Even though issues 1 and 2 didn't overly impress me, I was planning on sticking with Flash: Rebirth out of faith that Geoff Johns would ultimately give me a good story. But issue three today convinced me that...yeah, I'm just not digging this book.

At the same time, Wonder Woman and Runaways remain on the verge for me, dependent on a new storyline and a new creative team, respectively.

I guess, given that I have something like three or four titles I want to find a space for, this could be worse news, but I'm disappointed that I'm not enjoying all these titles more.

Views: 6585

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hmmm.. I'm enjoying the series, but I see where you're coming from. The Tynion interludes were planned from the start, I believe -- they're going to appear every 5 issues (although the second one will be in issue 8 -- then continuing with 13, 18, etc.). 

Meanwhile, I'm taking the opportunity of my shop's closing to definitely drop Detective Comics. I didn't pick up the last two issues of the Outsiders arc (and won't be picking up the Outsiders comic) because the writer hasn't convinced me I'd enjoy it (Even though I really like Black Lightning and Katana). Next up in Tec is a James Robinson arc, which I'll probably enjoy...and will be happy to buy it collected in digital, on sale sometime down the line. After that is apparently Peter Tomasi coming back to the Bat...and we'll see about that when the time comes. 

I almost thought about picking this up with the latest issue when I noticed Geo-Force and, I believe, Looker in the book. Still, it didn't look like a version of either one which I'm familiar with. This was just after a flip-through; I didn't buy it. It looks like a big departure from the Outsiders I remember.

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

Meanwhile, I'm taking the opportunity of my shop's closing to definitely drop Detective Comics. I didn't pick up the last two issues of the Outsiders arc (and won't be picking up the Outsiders comic) because the writer hasn't convinced me I'd enjoy it (Even though I really like Black Lightning and Katana). Next up in Tec is a James Robinson arc, which I'll probably enjoy...and will be happy to buy it collected in digital, on sale sometime down the line. After that is apparently Peter Tomasi coming back to the Bat...and we'll see about that when the time comes. 

I'm dropping The Unexpected. I think Steve Orlando is one of those writers whose work I want to like more than I actually do. (Jeff Lemire is another.) But The Unexpected is a convoluted mess, and next issue's guest star, Hawkman, doesn't do much for me, and neither does the villain (Onimar Synn) or the top-level villain (the just revealed Mandrakk, an evil abstraction created by Grant Morrison for Final Crisis. This book feels heavy as lead.

On the other hand, I think I've come around on the New Challengers...especially since there's only two more issues of that left (it was retroactively made into a miniseries.) The characters are clear, and often likeable. The overarching plot is still a mystery, but it doesn't seem like a wild goose chase. 

The Metal spin-offs didn't last long with me, as much as I considered them a great new important part of the DCU. I have stuck with Silencer, and I bought a recent issue of Sideways because the Seven Soldiers were an important part of it, but these books just have not given me much cause to stick with them, many of them not even past one issue. Oh, and I often forget that The Terrifics was a part of this also. I've kind of stuck with that one.

Part of it is that I realized that the "creative teams" only included a writer, with an issue-by-issue rotating series of artists.

As for The Terrifics, I have continued buying this book, but not necessarily reading every issue yet. I am a big fan of Jeff Lemire (whose DC work at first I found plain, but I've noticed an upsurge lately). But Joe Bennett and Dale Eaglesham's work hasn't wowed me. I loved Bennett's work on Deathstroke, and I have never liked any of Dale Eaglesham's work, honestly. The story about Mr. Terrific (eh), Metamorpho (woohoo!), Plastic Man (wish he would be taken seriously at least occasionally), and Phantom Girl (not the real one) is awesome at times, but mostly okay.

Silencer is awesome in a Kill Bill kind of way. She is like Copperhead, and Talia is like The Bride in this story. I find that to be pretty cool.

Silencer is a book I dropped after three issues...but kind of regret it. I'm happy  to see that she's guest-starring in recent issues of Nightwing. 

I'll have a chance to read an issue of Sideways soon, as there's one reprinted in the issue of Teen Titans Giant I just bought.

Did NOT know that! I need to pick those up, it sounds like.

Silencer is a book I dropped after three issues...but kind of regret it. I'm happy  to see that she's guest-starring in recent issues of Nightwing. 

Yeah, it looks like she's in last week's 48 and next week's 49.

I've been trying out some of the latest Vertigo books -- the Sandman Universe sampler, The Dreaming, House of Whispers, and Border Town. The Dreaming is gorgeous -- Bilquis Evely is a major talent -- but it left me cold, so I'm one and done. I liked House of Whispers more (I'm a sucker for a New Orleans setting), and plan to return. Of the bunch, Border Town was the most fun -- it's an entirely new story, and feels like it's built for today, not 20 years ago. 

I'll probably give Books of Magic a one-issue try, but I've no need for a Lucifer revival, having not read the original series. 

After a disappointing first issue, I gave a pass to Fantastic Four #2 this week.

I'm trying The Dreaming and Books of Magic (just to see if there's any Harry Potter influence this time around). I may tradewait the others. 

I've been trying out some of the latest Vertigo books -- the Sandman Universe sampler, The Dreaming, House of Whispers, and Border Town. The Dreaming is gorgeous -- Bilquis Evely is a major talent -- but it left me cold, so I'm one and done. I liked House of Whispers more (I'm a sucker for a New Orleans setting), and plan to return. Of the bunch, Border Town was the most fun -- it's an entirely new story, and feels like it's built for today, not 20 years ago. 

I'll probably give Books of Magic a one-issue try, but I've no need for a Lucifer revival, having not read the original series. 

You really should give the original series a try, Rob. I think it was the best of the Sandman spin-offs by far. I keep meaning to re-read it, especially after reading the recent series.

I might; my wife loved Carey's The Girl with All the Gifts, and I enjoyed My Faith in Frankie. Maybe the next time I'm in the mood for some old-school Vertigo (and Comixology has a sale) I'll give it a try. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2018   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service