms. Marvel, Squirrel Girl, Moon Girl,

Actually, I think most of the Avengers titles have been pretty good. I can't say anything about Uncanny, but US Avengers and Avengers have been solid--even given that their momentum is being derailed by Secret Empire...

Richard Mantle said:

If that's true then I welcome it.
Now if we could only get a good Avengers title and the Original Vision back......

I get the feeling that Legacy is mainly concerned with reminding readers that these characters used to be heroes.

Richard Mantle said:

Not sure if this is the right/best thread to put this but ...

I'm becoming concerned regarding marvel's upcoming Legacy/Generations output.

I had hoped they were seeing the error of their ways - diluting their product beyond all recognition - and were finally listening to their customer/ their market and were about to pull back to the characters and titles we all loved and lost.

BUT - the more recent stuff I hear/read seems to be continuing Marvel 'hoping' everyone will see - what they appear to believe - that these 'new/diverse' versions of their beloved franchises are worthy of buyers.

I did not want Legacy/Generations to be one-shots where the old guard accept and endorse the new versions - that will not satisfy the Marvel fan/collector in me .

I want my marvel heroes back.

I fear I'm not going to get them.

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

I don't think the newer & diverse characters are going to be ignored though. But it seems like they'll be stepping back from the leads of the traditional core titles, in large part, while keeping their own titles (Champions, Ms. Marvel, Squirrel Girl, Moon Girl, etc.)

The people inhabiting the versions of the classic characters, if well-liked, could be used as new heroes. No reason to dump them. Falcon already has a fall-back position. The others could "coincidentally" have some experience that causes them to become different heroes.

Right now, I am in the middle of my six month wait to transfer over to Marvel Unlimited. The more I look, though, the more I am thinking I will just get it for the historical stuff--the Spider-Man stuff I haven't read, the Avengers tales I would love to read, the Annihilations, the Marvel Two-In-Ones, and the Fantastic Four issues I've always heard about but haven't had the chance to read.

Richard Willis said:

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

I don't think the newer & diverse characters are going to be ignored though. But it seems like they'll be stepping back from the leads of the traditional core titles, in large part, while keeping their own titles (Champions, Ms. Marvel, Squirrel Girl, Moon Girl, etc.)

The people inhabiting the versions of the classic characters, if well-liked, could be used as new heroes. No reason to dump them. Falcon already has a fall-back position. The others could "coincidentally" have some experience that causes them to become different heroes.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service