I'm going to regret this...

Unlike the other major superhero teams (the Justice Society, the Justice League, the Avengers, etc.), the Legion of Super-Heroes developed gradually, appearing as guest stars throughout all the Superman titles until they go their own series in Adventure Comics #300. As a result their early adventures were uneven and sometimes contradictive. I'll be rereading them in order to put things in perspective and point out the highlights (hopefully).

I have a great love for the Legion as it was the first book that I bought regularly without noticing that I was doing so. I will be using the Legion Archives for this so there will be minor appearances being skipped over. I welcome additions.

I will also try not to comment on events yet to happen, publishing wise and chronologically and focus on each story individually.

Beyond FIRST APPEARANCES, REJECTED APPLICANTS and COSTUME CHANGES I will be pointing out

• FUTURE FORGOTTEN--concepts introduced yet dropped just as quickly
  • "AS IF"--the Legion's rudeness factor which usually seques into...
  • SOBS OF STEEL ---how many times the Legion makes Superboy and Supergirl cry!
  • SUPER-ITIS--how often elements of the Superman mythos are seen in the series
  • PERSONAL THEORY--my own theories about the whys and hows of the Legion chronicles

First, let me say that I do not plan to visit any Legion sites while I do this. I may remember some facts about the stories but I am hoping not to regurgitate the same stuff over and over again. If it gets too repetitive, please let me know.

Second, I will add when I can and hope that you will all bear with me.

Third, this is a thread for all Legion fans but please don't get ahead of me! I'm not as fast as some of you. However any input is more than welcome!

Long Live the Legion!

Next: Greetings From the Future or "In Smallville One Day, Clark Kent Receives a Sudden Shock!"

Views: 6775

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Philip Portelli said:

ADVENTURE COMICS #304 (Ja'63): The Stolen Super-Powers! by Jerry Siegel and John Forte.

Commander Benson has already discussed this landmark issue from August 2012 though I can't link to it or my specific comments so I'll have to rehash them as I still feel the same way.

Here you go, Phillip:  https://captaincomics.ning.com/profiles/blogs/deck-log-entry-145-th...

Thanks, Commander! I don't know why I couldn't do it!

While my efforts pale against yours, I truly appreciate your support!

Some other tidbits:

• Ultra Boy was still "Ultra-Boy".
  • Triplicate Girl, Phantom Girl and Shrinking Violet finally reappear.
  • Did Saturn Girl mentally sabotaged the others' tests so that they would "fail"? She was probably going to fail them regardless.
  • This was the first time Superboy and Supergirl were in the same Legion story which was the genesis of the post-hypnotic treatment on each other!
  • Mon-El was out of the Phantom Zone briefly.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2018   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service