I've saved the original thread, and I'll transfer the posts across as time permits.

Painting of the Day (original series):

Winter by Nicolas Poussin, a French painter of the 17th century who worked for most of his career in Rome.

This is one of his series The Four Seasons, painted near the end of his life. Each depicts a Biblical scene. In this case the subject is Noah's flood. You can see the Ark in the background on the left.

Views: 3435

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is Portmerion, Wales ("The Village") by Rob Piercy.

“A Vicious Circle,” a painting of the Algonquin Round Table by artist Natalie Ascencios, which hangs in the Round Table room of NYC’s famed Algonquin Hotel. Featured in the painting, from left to right, are: (standing) Robert Benchley, Franklin Pierce Adams, Robert Sherwood, Harpo Marx, Alexander Woolcott, Marc Connelly, Edna Ferber, (seated) Dorothy Parker, Harold Ross, George S. Kaufman, Heywood Broun.

In 1919, at the end of World War I, a group of New York City writers gathered at the Algonquin Hotel in midtown Manhattan for a lunchtime "roast" to celebrate the return of theater critic Alexander Woolcott from his service as a war correspondent. Thus began a decade-long daily ritual for some of the era's most prominent artist-intellectuals. Dubbed "the Algonquin Round Table," regulars included Woolcott, writer and critic Dorothy Parker, playwright George S. Kaufman, actor and screenwriter Robert Benchley, novelist Edna Ferber, performer Harpo Marx, and Harold Ross, founder of The New Yorker magazine.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service