I've saved the original thread, and I'll transfer the posts across as time permits.

Painting of the Day (original series):

Winter by Nicolas Poussin, a French painter of the 17th century who worked for most of his career in Rome.

This is one of his series The Four Seasons, painted near the end of his life. Each depicts a Biblical scene. In this case the subject is Noah's flood. You can see the Ark in the background on the left.

Views: 3291

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'll be away for a couple of days, so for follow up, here's Attributes of Painting, Sculpture and Architecture by Anne Vallayer-Coster.

That is a masterful mustache. Something I could never pull off.

Under the Jacaranda, by R. Godfrey Rivers.

The jacaranda trees are striking Brisbane icons when they are in bloom.  The jacaranda season has been longer than usual this year, with the trees astoundingly well-laden with blossoms, perhaps due to the extremely dry winter we've had this year.  But all things must pass, and they are fading now...

(Just realised I work in the successor college to the one mentioned in that article.)

Very nice.

resurrected photo res.gif

I thought some might enjoy this article on the work of Piero di Cosmo, with whose name I wasn't familiar, at the website of The New York Review of Books. The article has links to similar articles at the bottom. My hat-tip to the site where I got the link.

This post displaced the thread New Comics for 20 May 2015 from the homepage.

"Before and after: X-ray paintings by Picasso, Van Gogh to reveal their surprising stories". Adult content.

This post displaced the thread DC You Roundup from the homepage.

Yellow-Red-Blue, 1925 - Wassily Kandinsky

I forgot to mention that the above is one of two Kandinski prints hanging in my home.

This is the other (Composition VI, 1913):

The Dallas Museum of Art has secured the loan of Caravaggio's masterpiece Martha and Mary Magdalene from the Detroit Institute of Arts for the summer, on view June 23 to Sept. 22.

In it, Caravaggio shows us Mary's sister, Martha, in the process of convincing her pagan sister to convert to Christianity and to see the light. In the scene, Martha is counting on her fingers the reasons for Mary to give up her sins.

The two women are so close to us in the picture that we feel as can touch them. And soon we realize that the artist has chosen precisely the moment when Mary's acceptance of Christ is recognized with a strong light shining dramatically upon her, as her sins disappear because they are repented.

This painting (and poem) is "Old Pine" by Suzuki Shōnen.

The north wind blows through trees, scattering leaves and raising dust.

The pine exists in solitude, its dark green color appearing fresh.

Soaring like a mountain by a deep river valley,

It is in winter that we see its spirit emerge….

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service