Charlton's "Son of Vulcan" feature debuted in Mysteries of Unexplored Worlds #46 in Mar. 1965. It was retitled Son of Vulcan with #49 and ended with #50 in Nov. During the run the title appeared bimonthly.

In this period Thor's title was still Journey into Mystery. Mysteries of Unexplored Worlds #46 coincided on the stands with Journey into Mystery #116, the Trial of the Gods issue, and Son of Vulcan #50 with Journey into Mystery #124, the start of the Hercules storyline. Thor's title became Thor two issues later.

Mysteries of Unexplored Worlds #46 has an ad for Charlton's action heroes titles. It has an image of Son of Vulcan that takes up a bit under half the page. The other features listed are "Captain Atom", "Blue Beetle", "Jungle Tales of Tarzan", "Sarge Steel" and "The Fightin' 5".

At that point "Captain Atom" hadn't quite been revived. Reprints commenced in Strange Suspense Stories the next month, and the character's new series started in Oct. The star of "Blue Beetle" was the scarab-powered one. He had debuted nine months earlier, in Jun. 1964. Jungle Tales of Tarzan quickly ended. The title was unauthorised, and Tarzan wasn't in the public domain.

Judomaster made his first appearance in Special War Series #4 the month Son of Vulcan ended. Charlton's next mythological hero series was Hercules, but it didn't commence until Aug. 1967.

Views: 281

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

No list of Archie superheroes is complete without one of their longest running series ... Captain Sprocket

Sockamagee! I always thought that was a separate series! It was obvious that it picked up numbering from somewhere else, but I didn't realize it was from Fly/Fly-Man. The things I learn on this board!

Philip Portelli said:

Fly Man was rebranded as Mighty Comics with #40 (N'66) as an anthology of sorts with a rotating cast that gave some other MLJ heroes the spotlight. It lasted until #50 (O'67) with Jerry Seigel trying to channel Stan Lee.

#40 featured The Web.

#41--The Shield IIBlack Hood

#42--Black Hood

#43--Shield II, Black Hood, the Web

#44--Black Hood, Shield II, Steel Sterling

#45--Shield II, the Web, Hangman (revived as a villain but now a hero again)

#46--Steel Sterling, the Web

#47--Black Hood, Mister Justice

#48--Shield II, Hangman

#49--Steel Sterling, The Fox

#50--Black Hood, the Web with Inferno

Fun Fact: When Archie brought back Blue Ribbon Comics in the mid-80s, it too mostly featured heroes from the Mighty Crusaders but also spotlighted Mister Justice, Steel Sterling and the Fox!

Also I never had any issue of The Fly/Fly-Man but I had several issues of Mighty Comics that I got from the $1 bin!

The mid-'80s Red Circle line had a lot of titles. I was running a convention at the time, and we had Rich Buckler here in Memphis to push the line.

And titles that didn't last long like The Original Shield (four issues) Black Hood (three issues) and The Comet (two issues). And there was Lancelot Strong, the Shield (#1-2) then Shield/Steel Sterling (#3)and finally Steel Sterling for #4-7!

Captain Comics said:

The mid-'80s Red Circle line had a lot of titles. I was running a convention at the time, and we had Rich Buckler here in Memphis to push the line.

True, there were a lot of short-lived titles. But The Fly ran for nine issues, Blue Ribbon ran 14 issues, and Mighty Crusaders ran for 13. So they some mild success. You also left out Man-Tech Warriors, which ran for four issues, and I know this because I bought them all!

And as long as we're talking Red Circle, the Buckler era was actually the second one for the publishing line. It started in 1973 when Chilling Adventures of Sabrina turned into Chilling Adventures in Sorcery with the third issue (it ran until issue #5). I'm not sure, but I think I have all of the three Sorcery issues, which included some stunning Gray Morrow art.

Red Circle also ran Madhouse as a suspense anthology for three issues, #95-97 (1974), before reverting back to an Archie humor title, still called Madhouse. (The Title had previously been named Archie's Madhouse, Madhouse Ma-ad and Madhouse Glads.) Two superhero specials with mostly Mighty Comics reprints were released in 1979 with Red Circle trade dress.

It should be noted that by early 1984, the Red Circle logo was gone, replaced by "Archie Adventure Series". Thus Mighty Crusaders (for example) was "Red Circle" for its first five issues then back to being an "Archie" book with #6-13.

From what I read, Archie's publishers weren't happy with Rich Buckler's approach even though I was! Apparently they wanted a more Silver Age vibe that ultimately failed because the MLJ heroes' Silver Age wasn't good to begin with!

I think The Fly and Double Life of Private Strong were good in the Silver Age. Their books went south when they try to camp them up after the Batman TV show took off.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service