I'm going to regret this...

Unlike the other major superhero teams (the Justice Society, the Justice League, the Avengers, etc.), the Legion of Super-Heroes developed gradually, appearing as guest stars throughout all the Superman titles until they go their own series in Adventure Comics #300. As a result their early adventures were uneven and sometimes contradictive. I'll be rereading them in order to put things in perspective and point out the highlights (hopefully).

I have a great love for the Legion as it was the first book that I bought regularly without noticing that I was doing so. I will be using the Legion Archives for this so there will be minor appearances being skipped over. I welcome additions.

I will also try not to comment on events yet to happen, publishing wise and chronologically and focus on each story individually.

Beyond FIRST APPEARANCES, REJECTED APPLICANTS and COSTUME CHANGES I will be pointing out

• FUTURE FORGOTTEN--concepts introduced yet dropped just as quickly
  • "AS IF"--the Legion's rudeness factor which usually seques into...
  • SOBS OF STEEL ---how many times the Legion makes Superboy and Supergirl cry!
  • SUPER-ITIS--how often elements of the Superman mythos are seen in the series
  • PERSONAL THEORY--my own theories about the whys and hows of the Legion chronicles

First, let me say that I do not plan to visit any Legion sites while I do this. I may remember some facts about the stories but I am hoping not to regurgitate the same stuff over and over again. If it gets too repetitive, please let me know.

Second, I will add when I can and hope that you will all bear with me.

Third, this is a thread for all Legion fans but please don't get ahead of me! I'm not as fast as some of you. However any input is more than welcome!

Long Live the Legion!

Next: Greetings From the Future or "In Smallville One Day, Clark Kent Receives a Sudden Shock!"

Views: 7087

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Odd the Comics Code allowed spanking, or at least the suggestion of it. It does seem to have gotten stricter as the Silver Age continued, though. Lana's father actually says "spank:" whereas the Thing ended up saying "catch." The Superboy came out between FF#1 and #2, not too long before the FF scene, so perhaps DC could get away with more since it was a more powerful company at the time?

Why did he need Chameleon Boy to pretend to be him? What happened to all those robots? Did Ma Kent think him having that Lanabot was disturbing and told him he was too old to play with dolls?

I suspect the difference was that at DC, in this instance in particular, most of the spanking being done was the socially approved (at the time) parent disciplining a child sort (altho there may have been some husband spanking wife stuff, just for her own good, mind you, and I'm sure most of those would have been occurring in Lois' Imaginary Stories), so that made it all right, where the Thing spanking the Torch would have just been weird!

What was really weird was he starts to do this in front of her boyfriend, even asking his permission first.

I'll bet that someone could produce a dozen spanking panels from DC's Silver Age alone! But it won't be me!

I'll bet that someone could be me, but I'm not doing it either. I think I'd start looking with Wonder Woman...

The high-profile cover spankings that come to mind are from Superboy, but they're Pa Kent doing it to his son, which may be okay, especially since they make it clear that the only harm being done is to Pa. 

Even so, it's a good thing Fred Wertham wasn't doing a sequel, as a panel of an older man spanking a teen-age girl would've gotten a whole chapter. 

-- MSA

With Wonder Woman you could probably produce a dozen from the Golden Age.

There was a Harvey comic where Wendy the Good Little Witch's aunt decides to spank her for doing a good deed, but gets mixed up and spanks her head until another aunt points out her mistake. Wendy wanders off in a daze and suddenly realizes she has no idea who she is or why she's carrying around a broom.

Philip Portelli said:

Y'know, I wonder what the Girl Legionnaires thought about the way Superboy treated Lana?

The girl Legionnaires might not have liked it, but Lana had it coming, all the same.

It always mystifies me that some folks are so quick to criticise Superboy/man for his treatment of Lana/Lois.  If one will note, Superboy/man doesn't initiate such actions; they are always in response to some out-of-line antics pulled by Lana/Lois.

It's Lana (or Lois) who goes out of her way to pester Clark, to interfere with his activities as Superboy, to attempt by any means, fair or foul, to expose his greatest secret.  She initiates such rude and untoward behavior.

If Lana didn't act in such a manner, Superboy would never do anything harsh to Lana.  But Lana indulges in such outlandish actions, regardless of how nice the Boy of Steel is to her.

Lana, and later, Lois, deserve such treatment, and it's never bothered me when Superboy gives it to her in spades.  And frankly, Lana is lucky.  If I had been Superboy, the first time Lana tried to pull an identity-exposing stunt on me, I'd have vapourised her with my heat vision.

PETE ROSS:  "Hey, what happened to Lana?"

ME:  "You're breathing her."

Reminds me of an old joke I read somewhere years ago. Lois confronts Clark, insists he's Superman, and she'll prove it by jumping out the window of the Daily Planet. If Superman saves her it'll prove she's right, and she knows he'll save her because he always does. She jumps out the window...and plunges to her death since Clark, not wanting to reveal his secret identity, does nothing. Perry White opens his door a minute later.
White: "Kent! Where's Lois?"
Kent: "Lois? She, er, fell out the window, Chief!"

Weirdly, I just read a strange spanking scene last night in Captain Easy Vol. 4. He, Wash and a hanger-on named Emmy Lou are chasing "Wolf-Girl," a young woman who grew up in the wild and is, naturally, gorgeous. Anyway, she pulls all kinds of pranks on Easy & Co., and Easy loses his temper and, yes, spanks her.

That's not the weird part. That comes when Wolf-Girl's childhood memories surface as a result, specifically the ones where here father spanked her, so she starts calling Easy "Papa."

It didn't last long, but it was an uncomfortable couple of panels for Easy ... and, to tell you the truth, for me, too!

Mr. Silver Age said:

I'll bet that someone could produce a dozen spanking panels from DC's Silver Age alone! But it won't be me!

I'll bet that someone could be me, but I'm not doing it either. I think I'd start looking with Wonder Woman...

The high-profile cover spankings that come to mind are from Superboy, but they're Pa Kent doing it to his son, which may be okay, especially since they make it clear that the only harm being done is to Pa. 

Even so, it's a good thing Fred Wertham wasn't doing a sequel, as a panel of an older man spanking a teen-age girl would've gotten a whole chapter. 

-- MSA

What makes it disturbing is it's depicted as something that she needed.

Mad Monster Party (the puppet show with Boris Karloff) has the heroine, Francesca, become hysterical until the nerdy hero, Felix, slaps her face. This both snaps her out her hysterics and makes her fall madly in love with him. I've seen this happen in movies, including I think at least one with Humphrey Bogart, but it's strange seeing it in a cartoon made by Rankin Bass.

Ron M. said:

Reminds me of an old joke I read somewhere years ago. Lois confronts Clark, insists he's Superman, and she'll prove it by jumping out the window of the Daily Planet. If Superman saves her it'll prove she's right, and she knows he'll save her because he always does. She jumps out the window...and plunges to her death since Clark, not wanting to reveal his secret identity, does nothing. Perry White opens his door a minute later. White: "Kent! Where's Lois?"
Kent: "Lois? She, er, fell out the window, Chief!"

That joke probably originated in a short comic strip parody from the 1970s, drawn by Murphy Anderson (I am pretty certain), featuring exactly what you described. I don't remember where I saw it, but it's probably in a book I've got lying around somewhere.

It was somewhere in the 70s so I might be remembering the same book. I didn't own it and believe I must have read it somewhere like Woolco or KMart since I only saw a comic book store a couple of times in the 70s, and all I remember about that place was they had FF#3 for twenty dollars and were selling Amazing Adult Fantasies for a quarter each. Sadder I couldn't afford all the comics I wanted there and picked other comics that never went up in value. Seeing the prices for AAF now I wish I'd taken those instead.

It was PLOP! #5 (May-Jun 74): http://bullyscomics.blogspot.com/search/label/Plop

-- MSA

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service