OK, just read issue #0.  It involves the current iteration of Nova, who is apparently a kid named Sam Alexander, whose father was an old drunk who claimed to have been an intergalactic space hero, and who eventually disappeared. In time, the son discovers that the old man had been an intergalactic space hero and ends up becoming the new Nova himself. I'm not familiar with this version of the character, so I can't say how long he's been around. I remember reading the original Nova nearly forty years ago - I don't have any great memories of him except that he was drawn by Carmine Infantino for awhile.

Anyway, our Sam fights a robot version of Tomazooma and meets the Avengers and asks them about the Watcher and finds out that while they know the Watcher watches, they don't know why. So, he goes to the Moon and gives the Watcher a rock and Utau Atua Utapau Uatu shows him his home movies of how his Dad (Uatu's, I mean, not Sam's) was the one who had the bright idea of giving the Prosilicans nuclear energy and we all know how that worked out.  Is this new?  I don't remember it being U Thant Utrecht Uatu's old man who did that. Anyway, Sam asks Uatu just how much he watches and Uatu blows his mind by showing him scenes from old issues of What If.  Anyway, Sam realizes that what Uatu is really hoping to see is a world where his dad wasn't wrong. Sam commiserates and says that he wishes his father wasn't a screw-up, too, then asks Uatu what happened to his (Sam's, not Uatu's) dad, and after a slight pause, Uatu tells Sam that his dad is still alive. (Say, isn't that sort of "interfering", Uatu, old son?).  Sam goes off happy and Uatu puts the rock on a shelf. 

A mildly interesting story, and the art is nice enough.

Say, the Watcher apparently has an armory - he's really loaded for bear - where he keeps the Ultimate Nullifier. How'd he end up with it? I thought Galactus took that back after Reed made him promise to leave Earth after threatening to blow his head off with it.

Views: 2776

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Actually when I think about it I've made progress. I've gone from actively hating marvel to not liking them to indifference on most the titles, though I have tuned in to see how low the Illuminati will go, a little more work and I should be able to ignore the company entirely.

Mark S. Ogilvie said:

It's like reading the paper every day, I skim most of the threads.

I read the paper every day too, I just skip over the stuff I know going in that I won't like.

Ron M. said:

It's also somewhat like watching a train wreck happening right in front of you, and realizing a lot of people you used to know are on the train.

With a train wreck, you usually can't avert your eyes.  Either it happens in a split second before you have a chance to turn away, or you come upon the scene just as it happens.  Or the police have blocked traffic, and you can't move.

I think a better comparison is flipping through the channels and one particular show catches your eye.  Some people decide to give it a try, others decide after a brief viewing that they know they won't enjoy it, and resume searching for something else.  Then there are others who keep watching, even knowing they won't enjoy it. hoping that it will get better or some other sentiment.

To each their own.

That's more true if you're paying for what you view. If you bought the comic you feel you're wasting your money unless you read the whole thing.

A lot of people read The Crossing, Onslaught, and Heroes Reborn, hoping they'd get better.

Still haven't seen anything that convinces me that either of you don't care. You care enough to read this thread, and make multiple posts. Did either of you read the series?

Now I don't care about Dr. Who. I think you would be hard-pressed to find a post by me in any of the Dr. Who threads. I can't even remember the last time I opened one up.

You miss-understand, It's not that I don't care completely -though I am close- it's that I'm trying very, very hard not to care. Caring or having faith in the marvel characters at this point is like having faith that the Titantic has enough life boats. As the past few years have shown there's not a one of them that won't sell out, betray, outright murder or otherwise harm friends, team mates or loved ones for a plot point or a splash page. This whole series is about that. When I see Val living with Doom right now I think she's better off and I wonder when SHIELD will start dissecting the kids from the Future Foundation. Oh there may be the occasional heroic act here and there, I'll admit that, but those are only fillers before the next big event where some formerly heroic character will have to do something evil that will lead to a short and (probably badly) written redemption mini-series. (I think Dr. Strange is next up on the list for that sort of thing) So I try very hard not to care anymore, even though I probably do more than I'd like to admit. It's easier to do that than just carry the anger over the the way the characters are being written.

Travis Herrick (Modular Mod) said:

Still haven't seen anything that convinces me that either of you don't care. You care enough to read this thread, and make multiple posts. Did either of you read the series?

Now I don't care about Dr. Who. I think you would be hard-pressed to find a post by me in any of the Dr. Who threads. I can't even remember the last time I opened one up.

Mark S. Ogilvie said:

You miss-understand, It's not that I don't care completely -though I am close- it's that I'm trying very, very hard not to care. Caring or having faith in the marvel characters at this point is like having faith that the Titantic has enough life boats. As the past few years have shown there's not a one of them that won't sell out, betray, outright murder or otherwise harm friends, team mates or loved ones for a plot point or a splash page. This whole series is about that. When I see Val living with Doom right now I think she's better off and I wonder when SHIELD will start dissecting the kids from the Future Foundation. Oh there may be the occasional heroic act here and there, I'll admit that, but those are only fillers before the next big event where some formerly heroic character will have to do something evil that will lead to a short and (probably badly) written redemption mini-series. (I think Dr. Strange is next up on the list for that sort of thing) So I try very hard not to care anymore, even though I probably do more than I'd like to admit. It's easier to do that than just carry the anger over the the way the characters are being written.

photo deadhorse.gif

Someone asked, I replied.

ClarkKent_DC said:

Mark S. Ogilvie said:

photo deadhorse.gif

Feel free to delete if you wish.

My messages I mean. You can delete mine if you want.

If I read this part of the thread correctly - this debate is about thes state of the Marvel universe creativly etc (?)
It is very easy for those of us that have watched comics for any lengthy period to feel that 'our' comicdom is gone. Easy to think what they're producing now would never have been done 'in-my-day'.
I felt like that throughout the entire Bendis era of the Avengers- hated what he did to 'my' favourites.
I have to accept though that he has his own fans who loved what he did. It's also his era that appears to have led to their prominence and argueably their silver screen success...and yet I still don't like what he did.
It's not 'my' comics.
When I look at that deeper, however, I find that before the Bendis era - I hated the Crossing Saga, thought the 'Heroes Reborn' concept was sacrillige and felt Deathcry and Rage were not worthy of Avengers membership.
Then I realise I didn't think Gilgamesh was up to much and I activly hated the concept of Mr Fantastic and the Invisible Woman joining the team back as far as crica #300.
Having said that, I was appalled at the time that 'my' team allowed the likes of Tigra to join back in the early #200s and before that never felt Mantis 'worthy'.
In other words - and forgive by rambling - I haven't been 'happy' with 'my' favourites for most of my comics collecting history!
I think that's the point!
This whole post shows how much the creators DO make me CARE.
If I wanted 'old-fashioned' I'd buy nothing but Essential/Showcase....they all have their part but everything moves on.
Nightcrawler is back from the dead.
Gwen Stacey was 'of-questionable-morals'
Nick Fury is moving on from Warhorse to Super-spy to Rigellian Recorder...
Thimngs change.
Soemthings we like somethings we don't.
"Every comic is someone's first comic".

But every comic can be someone's last comic too. I liken it to a sporting team that you knew in your youth, that you supported for year after year until you finally realized that the owners were never going to put enough money onto the field to win a championship, that they'd always go just far enough to put a good team on the field, but not a great one because the fans kept showing up anyway. You finally stop going to the games but you can't resist looking at the sports page every now and then. When marvel puts out something as ridiculous as this I really, really do not want to care, but it's like that sporting team when you read they've traded away a great player for a couple of draft choices because that player was asking for a bit too much money; you care. There's just too much history not to.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

The Baron replied to The Baron's discussion The List of 972 Super-Heroines
"Added: Acromaid Baby I.Q. Commandette Ghost Woman Gotham Girl Ladybug Lady Fantastic Lightning…"
4 minutes ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion She-Hulk
"ISSUES #9-30: I was buying this series because of John Byrne, not She-Hulk, so when Byrne left so…"
13 minutes ago
The Baron replied to The Baron's discussion The List of 957 Super-Heroines
"Cool."
34 minutes ago
"Anotjher good one/"
40 minutes ago
"Oh, yeah, I forgot about her."
46 minutes ago
"And another."
49 minutes ago
"Another good one."
51 minutes ago
"Characters from any media are fine."
56 minutes ago
"Good suggestions."
58 minutes ago
"I've always thought of her as  a comedy releif character than as a "hero"."
1 hour ago
"Cool. (Side Note: I'm starting to encounter the phenomenon that when I Google these…"
1 hour ago
"Interesting.  Apparently, they brought her back years later as Strong-Woman."
1 hour ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service