Even though issues 1 and 2 didn't overly impress me, I was planning on sticking with Flash: Rebirth out of faith that Geoff Johns would ultimately give me a good story. But issue three today convinced me that...yeah, I'm just not digging this book.

At the same time, Wonder Woman and Runaways remain on the verge for me, dependent on a new storyline and a new creative team, respectively.

I guess, given that I have something like three or four titles I want to find a space for, this could be worse news, but I'm disappointed that I'm not enjoying all these titles more.

Views: 7237

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I recently dropped:

• BOOKS OF MAGIC (Would rather DC put out a Harry Potter book!)
  • SUPERGIRL
  • CATWOMAN (a Bat-less Cat is not that interesting)
  • JUSTICE LEAGUE ODYSSEY (too many JL books!)
  • SHURI (should be with her brother, not apart)
  • UNSTOPPABLE WASP (written not for me!)
  • VENOM (another symbiote explosion coming! NOT AGAIN!)
  • X-FORCE (got it by mistake!)
  • JAMES BOND ORIGIN/JAMES BOND 007 (shaky, not stirring!)

Of those, the only one I'm reading is Supergirl, although Books of Magic is a comic I'll probably take a look at in trades. (Which wouldn't be the case for Harry Potter. But I'm sure JK Rowling doesn't need me.)

Catwoman and JLO I dropped after a couple of issues each. JLO has a new team now, and it interests me...a little, since I like Abnett. I like Jones, too, so Catwoman interests me as well -- but there are only so many branches on my money tree.  

As for Marvel, Unlimited handles most of what I want to read there. And I never buy Dynamite books full-price -- they're always available digitally for a dollar sooner or later, and I'm willing to wait for later.

I read the last two issues of Batman (68 and 69), and I hate to say it, but I don't think this book is doing anything for me anymore. 69 was the conclusion of this story arc, which was just way too long. It may have taken only a couple months, but it still felt really padded out, and it wasn't worth it in the end.

Issue 68's story with Batman having a dream about Lois and Selina having a two-girl bachelorette party was strange--did he dream up all of those different wines for the Superman robots to deliver to the ladies?

I'm still well on board with Batman, but I agree -- these last four months have moved sloooow. (Especially since with the insertion on the Flash crossover, it's been five.) As much as I've liked some of these diversions -- especially the fun bridal shower -- I'm well past ready to get back to reality. I think I see what King was trying to go for here, but even shipping biweekly, it's a real test of reader patience.

I just cut The Terrifics from my pull list. I liked the first issue by Gene Yang more than the Lemire issues...but it looks like I missed the second issue of his story...or I have it somewhere in the house and never read it. Either's possible. But I realize: If I just quit the book, I just have to wait 6 months or so and they'll show up in the Walmart Superman Giants. Or, if they don't, I sincerely doubt the rest of the series will be tough to track down. (And I can't see it lasting much longer, regardless.)

I'm also dropping Supergirl after her last outer-space issue next month. The book's fine -- well, today's issue was a cobbled-together mess, but in general it's been fine -- but I expect Lois and Jimmy will be provide a more interesting look at the other facets of the Superman universe for the next year or so. And something's gotta give. 

I don't think I have ever actually enjoyed anything that Marc Andreyko has written. I couldn't get into his Manhunter series, and as a result, I don't find myself all that intrigued by the character at all. I think of him as someone who I found inexplicably popular in the early 2000's, and I've just never gotten it.

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

I'm also dropping Supergirl after her last outer-space issue next month. The book's fine -- well, today's issue was a cobbled-together mess, but in general it's been fine -- but I expect Lois and Jimmy will be provide a more interesting look at the other facets of the Superman universe for the next year or so. And something's gotta give. 

Sounds like your feelings about Andreyko are similar to my feelings about Lemire. A lot of acclaim, but I just don't see the appeal.

Another book I'm going to let slide off my pull list is Justice League Dark. I'll probably continue to buy it for a while, but I doubt I'll ever have trouble finding it, and it's a book I want to be able to leave sitting on the shelf if I'm just not feeling it. As high as my hopes were for it, it never really reached the heights of Tynian's run on Detective.

Yeah, I love Lemire, but I can see how he's not everybody's cup of tea. Different strokes and all that. I realize many people feel that way toward Bendis, and I absolutely love what he's done with the Superman books. I guess we all gravitate toward our thing, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

Sounds like your feelings about Andreyko are similar to my feelings about Lemire. A lot of acclaim, but I just don't see the appeal.

Some of my recently cut series:

The Terrifics - I definitely stuck with this series longer than I would have, simply because I liked the entire team. It never reached the level I hope for.

Young Justice - It just never clicked with me, and I found it kind of boring.

Wonder Twins - I was okay with it when it was a 6(?) issue mini series, but not enough to continue past that.

Shazam - I actually like this series, but I'm tired of comics being late, so I'm just going to let it go and spend my money on something else.

Ice Cream Man - I get that this is a horror comic, but even horror has some good/decent moments before you get laid low again. This is just way too depressing for me.

I didn't see it in the last Previews but if Marvel Comics Presents is still around I'm done with it. It is hard to justify $5 on a series that I enjoy only a third of most of the time.

I dropped The Terrifics, too, in the hope that the Superman Giants would continue reprinting them after Lemire left. I liked what Yang was doing when I left, and might go back to read the rest of his issues. I'm really enjoying Young Justice and Wonder Twins, though I'd like to get YJ back into the regular universe soon. Shazam I dropped, too, I think after the second issue... though right now there's a bunch of issues on sale for a buck at Comixology, and I might pick them up.  

I bought the first issue of The Terrifics and decided to trade-wait based on word of mouth.

Guess I can stop "waiting."

I've got a couple books that are not exactly on the chopping block... but I'm shifting how I'll buy them. I've decided to shift a couple things from print to digital. Green Lantern: Black Stars looks like a good point to start doing that. I'm going to read issues 1-12 of Green Lantern again before I start it up. Also, I think I'll make the digital shift on Wonder Woman after issue 750 comes out. (I'm already reading Lois Lane, Dial H for Hero, and Money Shots on digital only; it's a format I like more and more -- especially as I look to a future move, and wondering how I'm going to heft all this pulp.)

On the other hand, with Justice League Dark getting a new writer, I might be dropping that one altogether. And we'll see how I feel about the new direction of Batman, too -- though I expect the Tynion run will make the grade. 

One book that's definitely gone from my list is DC Superhero Girls Giant. I hope they're fun for the target audience, but unlike the Scooby Doo and Tiny Titans Giants, they aren't managing to be fun for me. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service