I've saved the original thread, and I'll transfer the posts across as time permits.

Painting of the Day (original series):

Winter by Nicolas Poussin, a French painter of the 17th century who worked for most of his career in Rome.

This is one of his series The Four Seasons, painted near the end of his life. Each depicts a Biblical scene. In this case the subject is Noah's flood. You can see the Ark in the background on the left.

Views: 4221

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for the warning, Luke. I'll at least wait until I'm off the Reference Desk! Eddie Campbell posted some really hot stuff on his blog yesterday, without a warning. Although I probably should have been suspicious when he said his topic was "pubic hair."
Luke Blanchard said:
Thanks for filling in again. I've not heard of Borsos before, but that's a nice portrait. How'd you come across it, Baron?

A Wikipedia link led me to a gallery of more of his works here.

I looked up "Hungarian painters" on Wikipedia.
I just noticed that the swan is holding Leda with his right wing, as if he had his arm around her. Wikipedia's article "Leda and the Swan" discusses the use of the theme in erotic art and isn't suitable to minors.

Painting of the Day: The Libyan Sibyl, by Michelangelo Buonarroti. Detail from the Sistine Chapel ceiling.

This image provides a closer look at her half of the ceiling. Some of the figures leap out of their places. This image shows a preparatory drawing for today's work (hat-tip; the biography).
Painting of the Day: The Madonna and Child with Saint John and the Angels, by Michelangelo Buonarroti.

According to Wikipedia, the painting is also known as the Manchester Madonna, and it's now widely accepted that it's by Michelangelo. I've not heard of it previously. The work is uncompleted.
Painting of the Day: The Torment of St. Antony, by Michelangelo Buonarroti (after an engraving by Martin Schongauer).

I've not heard of this painting previously either. According to Wikipedia's page on the work the attribution to Michelangelo has only recently been established, it was painted by Michelangelo "when he was only 12 or 13 years old", and the work is now held by the Kimbell Art Museum in Fort Worth, Texas.
Luke Blanchard said:
Painting of the Day: The Torment of St. Antony, by Michelangelo Buonarroti (after an engraving by Martin Schongauer).

I've not heard of this painting previously either. According to Wikipedia's page on the work the attribution to Michelangelo has only recently been established, it was painted by Michelangelo "when he was only 12 or 13 years old", and the work is now held by the Kimbell Art Museum in Fort Worth, Texas.

Wow, he was alot better than I was at that age.
Luke Blanchard said:

Hmm, that museum is only about an hour or so away from me.That would be cool to go see.
Painting of the Day: The Sistine Madonna, by Raphael.
Luke Blanchard said:
Painting of the Day: The Sistine Madonna, by Raphael.

The cherubim at the bottom look kind of bored...
I've long supposed they're supposed to look like bored choirboys. Wikipedia's page on putti calls them "relaxed and curious".
Painting of the Day: The Madonna of the Meadow, by Raphael.

The page here discusses its symbolism.
Frederick North, Second Earl of Guilford, as painted by Nathaniel D... Americans will remember him as "Lord North", chief henchman of "Farmer" George III during the American Revolution.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Dark Shadows
"On the "Dark Shadows Every Day" blog, member Prisoner of the Night posted the following…"
1 hour ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Sandman (TV)
"EPISODE 11: Has everyone watched the additional episode that dropped today? It is "Dream of a…"
1 hour ago
Richard Willis replied to ClarkKent_DC's discussion R.I.P. Tom Palmer
"He, Neal Adams and Gene Colon are probably coming up with some great pages."
1 hour ago
Doctor Hmmm? replied to Eric L. Sofer's discussion Are any new books worth it?
"Welcome back, Foges! Afraid I can't help you here. I squander all my $$$ on reprints."
3 hours ago
Doctor Hmmm? replied to ClarkKent_DC's discussion R.I.P. Tom Palmer
"How sad. One of my favorites."
3 hours ago
Tracy of Moon-T replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Dark Shadows
"He's a pompous a*s. He is mean and yells at her, basically grabs her and tosses her around,…"
4 hours ago
Travis Herrick (Modular Mod) replied to ClarkKent_DC's discussion R.I.P. Tom Palmer
"Aw, man, that's too bad. He was one of the first inkers, I recognized. It was always a…"
5 hours ago
Lee Houston, Junior replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Time for more excitement in the "fun" house. (Image courtesy of the Grand Comics…"
5 hours ago
Steve W replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
6 hours ago
Captain Comics posted discussions
6 hours ago
Captain Comics replied to ClarkKent_DC's discussion R.I.P. Tom Palmer
"From the Hollywood Reporter Heat Vision newsletter: SAD NEWS ARRIVED AS WE FINISHED THE NEWSLETTER:…"
6 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Sandman (TV)
""They make changes for all kinds of reasons..." The combination of issues #9 and #13 into…"
6 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service