Painting of the Day

I've saved the original thread, and I'll transfer the posts across as time permits. Painting of the Day (original series): Winter by Nicolas Poussin, a French painter of the 17th century who worked for most of his career in Rome. This is one of his series The Four Seasons, painted near the end of his life. Each depicts a Biblical scene. In this case the subject is Noah's flood. You can see the Ark in the background on the left.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Painting of the Day: A Man with a Quilted Sleeve, by Titian.

Held by the National Gallery, London. The museum's page on the work is here.
  • Today's choice, which I was led to by a collection of unusual links, requires a disturbing image warning.

Painting of the Day: Works by Lam Qua, depicting patients with grotesque medical conditions treated by American "medical missionary and diplomat" Peter Parker in Canton in the 1830s.
  • Luke Blanchard said:
    Today's choice, which I was led to by a collection of unusual links, requires a disturbing image warning.

Painting of the Day: Works by Lam Qua, depicting patients with grotesque medical conditions treated by American "medical missionary and diplomat" Peter Parker in Canton in the 1830s.

It is just pretty weird.
  • The Flagellation, by Piero della Francesca.

Back before I wrecked my old keyboard I was posting about artists of the earlier Renaissance. Piero is one of the most admired artists from this period. Wikipedia's page on this work, here, notes its use of perspective and discusses the identification of the figures in the foreground. The date Wikipedia assigns ("probably 1455–1460") makes it roughly contemporary with the birth of Leonardo (1452).
  • Luke Blanchard said:
    The Flagellation, by Piero della Francesca.

Back before I wrecked my old keyboard I was posting about artists of the earlier Renaissance. Piero is one of the most admired artists from this period. Wikipedia's page on this work, here, notes its use of perspective and discusses the identification of the figures in the foreground. The date Wikipedia assigns ("probably 1455–1460") makes it roughly contemporary with the birth of Leonardo (1452).

They had interesting hats back in them days.
  • Since we didn't get one up yesterday, I'll put this one up as an extra for today:

Green Hills and White Clouds, by Gao Kogong
  • Thanks, Baron. Wikipedia has a little about the artist here, but not much.

Painting of the Day: The Annunciation, by Fra Filippo Lippi.

Lippi also painted other Annunciations. Wikipedia dates this one c.1443-1450.
  • The Adoration of the Magi, by Gentile da Fabriano.

Gentile is seen as having persisted with a Gothic style. From 1423.
  • Matthew Boulton, by Carl Frederik voon Breda
  • Dunno if Luke's around today, or not. Until he gets here, here's The Bridle Path, by Winslow Homer.
This reply was deleted.