Oscars Line

With the nominations for the Oscars/Academy Awards announced , let's make this the Oscars Line !

We can discuss the Oscars , then and now , including " the genre contingent " ( Historically - especially in the " big " categories -rather low . )...Perhaps on Feb 27 , anyone who's able to could live-comment !!!!!!!!! ( As happened before on Another Board when I started an OL a coupla years back . )

Here where I'm at , a suprising number of movie theaters/other places actually show the Oscars show on the big screen on the big nite ,presumably by projection TV?? , charging a variable amount for the ticket .

Does this happen anywhere else ? I've seen an official ABC poster at a theater that was doing thus , presumably they/the Academy tolerate that under properly set-up conditions , much as PPV boxing matches and the like do get shown at bars and such .

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thanks for starting this, Emerkeith! We've done a live commentary thread on the Oscars ceremony in years past (though I don't think we did it in the immediate year past), and it would be certainly be fun to see one going again. (Especially if the esteemed Mike Parnell came out of message board retirement to join us...)

I've never seen a theater do a live broadcast of the Oscars, but I bet that would be a fun thing to go to!

• A live thread sounds fun, I haven't participated in one yet.

For this year's nominees for best picture I've seen 5 of the 10. Toy Story 3, True Grit, Inception, King's Speech, Social Network are the one's I've seen so far. I doubt it'll win but Inception was the one I enjoyed the most but all are good films.

• I'm rooting for Toy Story 3 to win Best Picture. It's as valid and as solid a choice as any other nominee.

• There are two pet peeves I have with the Oscars -- or, rather, with the way the Oscars are covered -- and I hope each year they won't happen, but one of them already has. 

Peeve No. 1: The routine bleating that some film was nominated for Best Picture but wasn't nominated for Best Director. This time it's Inception. Isn't there a reason those are two separate categories? 

Peeve No. 2: The annual bleating that the show is too long, and can things be done to bring it in under three hours. Hasn't everyone figured out by now that it's not a three-hour show that runs over, but a four-hour show that runs short?

• I've opined before, and I'll opine again, that the Academy missed a chance when they expanded the Best Picture category. Rather than push it up to ten, making a lot of token nominations more likely, they should've created two Best Pictures -- Best Drama/Suspense and Best Comedy/Musical, maybe, like the Golden Globes has -- and then they'd still have 10 nominees, but two winners. It would also solve the regretful under-representation of comedies in the Academy Awards, and maybe motivate Hollywood to make more high quality comedies, too!

• Alan M. said:
    I've opined before, and I'll opine again, that the Academy missed a chance when they expanded the Best Picture category. Rather than push it up to ten, making a lot of token nominations more likely, they should've created two Best Pictures -- Best Drama/Suspense and Best Comedy/Musical, maybe, like the Golden Globes has -- and then they'd still have 10 nominees, but two winners. It would also solve the regretful under-representation of comedies in the Academy Awards, and maybe motivate Hollywood to make more high quality comedies, too!
    ...To Alan:
      Well , maybe the Academy thought that such a move would " water down the brand " , removing the " one " winner , especially ( pace Clark: ) the fact that the top Oscar , the Best Picture one , goes to the film's credited producer(s) shows how rooted in Golden Age Hollywood , before anyone used the term/concept " auteur " to refer to anything else but ( uh , insert your own joke in here ) the Oscars' set-up is - People didn't make much of a deal of directors , certainly not to the extent they do to-day , in Twenties-Thirties Hollywood - Besides , I think that the Academy was an organization set up by the studio heads of the time , wasn't it ?
  • Alan M. said:
    I've opined before, and I'll opine again, that the Academy missed a chance when they expanded the Best Picture category. Rather than push it up to ten, making a lot of token nominations more likely, they should've created two Best Pictures -- Best Drama/Suspense and Best Comedy/Musical, maybe, like the Golden Globes has -- and then they'd still have 10 nominees, but two winners. It would also solve the regretful under-representation of comedies in the Academy Awards, and maybe motivate Hollywood to make more high quality comedies, too!

What he said! Photobucket
  • So my watching of best picture nominees continues. Last night I watched Winter's Bone. I liked it. I'm not really sure why it was nominated. The lead actress was good and carried the film well, she deserves her acting nomination. The film in general was alright not a lot too it other than showing another side of life we aren't typically privy to.

Tonight I'll see another, probably the Fighter.

• Just got back from the Fighter. It was great. I'll post more in the "movies I have seen lately" thread.

So far I've seen:

The Fighter

True Grit

The King's Speech

The Social Network

Winter's Bone

Toy Story 3

Inception

Still need to see:

127 Hours

Black Swan

The Kids are Alright

As far as the one's I've seen, they're all good. Winter's Bone, which was good, is probably my least favorite. It didn't stick with me or hit me on an emotional level. It has atomosphere, some intense parts, and good performances but still didn't leave me with much. The others made an impact on me in some way. Right now I'm leaning towards the Fighter as my favorite.

For the discussion of having two categories. I like that there's 10 nominees for best picture but I don't think that there should be two categories. If you split the best picture into two, does that mean you split the acting into two as well? I guess you don't have to but if you do it for one why not the other? I think the Oscars should stay with the one award. I like that every year there's one film chosen as the "best of the year".

• I favor the idea of having a "Best Comedy/Musical" award because, frankly, comedies almost never get nominated and are less likely to win.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, if any given comedy was really, really good, it could compete on equal footing for Best Picture, but I'll believe that argument the day a Pixar movie wins Best Picture.

This reply was deleted.