With the nominations for the Oscars/Academy Awards announced , let's make this the Oscars Line !

We can discuss the Oscars , then and now , including " the genre contingent " ( Historically - especially in the " big " categories -rather low . )...Perhaps on Feb 27 , anyone who's able to could live-comment !!!!!!!!! ( As happened before on Another Board when I started an OL a coupla years back . )

Here where I'm at , a suprising number of movie theaters/other places actually show the Oscars show on the big screen on the big nite ,presumably by projection TV?? , charging a variable amount for the ticket .

Does this happen anywhere else ? I've seen an official ABC poster at a theater that was doing thus , presumably they/the Academy tolerate that under properly set-up conditions , much as PPV boxing matches and the like do get shown at bars and such .

Views: 277

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

...While trying to avoid qualatative arguments about the BOS nod-ees , there appears to have been some decided pendulum-swunging over the yaers regarding the " popness " of the BOSs .

It appears that in some years the songs have reached a lot more " real world " prominence - Depening of course to a certain extent on what your drf. of " the real world " is , and eras , too , not just individual years , appear to see-saw back and forth regarding - Well , how widely know the Song nod-ees have becone that year .

Apart from if they actually saw the movie , or bought some soundtrack/DVD , haa anyone here even HEARD any of the Song nods ?????

I'm so utterly out of touch with how pop music is spread/disseminated now:-( , whether over mainstream radio or more " modern/post-moderrn " methods , I hardly count as any sort of good test for this...

ClarkKent_DC said:

I favor the idea of having a "Best Comedy/Musical" award because, frankly, comedies almost never get nominated and are less likely to win.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, if any given comedy was really, really good, it could compete on equal footing for Best Picture, but I'll believe that argument the day a Pixar movie wins Best Picture.

...OTTOMH , I guess " It Happened One Night " , and , I guess , " Terms Of Endearment " ( SPOILER ! )...in which , um , Debra Winger dies at the end , while her mother looks on at her... count as " comedies " , plus some musicals actually are " musical comedy " enough...Well , in the 21st , " Chicago " is a grim/dark comedy...Yes , being in the " musical " genre is more immediately noticable , true...

...Okay , my songs thing .

The BOS nods are up to four this year , from three the last few years .

Will they be regulated to a medley this year , as , IIRC , happened last year with Peter Gabriel opting out of singing his nod for that reason ?????

As far as the " pop-ness " of any given year's crop of songs , certainly , especially , no doubt , for most folks here , 1984 standsd as a quanitative/commercial success high point , with ALL FIVE nominees Billboard Hot 100 Number One hits !!!!!!!!!!!

Look it up yourself .

Alan M. said:

Every year I keep track of how many movies across ALL the categories I can see before the Oscars; my quixotic goal is to someday see ALL the nominees before Oscar night...Expensive !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...Okay , I should've said " the 1985 Oscars " to make it more precisely correct , the Oscars are anmed after the year that they are held in , but concern the previous year's films .
...On another it's-too-late-to-correct tip , Wikipedia follows the oppsite method of classification , referring to the prevuious year in its designation for the Oscars when they list them , but the Oscars' page itself uses the the-year-of-the-ceremony methos , so I used that as my style guide .
I fell short of my goal of seeing the best picture nominees. I still have a shot at seeing Black Swan this afternoon but 127 Hours in no longer in theaters at least where I live.

These are the picks I sent to my friend Mike for our annual Oscar bet. 

BEST PICTURE The King's Speech

ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE Jesse Eisenberg, The Social Network

ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE Geoffrey Rush, The King's Speech

ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE Annette Benning, The Kids Are Allright

ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE Hailee Steinfeld, True Grit

ANIMATED FEATURE FILM Toy Story 3

ART DIRECTION Alice in Wonderland

CINEMATOGRAPHY True Grit, Roger Deakins

COSTUME DESIGN I Am Love, Antonella Cannarozzi

DIRECTING David Fincher, The Social Network

DOCUMENTARY FEATURE Restrepo

DOCUMENTARY SHORT  Killing in the Name

FILM EDITING The Social Network, Angus Wall and Kirk Baxter

FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM Incendies

MAKEUP Barney's Version

MUSIC (ORIGINAL SCORE) The King's Speech

MUSIC (ORIGINAL SONG) "We Belong Together"

SHORT FILM (ANIMATED) Day & Night

SHORT FILM (LIVE ACTION) Na Wewe

SOUND EDITING Inception

SOUND MIXING The Social Network

VISUAL EFFECTS Inception

WRITING (ADAPTED SCREENPLAY) The Social Network

WRITING (ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY) The King's Speech

OK, it is on. So far, I am not impressed by this. I do like Franco brought out the bow tie.

I just watched the whole thing (I can't live blog it; the TV and computer aren't in the same room).

Overall, I liked it. But then, I like Anne Hathaway; to me, she can do no wrong ... at least, not until the next Batman movie. In that, she's totally miscast -- Anne Hathaway, femme fatale? I can't see it -- but I love her dearly and can trust that she will give it it her all, like she did here tonight.

James Franco ... meh. But Anne Hathaway? Yeah!

I watched the whole thing too. It was pretty good. Some awkwardness but that usually happens every year. Anne Hathaway did a great job as the host. James Franco was alright. He seemed uncomfortable up there.

As far as the winners go I don't thik there were any major surprises.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service