With the nominations for the Oscars/Academy Awards announced , let's make this the Oscars Line !

We can discuss the Oscars , then and now , including " the genre contingent " ( Historically - especially in the " big " categories -rather low . )...Perhaps on Feb 27 , anyone who's able to could live-comment !!!!!!!!! ( As happened before on Another Board when I started an OL a coupla years back . )

Here where I'm at , a suprising number of movie theaters/other places actually show the Oscars show on the big screen on the big nite ,presumably by projection TV?? , charging a variable amount for the ticket .

Does this happen anywhere else ? I've seen an official ABC poster at a theater that was doing thus , presumably they/the Academy tolerate that under properly set-up conditions , much as PPV boxing matches and the like do get shown at bars and such .

Views: 282

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have seen thirteen.
Mike Parnell said:
I have seen thirteen.

Wow, you're only three up on me? I'm not sure whether I should feel impressed with myself, or chide you for slacking! :P

I'd like to reach that goal someday as well. I need to check though and see how many off all nominees I've seen. But I figured to start small and see all the best picture nominees. I saw the Kids are Alright last week. I just need to see Black Swan and 127 hours.

Alan M. said:

Every year I keep track of how many movies across ALL the categories I can see before the Oscars; my quixotic goal is to someday see ALL the nominees before Oscar night. Of the 41 movies nominated this year, I have so far seen ten, including half of the Best Picture nominees, none of the Best Actress nominees, and randomly, all five Best Art Direction nominees. (Now, if I actually understood what exactly "Best Art Direction" consists of, I could maybe make a pick...)

I checked, I've seen 17 of the nominees.
Good one, Jason! 

Jason Marconnet said:
I checked, I've seen 17 of the nominees.

...One thing of interest to me re the Oscars is:

The differing levels of prominence given to the Best Original Song nominees .

It's gone down to a very low level in recent years , with the songs not only down to 3 ( from 5 )...

I have re-calculated. I have seen fifteen of the nominees.

As to the best song, Randy Newman will probably win. The nominees are not as significant and he is a past winner, which gives him an inside track.

Jason Marconnet said:

I'd like to reach that goal someday as well. I need to check though and see how many off all nominees I've seen. But I figured to start small and see all the best picture nominees. I saw the Kids are Alright last week. I just need to see Black Swan and 127 hours.

Alan M. said:

Every year I keep track of how many movies across ALL the categories I can see before the Oscars; my quixotic goal is to someday see ALL the nominees before Oscar night. Of the 41 movies nominated this year, I have so far seen ten, including half of the Best Picture nominees, none of the Best Actress nominees, and randomly, all five Best Art Direction nominees. (Now, if I actually understood what exactly "Best Art Direction" consists of, I could maybe make a pick...)

...At least in the pre-digital era , would " Art Direction " have been " Set Design " , at least essentially/older word for it ?

...Has anybody seen , to switch from songs for now:

(1) The Documentary Feature nominees ?

(2) The 3 different Short category nominees's different noms ( Live Action , Documentary , and Animated ! ) ?

Mike Parnell said:
I am not retired, just don't come around as much as I once did.

As to the Oscars, I feel like the ten nominations for Best Picture can and may bring up a dark horse winner. "The Social Network" and "The King's Speech" may cancel each other out and make room for maybe "True Grit" to win.
...If True Grit wonfor Bridges  , would this be the first time a remake - of a copyrighted piece of material - won twice ?
( Yes , I am excluding different version of , say , historically & Biblically-inspired material - I believe the Theda Bara , Claudette Colbert , and Elizabeth Taylor versions of CLEOPATRA all were , considered remakes of the same material but , say , tversions of he Shakespere(Sp??) and George Bernard Shaw stageplays based upon the same character surely have to be counted differently - And , hey , what about musicalizations ? PYGMALION/MY FAIR LADY ? THE MATCHMAKER/HELLO , DOLLY ? But anyway . )
  How about winners for playing real-life people ? Helen Mirren has won both as Queen Elizabeth I and her great-great-great-great ( about 8 more " great "s?? ) -niece?? , Queen Elizabeth II , no ????????? )
...How I should've put it was , has anyone here seen any of the nod-dees in the three Shorts categories , Live-Action , Documentary , and Animated ?

...Now , please allow me to get into my point , regarding the Best Original Song category...

In recent years , the BOS category has gotten a lot less love from the Academy , last year , I am told , being cut down to a medley of the only three songs nominated...THis year it's back up to four , anyway , ( It'd been three for a few years now , it was the year " It's Hard Out For A Pimp " won...I expressed , once , elsewhere that I thought the Three Six Mafia should've followed it up with a song for one of the Spidey movies titled " Gwen Stacy , You Skanky Ho " , but just bring the wrong flavor of Evian to the confrence and see how soon you're outvoted...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service