Even though issues 1 and 2 didn't overly impress me, I was planning on sticking with Flash: Rebirth out of faith that Geoff Johns would ultimately give me a good story. But issue three today convinced me that...yeah, I'm just not digging this book.

At the same time, Wonder Woman and Runaways remain on the verge for me, dependent on a new storyline and a new creative team, respectively.

I guess, given that I have something like three or four titles I want to find a space for, this could be worse news, but I'm disappointed that I'm not enjoying all these titles more.

Views: 6057

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Alan M. said:
Have they been releasing trades of Wonder Woman with any regularity? (The last one I remember seeing is the Jodi Picoult run...) I'm thinking I might trade-drop that title: removing it from my pull list, with the plan of reading it in trades unless word of mouth gets really bad. But that plan depends on there actually, um, being trades of Wonder Woman, and I'm not sure there are...

ETA: Ah! Just checked Amazon, and it looks like there are, in fact, Wonder Woman trades. Yay plan, then!

They are taking a looooong time to release them, though...
Rob Staeger said:
Doc Beechler said:Yeah that art on Detective...man! Two things...having both Batwoman and Question consult older men as info/computer people in the same issue seemed a bit repetitve...although the identity of Kate's is cool. And that two-page spread of her apartment was stunning. Second, does every female crimefighter in the Bat-family have to be a lesbian? It kinda pushes it from progressive to exploitative or just plain kinky...especially given that there are no gay males in the cast. If Batgirl is Holly (from Catwoman)...we'll be four for four.
Four for Four? I'm counting one... two if you count Montoya, who has Gotham roots but I don't think of her as a Bat-Family character. But even with her, and Holly, that's three. Huntress and Oracle are straight, right? Who am I missing? (I don't know Spoiler's orientation -- she *used* to be straight, but I haven't read much of anything since she came back.)

Manhunter just moved to Gotham...that would be four...Kate Spencer is the new D.A. of Gotham, so she's gonna be a Bat-family member if she likes it or not...
Kate Spencer is gay?
Doc Beechler said:
Alan M. said:
Have they been releasing trades of Wonder Woman with any regularity? (The last one I remember seeing is the Jodi Picoult run...) I'm thinking I might trade-drop that title: removing it from my pull list, with the plan of reading it in trades unless word of mouth gets really bad. But that plan depends on there actually, um, being trades of Wonder Woman, and I'm not sure there are...

ETA: Ah! Just checked Amazon, and it looks like there are, in fact, Wonder Woman trades. Yay plan, then!

They are taking a looooong time to release them, though...

I've complained about DC/Warner's...ill-advised (he says, being polite) publication schedule before. Taking a look, it seems WW is consistent with their approach:

Wonder Woman #25 (the last issue in the most recently-released collection) came out on October 8, 2008. Wonder Woman: Ends of the Earth (collecting #20-25) came out in hardcover five months later, March 11, 2009. The paperback is currently (according to Amazon) scheduled for March 9, 2010; almost exactly one year after the HC.

So figuring the current issue of Wonder Woman was the last issue of the next collection, and I'd be starting with the collection after that... six or so months for the next trade's worth of materials puts us at December '09; five to six months for the HC puts us at June '10; then another year for the paperback...

If I switch to trades, I won't read the next Wonder Woman story until June 2011.

As I said: DC/Warner's publication schedule? Ill-advised.
Alan M. said:
I've complained about DC/Warner's...ill-advised (he says, being polite) publication schedule before. Taking a look, it seems WW is consistent with their approach:

Wonder Woman #25 (the last issue in the most recently-released collection) came out on October 8, 2008. Wonder Woman: Ends of the Earth (collecting #20-25) came out in hardcover five months later, March 11, 2009. The paperback is currently (according to Amazon) scheduled for March 9, 2010; almost exactly one year after the HC.

To beat a dead horse, compare to Marvel:

Thor #6, published Feb. 27, 2008. Thor Vol. 1 (collecting #1-6) released hardcover on April 30, 2008; paperback on July 30, 2008.
Alan M. said:
Alan M. said:

To beat a dead horse, compare to Marvel:

Thor #6, published Feb. 27, 2008. Thor Vol. 1 (collecting #1-6) released hardcover on April 30, 2008; paperback on July 30, 2008.

In September, a Wonder Woman collection (in hard and soft cover) will be released the same day...but it looks like it's collecting #20-25 again.

You know what...I had in my mind that Kate Spencer was gay...but, you're right, she's never been shown to be.
I thought that HC/TP collection was the Rise of the Olympian story...

Looking back, the description is certainly of the ROTO storyline... but the issues listed are 20-27. I have a feeling those issue numbers are in error, but ya never know...
Rob Staeger said:
I thought that HC/TP collection was the Rise of the Olympian story...

Looking back, the description is certainly of the ROTO storyline... but the issues listed are 20-27. I have a feeling those issue numbers are in error, but ya never know...

Yeah...it's confusing...
Doom Patrol...I read the second issue this past week, and that is it for me. What do you call jokes that fall flatter than flat? The Metal Men wasn't any better. The whole joke with Copper was funny the first 300 times in the last issue, but it wore pretty thin the next 400.
I might be dropping Doom Patrol too; I'm giving the book one more issue so I can wrap up the Black Hole storyline. I'm not sure if anything will take it's place. A good candidate is the Azzarello/Morales Doc Savage/Spirit/Blackhawk book. That looks like fun!
Well, I think I am on the hook for one or two more issues because of pre-orders. Maybe it will dazzle me then.
Detective Comics, I like it alright, but it is just missing a certain something that I just can't put my finger on. I think Batwoman has a cool look, but I just can't get into her character. Is it me or has Cully Hamner's art regressed some on the Question back-up?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service