OK, just read issue #0.  It involves the current iteration of Nova, who is apparently a kid named Sam Alexander, whose father was an old drunk who claimed to have been an intergalactic space hero, and who eventually disappeared. In time, the son discovers that the old man had been an intergalactic space hero and ends up becoming the new Nova himself. I'm not familiar with this version of the character, so I can't say how long he's been around. I remember reading the original Nova nearly forty years ago - I don't have any great memories of him except that he was drawn by Carmine Infantino for awhile.

Anyway, our Sam fights a robot version of Tomazooma and meets the Avengers and asks them about the Watcher and finds out that while they know the Watcher watches, they don't know why. So, he goes to the Moon and gives the Watcher a rock and Utau Atua Utapau Uatu shows him his home movies of how his Dad (Uatu's, I mean, not Sam's) was the one who had the bright idea of giving the Prosilicans nuclear energy and we all know how that worked out.  Is this new?  I don't remember it being U Thant Utrecht Uatu's old man who did that. Anyway, Sam asks Uatu just how much he watches and Uatu blows his mind by showing him scenes from old issues of What If.  Anyway, Sam realizes that what Uatu is really hoping to see is a world where his dad wasn't wrong. Sam commiserates and says that he wishes his father wasn't a screw-up, too, then asks Uatu what happened to his (Sam's, not Uatu's) dad, and after a slight pause, Uatu tells Sam that his dad is still alive. (Say, isn't that sort of "interfering", Uatu, old son?).  Sam goes off happy and Uatu puts the rock on a shelf. 

A mildly interesting story, and the art is nice enough.

Say, the Watcher apparently has an armory - he's really loaded for bear - where he keeps the Ultimate Nullifier. How'd he end up with it? I thought Galactus took that back after Reed made him promise to leave Earth after threatening to blow his head off with it.

Views: 2776

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The vibe I get from this story is as though it was written by someone who really didn't really like super-heroes all that much.

They also seem to be going out of their way to make all of the characters unlikable. Certainly, the Rocekt Raccoon in this book is very different from the one in the movie.

In the old days writers and artists might not have liked what they were working on, but you never knew it. I was shocked when I read that John Buscema hated the Silver Surfer because he was so powerful yet he whined all the time. I certainly never saw the slightest hint he didn't like the character. And one of DC's top writers from the Silver Age admitted he never liked anything he wrote, he just saw each story as a paycheck, and had no opinion on any of the characters. They might have been bored or unhappy with their work, but they did a great job of selling the idea that they enjoyed what they were doing. Now they're not even trying to hide their opinions. Something like this you get the feeling they'd do a lot more to the characters than they're allowed to if they got the okay. Maybe even do away with the Marvel Universe and work on something like Sin City or The Maltese Falcon instead of guys in costumes.  

Ron M. said:

In the old days writers and artists might not have liked what they were working on, but you never knew it. I was shocked when I read that John Buscema hated the Silver Surfer because he was so powerful yet he whined all the time. I certainly never saw the slightest hint he didn't like the character. And one of DC's top writers from the Silver Age admitted he never liked anything he wrote, he just saw each story as a paycheck, and had no opinion on any of the characters. They might have been bored or unhappy with their work, but they did a great job of selling the idea that they enjoyed what they were doing. Now they're not even trying to hide their opinions. Something like this you get the feeling they'd do a lot more to the characters than they're allowed to if they got the okay. Maybe even do away with the Marvel Universe and work on something like Sin City or The Maltese Falcon instead of guys in costumes.

This goes hand-in-hand with all the missed deadlines by the modern-day writers and artists. If you would rather be doing something else that's your problem. No one should take a job (any job) if they can't do the job on time and as requested. I think a number of the old timers didn't like comics but you would never know it. This is why Stanley Lieber became Stan Lee. He wanted to use his real name on the Great American Novel. This was especially true when comics got absolutely no respect.

I think the Big Two tend to pander to the superstar creators because they generate a lot of sales. Unfortunately they either have huge egos or just take on more work than they can handle. And by the way, get off my lawn.

For all we know, Stanley Lieber might hate comics, but you'd never guess that hanging out with Stan Lee. That's the sign of a professional.

The way characters now talk at each other instead of to each other like street punks sizing each other up, you have to wonder if the writers actually talk that way to people in their private lives.

Could this have been even more incredible if he'd liked the characters?

You know I go to half a dozen or so comic book shows a year, and I've never had any comic book pro say anything bad about a series they worked on. Now some of stunts companies they have worked on have pulled sure. In fact these are pretty much all fans who come to the medium because they love it.  Most of them can make a better living working in another field. For the most part, unlike Stan Lee,  they aren't charging for their autograph, or having a picture taken with them.

Plus, there were a ton of deadlines missed. That is why you had inventory stories, and why they kept Vincent Colletta employed.  I hate book missing their date as well (I drop books that miss them too often), but it is the comic book companies that changed their model.

There's no way really to know if they like it or not, but when stuff like Amazon's Attack comes out or a storyline like this you do wonder what goes on behind the scenes. I've had plenty of reasons to hate marvel over the past few years and some of their authors and editors, and I really don't think that they have the same idea of what constitutes heroism as I do. The Illuminati series currently calling itself Avengers definitely doesn't and while I doubt they'll be any sort of consequences for their actions I will remember what they did and won't buy the characters anymore. In fact I'm not sure why I should root for them against the Red Skull considering he's never even approached their body count. I'm not sure if they like what they are doing or not and to tell you the truth it doesn't matter. Doyle didn't like Holmes and I like the stories anyway. But those were good stories. Having Nick Fury suddenly being the hidden god/defender despite no evidence in any book that I've ever read pushes things as far as SHIELD being run by HYDRA. You just loose me at a certain point.

Mark S. Ogilvie said:

There's no way really to know if they like it or not, but when stuff like Amazon's Attack comes out or a storyline like this you do wonder what goes on behind the scenes.

I don't.  I assume the creators and editors are trying to tell the best stories they can.  Sometimes they succeed, sometimes they fail, sometimes it lands in the middle.  This is such an odd accusation.  Do people accuse actors, writers, or directors of hating what they do if one movie or one episode of a show is a stinker?

I've had plenty of reasons to hate marvel over the past few years and some of their authors and editors, and I really don't think that they have the same idea of what constitutes heroism as I do.

Hate the direction of the books?  Understandable, to a degree.  Hate the people?  Really?

The Illuminati series currently calling itself Avengers definitely doesn't and while I doubt they'll be any sort of consequences for their actions I will remember what they did and won't buy the characters anymore. In fact I'm not sure why I should root for them against the Red Skull considering he's never even approached their body count.

The Red Skull?  "Never even approached their body count"?  Seriously?

I'm not sure if they like what they are doing or not and to tell you the truth it doesn't matter. Doyle didn't like Holmes and I like the stories anyway. But those were good stories. Having Nick Fury suddenly being the hidden god/defender despite no evidence in any book that I've ever read pushes things as far as SHIELD being run by HYDRA. You just loose me at a certain point.

Fair enough, but by your own admission they lost you about a decade ago, no?

My encounters with Wacker and Slott on the CBR boards left me with severe depression and fleeting thoughts of ending it all. Trust me, hate was there.

I don't imagine they set out to write bad stories, but I do wonder how something like AA gets done.

I don't like spoilers but in Avengers Dr. Strange just murdered a group of heroes who were trying to stop the Illuminati from blowing up an Earth full of innocent people, Namor actually pushed the button that blew up that planet. The writer has clouded it in a 'they didn't have a choice' sort of plot but the bottom line is that the Illuminati just murdered billions of people. In cold blood and with premeditation and before they did that they brutally murdered the heroes for those people. So yea, next to that I find the Red Skull conquering the world to be a lesser offense. I don't think I'd actually root for him, but given that he's never blown an entire world I'd have to say his body count is less.

Namor has been a villain many times in the past, and according to John Byrne staying too long either above or under water makes him crazy, so you never know what he might do. Dr. Strange I expect a lot more from. Why did they do this? Another Earth? Is Marvel doing Crisis now? Didn't have a choice but to kill innocents?

At least the Red Skull admits he's a sick twisted freak, and likes it that way.

Original Sin #8 (November 2014): "The One Who Watches"

We start with a flashback of Fury berating Uatu for letting himself be robbed.  In the present, Dr. Midas wants to eat Uatu to absorb his power. Fury blows his hand off, and Exterminatrix takes said hand and cuts and runs.The Orb blasts Fury,

Back in flashback, we see Fury berating Uatu some more.

In the present, one of Uatu's eyes attacks the Orb.  The Odd Squad comes to Fury's rescue, but not because they like him. Stephen urges Fury to confesses his final sin, and Fury finally confesses to killing Uatu and taking his other eye, although it kind of looked to me like Uatu chose "suicide-by-Fury". Fury takes  the eye and confronts Midas.  Uatu's other  eye attacks the Orb. Fury attacks Midas, while the Watchers watch. There is a colossal explosion, and one Watcher sheds a tear for Uatu.

The Avengers and the Odd Squad rummage through the rubble, presuming that Fury is dead.  Stephen lets the Avengers leave without telling them everything, whatever that is. On Earth, Extermniatrix is planning to start over again.  The Orb, with Uatu's eye lodged in his chest, watches a woman killing a guy.  The Avengers and the Odd Squad fly back to Earth, suddenly remembering that they left Thor on the Moon, still trying to lift his hammer.

In space, Bucky kills an alien who's thinking about attacking the Earth - so, I guess he's the new "guardian at the gates"?

We end on the Moon. A chained, barefoot figure wanders through the rubble of the Watcher's home. It's Nick Fury, now somehow condemned to watch everything without interfering. (I dunno. I guess the explosion with the Watcher's eye did it?) Anyway, he is now the Unseen

Elsewhere, in another universe, a solitary figure sits at a computer terminal, and wonders what the hell that was all about! ;)

Overall: It wasn't that bad, I suppose.  Dunno how I'd feel about that ending if I was a huge Nick Fury fan.  In the end, for good or ill, "my" Marvel Universe is gone, just as "my" DC Universe is gone.

Good. Now I can spend my money on other things, such as reprints of "my" Marvel..

So it ends ripping off Morrison's Animal Man with the writer showing up? It's been done. They should have shown the woman the Watcher loved but broke up with because of his duties, especially since her story is reprinted in the new Rarities Masterworks.

Ron M. said:

Good. Now I can spend my money on other things, such as reprints of "my" Marvel..

So it ends ripping off Morrison's Animal Man with the writer showing up? It's been done.

Uh, no, sorry.  the "solitary figure" is me. Another failed attempt at humor. You'd think I'd know better by now.

They should have shown the woman the Watcher loved but broke up with because of his duties, especially since her story is reprinted in the new Rarities Masterworks.

Was she a female Watcher? The Watcher that cried for Uatu was somewhat femmy-looking. Maybe that was her.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

Philip Portelli replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"After Robin, Aqualad and Kid Flash teamed up in Brave & Bold #54 proved so popular…"
1 hour ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion The Ninth Doctor Adventures
"4.3 - THE FORTH GENERATION: "The Forth Generation have emerged. The Doctor, the Brigadier, Sam…"
1 hour ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion "Pick of the Week" - What's Yours?
1 hour ago
ClarkKent_DC replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"I loved that book."
2 hours ago
Dave Palmer replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"1984-1985"
4 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Star Trek: Strange New Worlds
"STRANGE NEW WORLDS: As the episode begins, Enterprise is in drydock and has been for a year being…"
5 hours ago
The Baron replied to The Baron's discussion The List of 892 Super-Heroines
"Added: Herculina Miss X Platinum Wonder Woman Power Tower Savanna Sister Miracle Venus…"
7 hours ago
Peter Wrexham replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Yes, I was already considered the first and last issues of Showcase (not least because we also…"
7 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Richard Willis already posted the first and last of She-Hulk's second series. Here's her…"
7 hours ago
"Speaking of changing tastes, writer Michael L. Fleischer tried to breathe new life into this tired…"
13 hours ago
"Continuing on ... Jonah Hex graduated to his own series, titled Jonah Hex of course (March-April…"
14 hours ago
"Continuing this saga ... All-Star Western was retitled Weird Western Tales with issue #12…"
14 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service